Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hackintosh VM?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hackintosh VM?

HC_RoHC_Ro Member
edited January 2013 in General

So this just came up in a G+ hangout and I was wondering if this was possible or if there was any experience.

I assume the hypervisor node would need to have hardware compatable but I am not sure.

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Can be done in VMware, virtualbox, pretty much anything. Now is it worth doing? Not really. Can't run updates when you want. Never know what random app is going to cause a kernel panic. Performance varies from native to trash.

There are real mac vps though and they work fine. About as heavy on overhead as windows vps.

• Haha. Trying to tap into that untouched market?

• We need to host more public hangouts.

• being a hipster won't get you far, sir

Well, plus you've got the "I hate Mac" hipsters that would follow you around and trash talk you wherever you are, like flies to a horses butt ;)

• @jarland said: Well, plus you've got the "I hate Mac" hipsters that would follow you around and trash talk you wherever you are, like flies to a horses butt ;)

not that, but using Macs as servers
    really? what, why, where is the point

Who said servers?

• @jarland said: Can be done in VMware, virtualbox, pretty much anything. Now is it worth doing? Not really. Can't run updates when you want. Never know what random app is going to cause a kernel panic. Performance varies from native to trash.

There are real mac vps though and they work fine. About as heavy on overhead as windows vps.

>

I can't speak of virtual box and others, but if your running esxi you can do a standard install of osx and updates and everything work out of the box no messing around, hacking or tweaking.

esxi has supported osx hosts since v5. In theory its only supposed to be for mac hardware, but will run on any whitebox esxi installation. We've got it running on a couple of DL380's and I run it at home on a couple of my nodes too.

• @prae5 said: We've got it running on a couple of DL380's

You are running that in a business environment and are disrespecting the license agreement? You must have a good legal cost insurance.

• @skagerrak said: @prae5 said: We've got it running on a couple of DL380's

You are running that in a business environment and are disrespecting the license agreement? You must have a good legal cost insurance.

meh. its in a test lab

• earlearl Member
    edited January 2013

I tried Lion and Mountain Lion on vitualbox it works but the app store does crash once in a while but its still pretty useable.. Also the graphics tend to have pixelation mainly when your using the apps.

• MelitaMelita Member, Host Rep

Yes it's possible. 4 months ago I've successfully experimenting to run 10.8 mountain lion on VMWare, both in my Win7 and Win8 PC (regardless of hardware). I've forgetting what steps I do that time, though. Just following some reading in google.

The legality of doing that is also questionable. I don't think apple allows to run their OS in any VM environment. But my guilty feeling erased a bit since I also bought their macbook :p

• @gubbyte: what, why, where is the point

As Jarland said, VMs are useful as more than just servers. Mac-specific development comes to mind, especially contract work for systems like FileMaker. From a more daemonized standpoint, it could be greatly advantageous to have an OS X/iOS build system automatically generate nightly builds, automate update submission to the App Store, etc.

Also push notification server for iOS apps. Can be done elsewhere, easiest and cheapest with a Mac server.