Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Intel done making motherboards after 20 years
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Intel done making motherboards after 20 years

edited January 2013 in General

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/intel_quit_making_motherboards2013

After 20 years, Intel throws in towel on motherboards

In what will only be interpreted as more evidence of the dawn of the “Post PC era,” Intel announced today that it will quit the consumer motherboard business after 20 years and end all production and development of mainboards after its next CPU is introduced.

The company said it would wind down operations of its Intel Channel Board Division over the next three years with the final new designs released around the company’s upcoming “Haswell” CPU.

“We disclosed internally today that Intel’s Desktop Motherboard Business will begin slowly ramping down over the course of the next three years,” Intel spokesman Daniel Snyder told Maximum PC today. “As Intel gradually ramps down its motherboard business we are ramping up critical areas of the desktop space including integration of innovative solutions for the PC ecosystem such as reference design development, NUC, and other areas to be discussed later.

Pretty interesting, I've always used their boards too.

Comments

• It's not that Intel are not making motherboards anymore. The rumor is there will be NO motherboards quite soon (separately). The CPU and motherboard will be 1 package -- and it will be ALL Intel.

• Intel done having foxconn making Intel motherboards*

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Intel motherboards were always overpricing junk anyway. I've had more issues with them than with Biostar and ECS combined.

• Meh, nothing of loss...

• how about laptop motherboard- do intel make those? not that it would matter

• DamianDamian Member
    edited January 2013

@shovenose said: Intel motherboards were always overpricing junk anyway. I've had more issues with them than with Biostar and ECS combined.

This. I think I used Intel boards during Rambus days, since none of the '3rd party' manufacturers were making viable Rambus boards as a protest. Other than that, Asus and Gigabyte have been my go-to for consumer boards, and Tyan (though not so much anymore) and Supermicro have been my go-to for server boards. Have yet to have any problems

The only downside I can see to this announcement is that they wouldn't be making Atom motherboards anymore. But that might not be a downside; I just bought an Asus board with embedded AMD E-450 that uses less power and has more features (DDR3 in standard form, SATA 6.0gb, PCI-E slot) than the Atom D525-powered boards I was using.

• The Atom is a bit more powerful than the E-450, but if its power you're needing, I wouldn't expect an atom to be the first choice either.

I don't know, maybe it's not as much of a loss as I thought.

• @KernelSanders said: The Atom is a bit more powerful than the E-450, but if its power you're needing, I wouldn't expect an atom to be the first choice either.

Indeed, I went with the E-450 as I wanted a "low-power" solution that had a PCI-E slot and used standard-form-factor RAM. I was unable to find an Atom board that met this criteria

• The mobo on my main desktop is Foxconn, and it's pretty reliable, and cheap.

@Roph said: foxconn

• What I had noticed with Intel boards, is that once you disable all the features they have added to the board, it runs quite well for a long time. I have had a couple, and noticed I couldn't access the raid configs, or the onboard nics/usb would die in short time, etc. I found that when I disabled their raid features and used an real nic and ran through the bios and unchecked whatever crap they literally threw in there(where was QA at Intel on this), I would have a descent running machine.

• PatsPats Member
    edited January 2013

@dano very true, i disabled intel motherboard from my list looong back and using asus, gigabyte for long - more features + value for money !!

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@Damian said: they wouldn't be making Atom motherboards anymore

That is exactly my problem too. They were selling here for some 70 dollars with passive cooling, really great for silent routers/servers. The only thing I didnt like with that was the lack of VT on cpu, but that was no problem of the board.

• @maounique I bought http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131875 and quite like it so far. It's sitting at home running memtest86+ since I'm waiting for drives from @Nick_A to arrive, so I don't know how Linux runs on it yet.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@Damian said: since I'm waiting for drives from @Nick_A to arrive, so I don't know how Linux runs on it yet.

Figured they would have arrived already. Another guy received his on Friday...

• @Maounique said: Well, I am celebrating an year since I am happy with it:

Ah, you already have it! I'm putting mine into a 1U case, without the little fan on top, and it still runs quite cool; ~116F / 46C.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Yes, but, I am running high virtualization on it (XCP with even one HVM) so I need the Turbo feature to kick in and stay on when I am accessing the win7 machine.
    If you do not cool it well in high load, Turbo will not work for long. I found out it is needed only during summer tho, the fan doesnt really kick in during the winter.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

This seems like a good deal:
    http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx?cm_sp=ShellShocker--1193165--01232013_1

• pcanpcan Member
    edited January 2013

This news from Intel is a bit disappointing but hardly unexpected. Distributor stocks have been at minimum level since last fall and no active marketing has been done in months. Intel boards, at least some of them, have been a good choice for system integration because they stayed on sale for at least a year (and maybe more); and because warranty is long, fast and easy to activate. The basic business-class boards are extremely reliable and have stable Windows drivers. Home/gaming Intel desktop board are a joke, as someone already wrote in this thread. I wonder if Intel has actually ever sold them - most distributors do not even bother to keep them in stock.
    I bought Intel boards by the hundreds in the past, but today there is no value anymore. Any big IT vendor is shipping the same thing with the same warranty at lower prices.

• My relative's Intel motherboard burned in just 4-5 years of his purchase, after running it 24/365, around 2009, then he was forced to get another low end one (a brand from china) and is using it ever since, he might be now in the last stage of composing his book "How I was robbed by Intel" :D
    But not real :p he's actually replacing that desktop now :) :)
    And Intel MB haven't been that good in my experience.