Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KVM VPS Located within New York City
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

KVM VPS Located within New York City

Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
edited January 2013 in Providers

Hello.

I understand there are way too many providers located in NYC (Or at least the surrounding areas). But is there any demand for a VPS actually located within Manhattan. To be specific, this would be in the Atlantic Metro Communications LGA1 facility.

We have been wanting to expand to the US for quite some time but we don't want to start up in an over-populated facility.

Your thoughts are appreciated :)

Comments

• I've never seen any request for a specific area within NYC. I would say that's rare enough it's not even worth consideration, unless you are targeting some niche market.

Who cares if a facility is "over-populated"? Sell the service, not the building.

• @Microlinux said: Who cares if a facility is "over-populated"? Sell the service, not the building.

We care, we like to be different.

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

@GetKVM_Ash said: But is there any demand for a VPS actually located within Manhattan

There is from me. I've not seen to many US KVM offers. They're out there, but there isn't that many. Not seen any in Manhattan that I know of, so I think there would be a demand :)

If all services have the Ash touch then I'm sure people will buy them!

• Can you point out some providers in NYC? I can't think of any. I'd like to have one, since it's so close to Buffalo.

• jhjh Member

@Damian said: Can you point out some providers in NYC?

www.thenynoc.com

• @jhadley said: www.thenynoc.com

Er, I meant in LEB range... though with the cost of NYC real estate, not sure if anyone in NYC could offer LEB price range.

• jhjh Member

@Damian - it's $1 over

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited January 2013

AlienVPS.
    Just saying :P

@GetKVM_Ash it could be interesting location because low latency to europe. NJ/NY usually means 20 - 30 ms less than other east coast LEB providers can offer.

• @Spirit said: AlienVPS.

Just saying :P

Where are they located?

• For the record, a test IPv4 would be 204.145.65.7 so any thoughts and comments on routing/latency are also appreciated.

• YES. I would love to get New York City (and have been trying to find a provider actually located in the datacenter downtown). YES YES YES

• 35ms to my home connection.

Yes

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited January 2013

@GetKVM_Ash said: Where are they located?

I have no clue in which DC. You can try test IP 199.167.198.7

• Atlantic Metro has a good network. Would consider it.

• NY indeed has a very good latency to Europa.

• @SwordfishBE said: NY indeed has a very good latency to Europa.

I didn't know they had internet on Europa.

• I think the problem has been that NYC is very expensive. This is why people have went to NJ, Buffalo and other nearby areas, but there is demand.

• pcanpcan Member
    edited January 2013

@SwordfishBE said: NY indeed has a very good latency to Europa.

Latency to 204.145.65.7 from my home location in Europe is actually 8 ms worse than to my Buyvm VPS in Buffalo. I measure the same difference if I start a ping from a Prometeus VPS.

• How those in Europe - how does NYC, Buffalo, NJ etc compare to each other?

• @Kairus said: I didn't know they had internet on Europa.

Yuup, we do

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited January 2013

@concerto49

Around 150ms to Tampa
    Around 140ms to Buffalo
    Around 130ms to Baltimore or Scranton
    Around 115ms to NJ/NYC for me (from central-southeastern part of europe)

• tuxtux Member

@GetKVM_Ash said: Where are they located?

Previously they used Ubiquity Servers in New York.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2013

URpad have NYC as far as I know. @manndude may be able to confirm.

Not KVM though, and +1 Ash for KVM in NYC.

• We have two offers currently which meet our budget. One in the DC mentioned here in NYC and one within the Coresite facility in Miami. Great to see positive feedback!

• @Kairus said: I didn't know they had internet on Europa.

Little typo :p Good one!

• @GetKVM_Ash said: one within the Coresite facility in Miami.

Quadranet? Miami is a different market though.

@Spirit said: Around 115ms to NJ/NYC for me (from central southeastern part of europe)

This looks interesting. Hm... definitely worth some thought.

• @Infinity: They stopped offering NYC (I think... )

• Buffalo should be < 15ms additional latency compared to NY/NJ combined NYC metro area. Can vary though depending on routes and providers.

I often see around 10ms to NYC.

• @pubcrawler said: I often see around 10ms to NYC.

It's not that significant then except for game servers, VOIP etc... not exactly worth the fuss. However, if there is better bandwidth, more providers and better connection overall it might be a different story.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

How expensive are they? Would think NYC is crazy pricey.