Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for A STABLE Hong Kong VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for A STABLE Hong Kong VPS

GreenVineGreenVine Member
edited February 2016 in Requests

Hi all

I am looking for a stable Hong Kong VPS that optimised for mainland China.

2-4GB RAM

1-3 Cores

Preferred 100GB+ HDD, if SSD 50-80GB is enough

Bandwidth: 100Mbps - 1Gbps, 500GB+

I will host a cPanel server on it so it must be stable, could accept at most $25/mo exclude license fee.

No Hostus please, I woke up everyday with tons of monitor emails said my server goes down.

Comments

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

Are you sure your monitor doesn't suck?

• bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider

Why do you need 1Gbps if you use 500GB+? 600GB is 2Mbps per month full usage or 0.002% of 1Gbps?! You can look at 100Mbps options or maybe 50Mbps options.

• cPanel = $11 cost.
    China Direct Transit = $35-60 per Mbps

4GB RAM?

• Radi said: Are you sure your monitor doesn't suck?

No, every time I checked manually.

I am not joking Hostus started maintenance of their control panel (without prior notice) and now I cannot even access to my VPS panel.

https://my.hostus.us/clientarea.php

• dediserve said: cPanel = $11 cost. China Direct Transit = $35-60 per Mbps

The price did not include cPanel license, well I did not mean CDT, have fast connection to mainland China is fine.

• Hosthatch?

• thuanbuithuanbui Member
    edited February 2016

How often is your HostUS offline?
    I am considering get a HK server of HostUS but I may need to think again after reading your feedback

• thuanbui said: How often is your HostUS offline? I am considering get a HK server of HostUS but I may need to think again after reading your feedback

Every second day at least for me, this is my first month and I decided to move out.

Thanked by 1thuanbui
  • @GreenVine

You seem to be either very unlucky or your monitoring just sucks.

@thuanbui

Check the official provider poll thread 2015.

If you search for HostUs you will quickly notice, that its got a great reputation and many people use it. No idea what @GreenVine is talking about. Also lack the proofs or just any more details on his so called 'monitoring'.

• @Wolf said:

I am a customer of HostUS for almost a year, and I love my LA box with HostUS. I even voted for them in the last quarter top provider poll.

Waiting for proof and feedback from HostUS regarding this feedback before making my decision.

• GreenVineGreenVine Member
    edited February 2016

@Wolf said:
    GreenVine

You seem to be either very unlucky or your monitoring just sucks.

I mentioned that I always manually check my server and setup own script to do ping/http test also.

This was a screenshot from my monitoring service.

Columns are: domain name (hidden), IP address, failure start time, end time, duration (min / sec)

@thuanbui I am not going to discourage you from using their service, give a go first and wait. If I am the only unlucky one maybe I will terminate and re-order one uhh

• @GreenVine

How does the monitoring perform these checks?

Could it be that due to its distance the ping / response takes too long, which results in false positives?

Cus all I see are some 'odd' 3-10second gaps, in which the monitoring claims the website was offline. Due to the fact that this amount of issues would have been noticed by the LowEndDetectives, I'd bet on a misconfigured monitoring.

Did you contact their support?

• Btw do you check your website manually ? I never trust monitoring tools 100%.

For 2-4 GB ram it's really difficult to find such provider.

Check gigsgigscloud, a bit over your budget. Dont ask me about them since I never use them

• @Wolf

How does the monitoring perform these checks?

Could it be that due to its distance the ping / response takes too long, which results in false positives?

Cus all I see are some 'odd' 3-10second gaps, in which the monitoring claims the website was offline. Due to the fact that this amount of issues would have been noticed by the LowEndDetectives, I'd bet on a misconfigured monitoring.

Basically they do Ping and HTTP GET from several nodes, and if most/all (not sure) nodes detected downtime then they will mark it down.

Did you contact their support?

I did have contacted HostUS today and they replied me after 2 hours said server was running fine.

FYI, this is a empty cPanel server with no accounts setup, so won't be a load issue.

• doughmanesdoughmanes Member
    edited February 2016

I'd take these issues with a grain of salt, anybody who has worked for a hosting provider with servers in Los Angeles know about the issues with Internet access in the country of the OP

Thanked by 2Kris namhuy
  • doughmanes said: I'd take these issues with a grain of salt, anybody who has worked for a hosting provider with servers in Los Angeles know about the issues with Internet access in the country of the OP

Well my node is on their HK datacenter, not in LA

• @Wolf said: (…) Check the official provider poll thread 2015.

If you search for HostUs you will quickly notice, that its got a great reputation and many people use it…

Question is how many of those votes pertain to the HK node. Great network in one location does not imply same in another. Refer to numerous posts, at one time or another, with complaints about Vultr in Tokyo and Sydney only (out of total 14 locations). On the other hand, OP displays limited knowledge on how his monitoring works. Indiscriminate disruptions in connectivity from China are the norm and getting worse by the day. Looking forward to comments from others here using the HK node…

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • aglodek said: On the other hand, OP displays limited knowledge on how his monitoring works. Indiscriminate disruptions in connectivity from China are the norm and getting worse by the day. Looking forward to comments from others here using the HK node

The techniques I used to monitor servers, one from DNSPod (China-based), the other is my own scripts that do ICMP Ping and HTTP test from USA and Australia. Even though I regularly do manual check.

I am living in Australia but this server is majorly serving mainland China users.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@GreenVine said:
    I am living in Australia but this server is majorly serving mainland China users.

Please PM me your IP and I'll be able to check this for you.

Alexander

Thanked by 1GreenVine
  • GreenVineGreenVine Member
    edited February 2016

@AlexanderM said:

PMed, thanks :)