Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for /another/ UK host.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for /another/ UK host.

FionnFionn Member
edited January 2013 in Providers

First I was with Evorack, but was having trouble with them and decided to leave (didn't answer my tickets or attempt to resolve any of my problems, that were to do with their network).

Then, I moved to Inception Hosting, and within the first month the VPS went down twice (and is still down now, along with their site).

My usage is production, which means that everything has to run flawlessly and have as much uptime as possible. It's for running a busy IRC server, and it really needs to stay up.

I only need 512MB RAM, for anywhere between €8-€14 and it must be either Xen or KVM. 500GB minimum b/w, at least 100Mbit connection and 10GB disk space. And of course, it must be situated in the UK.

If anyone can strongly recommend a host to me other than the ones above, or if any providers feel they can work out a deal like above, I'd love it if you could reply. Thanks :)

Comments

• jhjh Member

Hi Fionn

I can do:
    10GB SSD RAID10
    512MB RAM
    500GB BW
    KVM/OnApp
    £10/month

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

@jhadley said: Hi Fionn

I can do:

10GB SSD RAID10
    512MB RAM
    500GB BW
    KVM/OnApp
    £10/month

Vouch for this guy :)

• @Jack said: Incorrect , RAIDCard died and the client area is up.

http://clients.inceptionhosting.com/announcements.php

Well, when I last checked it was down. But either way, this is twice in less than a month and it's unacceptable for my use.

@jhadley said: Hi Fionn

I can do:

10GB SSD RAID10
    512MB RAM
    500GB BW
    KVM/OnApp
    £10/month

Sounds good! Could you perhaps provide me with uptime stats from your nodes? And whereabouts in the UK?

• Why Xen, or KVM? will OVZ not suffice?

• mpkossenmpkossen Member
    edited January 2013

Well, let me know if you found one! I tried NCES, OpenITC, HttpZoom and NodeDeploy: all of them had one problem or the other. LoveVPS is one I haven't tried (not sure if they offer KVM), but they don't have IPv6. UGVPS was going to open UK KVM offers but I don't know the status of that.

-Virt.io comes to mind, but they may be over your budget (I can't reach their site atm).-

• @Jacob said: Why Xen, or KVM? will OVZ not suffice?

My experience with OpenVZ hosts has been generally bad, with hosts overselling resources and my VPS ending up slowing down, going down or becoming unusable in some cases.

• @mpkossen said: Well, let me know if you found one! I tried NCES, OpenITC, HttpZoom and NodeDeploy: all of them had one problem or the other. LoveVPS is one I haven't tried (not sure if they offer KVM), but they don't have IPv6. UGVPS was going to open UK KVM offers but I don't know the status of that.

Virt.io comes to mind, but they may be over your budget (I can't reach their site atm).

Ah yes, IPv6 is also a must for me. I'll look at those too, thanks!

@mpkossen said: Virt.io comes to mind, but they may be over your budget (I can't reach their site atm).-

http://www.sysadmin.co.uk/vps-hosting/ - he merged it with this website.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited January 2013

Hmm. It honestly depends on the provider, but if you would like to give it a try, we've got a seven day cooling off period, during that time a refund is possible. But even after the seven days I wouldn't have a problem refunding it during the first month should you not be satisfied with the service provided.

(And you can hold me to that).

@Fionn said: OpenVZ hosts has been generally bad, with hosts overselling resources

• jhjh Member
    edited January 2013

Could you perhaps provide me with uptime stats from your nodes?

Node 1 (up the since it was bought 6 months ago)
    [root@MAI-R1-DED28 ~]# uptime
    17:37:55 up 195 days, 6:31, 4 users, load average: 5.80, 5.22, 3.30

Node 2 (up since it was bought 1 month ago)
    [root@MAI-R4-DED24 ~]# uptime
    17:38:44 up 23 days, 18:26, 3 users, load average: 0.59, 0.87, 0.98

And whereabouts in the UK?
    Custodian DC in Kent

IPv6 available

@Jack said: UGVPS

Also vouch :) Crystal is a great guy and am sure he would work out stuff with @sean if he did owe anything.

• @jhadley said: Could you perhaps provide me with uptime stats from your nodes?

Node 1 (up the since it was bought 6 months ago)

[root@MAI-R1-DED28 ~]# uptime
    17:37:55 up 195 days, 6:31, 4 users, load average: 5.80, 5.22, 3.30

Node 2 (up since it was bought 1 month ago)

[root@MAI-R4-DED24 ~]# uptime
    17:38:44 up 23 days, 18:26, 3 users, load average: 0.59, 0.87, 0.98

And whereabouts in the UK?

Custodian DC in Kent

Nice! Seems like a viable choice then. Would you be able to set me up a VM with those specs and I could test it for 7 days to see how it runs? If I'm happy I'll stick with you after that :)

@Jack said: According to Sean there is an outstanding invoice therefore they still ow him funds.

Ah, i'll drop Crystal a note to this thread for yas :)

• @mpkossen What issues are you having barr then little ddos attack we experienced? It's been stable ever since (and before)

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited January 2013

@mpkossen said: I tried ... OpenITC, HttpZoom ...

Out of curiosity - what problem did you face with those two companies?

@Fionn there's also always excellent AllSimple Xen http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/6385 (IPv6 available).

• wroxwrox Member
    edited January 2013

@dominicl Last time I checked, Crystal was a girl. cmiiw

@Fionn I like NECS. They can provide you

1x IPv4, 5x IPv6
    25GB HDD RAID10 (plus 15GB free backup space)
    4x vCPU cores
    512MB RAM
    1750GB BW
    KVM
    with a 1gbps connection for £10/month.

http://www.necs.co.uk/kvm-vps-hosting/

• LV_MattLV_Matt Member
    edited January 2013

Hello,

We can offer you the bellow:

512MB Ram
    25GB HDD (Hardware RAID 10)
    500GB B/W
    1x IPv4
    KVM

Custodian DC, Kent UK.

$7 / ~€5.30 / ~£4.50

Upgrades in line with the price listed above.

• jhjh Member

@Fionn said: Would you be able to set me up a VM with those specs and I could test it for 7 days to see how it runs?

I can give you a 7 day MBG but not a trial I'm afraid.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited January 2013

Awkward moment, when crystal is really a woman.

@dominicl said: Crystal is a great guy

• @jhadley said: I can give you a 7 day MBG but not a trial I'm afraid.

Ah, no problem. I've bought one, first name is Fionn. Could you boost the SSD to 10GB and the b/w to 500GB? :)

• jhjh Member

@Fionn said: Could you boost the SSD to 10GB and the b/w to 500GB? :)

All done. Thanks!

• @dominicl said: http://www.sysadmin.co.uk/vps-hosting/ - he merged it with this website.

Cool, thanks!

@jhadley: perhaps you can redirect virt.io there? It seems like you're gone now.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@Fionn Indeed the node is down, sadly on both occasions it is down to hardware but I agree any customer on node 10 has had a rough month.

Data is being recovered on to a new node now, sorry for the issues and I understand why you are moving on, I would probably do the same.

Anthony.

• jhjh Member

@mpkossen said: perhaps you can redirect virt.io there? It seems like you're gone now.

Another company will likely be buying that domain very soon as they operate brands called VirtIO in a few different countries.

• FionnFionn Member
    edited January 2013

@AnthonySmith said: Indeed the node is down, sadly on both occasions it is down to hardware but I agree any customer on node 10 has had a rough month.

Data is being recovered on to a new node now, sorry for the issues and I understand why you are moving on, I would probably do the same.

Anthony.

Thanks for your understanding. I must say though you were very helpful and giving me a month free was very generous of you :) Good luck in the future!

@jhadley said: All done. Thanks!

Not sure why, but I am unable to set up a VM. I keep getting this error message: http://d.pr/i/pnPE

I'm using FreeBSD as the OS and setting things up as per your intro video :)

• @BradND said: @mpkossen What issues are you having barr then little ddos attack we experienced? It's been stable ever since (and before)

You're the only one I didn't have performance issues with. I found the no SSL a little disturbing (the responses to that ticket even more so, even though the intentions were good). Other than that the service I had was just fine: proper ticket responses and a good server. It's just that providers that don't get SSL (before me telling them about it) are ones that I usually don't recommend.

@Spirit said: Out of curiosity - what problem did you face with those two companies?

OpenITC had the poorest disk performance I've ever experienced. I don't know what kind of disks they are using, but I always had less than 25 MB/s write speeds. Also, order validation (my first order ever to be held for manual review) and support responses were slow. Their control panel, pricing and server specs are superb though. It's just performance & support that weren't good.

HttpZoom didn't have Ubuntu 12.04 at the time (it was like 6 months back or so) and the image they pulled for me wasn't working. Also, the SSL story.

• jhjh Member

@Fionn said: a month free

News to me...

@Fionn said: Not sure why, but I am unable to set up a VM. I keep getting this error message: http://d.pr/i/pnPE

Is that when you click the final create button? Email me at [email protected] and I'll look at it.

• @mpkossen Ah right on solusvm AFAIK. Self signed is completely fine, but a valid one always looks better.

• @BradND said: Ah right on solusvm AFAIK. Self signed is completely fine, but a valid one always looks better.

Yep, SolusVM it was :) Self-signed is fine, but scares off most people. A link to the non-SSL version in the welcome e-mail is less fine, but that has been correct (AFAIK).

• tuxtux Member

@mpkossen said: OpenITC had the poorest disk performance I've ever experienced. I don't know what kind of disks they are using, but I always had less than 25 MB/s write speeds.

Maybe you are on wrong node or your configuration is not best. My VPS is on kvm01 node and it gives more than 70 MB/s.