Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to export Thunderbird emails to IMAP server ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to export Thunderbird emails to IMAP server ?

loydloyd Member
edited February 2016 in General

I lost my server (Delimiter) and backup is few days old. My Thunderbird accounts are set to keep messages on the computer, so the profile has them all.

It is not critical but I would like those couple days of email between last backup and server outage restored. Anyone knows of a way to restore mailboxes from TB profile into IMAP server ?

Comments

• Whenever I have to do this it is as simple as creating the new account and Drag'n'Drop the mails into the folders of the new IMAP account, Thunderbird then uploads them.

Thanked by 2loyd Lm85H4gFkh3wk3
  • loydloyd Member
    edited February 2016

I was looking for export functionality all over and yet it's so simple :)

Thanks a million!

• @loyd I haven't used Thunderbird all that much, and certainly not been in this situation; however try something like:

1. Create a new IMAP account in thunderbird.

2. Select all the emails, right click, select ‘move’, move them to your new IMAP inbox, (by default Thunderbird should sync emails with the new mail server, so it will begin to upload all the moved emails to the server.)

3. All the uploaded emails will likely be marked as unread, but that probably doesn't matter to you considering what you have been through with Delimeter.

Cheers

Thanked by 1loyd
  • @GetServerHosting said:
    3. All the uploaded emails will likely be marked as unread, but that probably doesn't matter to you considering what you have been through with Delimeter.

Cheers

There is 3.5G of emails and I have realistic 800kbps upstream here at home due to DSL line limitations so this may take a while :) Just uploading 7-zipped backups to new server on Monday night took over 5hrs, but I am very happy this is possible. Thanks!

• @loyd You better get started then ;-). Happy to help! Post back if it works...

Thanked by 1loyd
  • RalliasRallias Member
    edited February 2016

BEFORE you add the new account, make sure you moved all the email to a new folder. That's bit me in the ass before.

• edited February 2016

@Rallias said:
    BEFORE you add the new account, make sure you moved all the email to a new folder. That's bit me in the ass before.

That sounds sensible to do @loyd

• loydloyd Member
    edited February 2016

@GetServerHosting said:
    loyd You better get started then ;-). Happy to help! Post back if it works...

Already started. First thing is to backup entire profile just in case. Had to restart it and close TB because it kept some files open. Will definitely post back how it went, I am most likely not the only one with this issue.