Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Serverdragon down
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Serverdragon down

japonjapon Member
edited January 2013 in General

Serverdragon seems to be down. Their Controlpanel, Client Area, Frontpage are not accessible, from either my connection, my VPSes, or with http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/serverdragon.com.

Was there some planned downtime? Afaik, they are not located in LV with Fiberhub.

Edit: Got hold of their twitter-account:

seems to be just the router config.

Comments

• From Twitter:

Wrong configuration file loaded on primary router. Failing over to backup router.

Source:

• Yep, my VPS with SD is down as is their web site.

Lol, this sucks, my primary NS is at SD and my secondary NS is at BuyVM. :(

@KuJoe is probably aware, but this post should ping him too.

• @ivanfilippov said: Lol, this sucks, my primary NS is at SD and my secondary NS is at BuyVM. :(

Same here, my two US VPSes are with them. And both are down now. Bad luck.

• Yeah, I sorta freaked out when my VPN stopped working and I couldn't access their site, solusvm or client portal. Then I pinged my Florida DNS server and got scared when my other server, on a totally different node was down.

Joe will sort it out though. =]

• @ivanfilippov said: Lol, this sucks, my primary NS is at SD and my secondary NS is at BuyVM. :(

And that's why you need to have at least 3 nameservers, it almost never happens but it happens.

• @vedran said: And that's why you need to have at least 3 nameservers, it almost never happens but it happens.

3 everything if possible

• Or just use rage4.com for DNS. They have like 20 servers around the world.

• Third DNS - LocalISP.

• @rds100 said: Or just use rage4.com for DNS. They have like 20 servers around the world.

Where's the fun in having someone else do it? ;)

• Or have 8 nameservers. Because I like Nameservers

• Lol I spun down my third NS last month during a migration to powerdns, after a year of no serious outages on any of the three. :(

• @ivanfilippov Murphy is teaching you a lesson then ;-)

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member
    edited January 2013

Anyone care to write up a LEB tutorial on setting up redundant NS with, say, 128MB of RAM?

• @zhuanyi said: Anyone care to write up a LEB tutorial on setting up redundant NS with, say, 128MB of RAM?

I personally use cPanel DNS Only and that requires at minimum 256MB of RAM.

To my knowledge DNS servers should have a minimum of 256MB.

You can always setup your own cluster of Webmin.

I'm not too used to it but I do know some people use PowerDNS

• MiguelQMiguelQ Member
    edited January 2013

@zhuanyi said: Anyone care to write up a LEB tutorial on setting up redundant NS with, say, 128MB of RAM?

I can only suggest to use a low-mem daemon such as nsd

• @HalfEatenPie said: To my knowledge DNS servers should have a minimum of 256MB.

Why that? Maradns runs fine with on a 32MB VPS.

• @japon said: Why that? Maradns runs fine with on a 32MB VPS.

Oh. I've actually never used MaraDNS and if that works then great (obviously I was more focused on DNS servers that are compatible with cPanel and other similar services, which obviously are memory hogs).

A general rule of Thumb I go with is bind and NSD need minimum of 256MB (may be a waste of resources, but all of my DNS servers are on 1GB RAM VPSes).

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited January 2013

@HalfEatenPie said: A general rule of Thumb I go with is bind and NSD need minimum of 256MB

Bind yes, NSD no :) NSD can serve hundreds of domains in a few MB of RAM. A 32MB VPS works just fine.

• @sleddog said: Bind yes, NSD no :) NSD can server hundreds of domains in a few MB of RAM. A 32MB VPS works just fine.

Oh. Well you got me there then.

• @HalfEatenPie said: I personally use cPanel DNS Only and that requires at minimum 256MB of RAM.

This has been dis-proven countless times here.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Back online. Eff DDOS mitigation software and eff BGP. :(

Failed over to the backup router normally without issues. Then I tried repairing the primary router and caused our DC's routers to not want to establish a BGP session with us. While trying to fix the primary router the backup router started working again out of nowhere for no reason. I hate Murphy.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@KuJoe said: I hate Murphy.

Well, I think you cant have it much worse than Francisco and the gang. After finally almost everything in place, power decides to take a break a few times...

• It's still down...

• Down again.

• MiguelQMiguelQ Member
    edited January 2013

twitter down as well?

nm... I need coffee

• Down again :/

• It's one of those days...

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

This makes no sense. While rebuilding the primary router for the 2nd time our network went down again. I powered off the primary router but our backup router is not coming back up although all DDOS Protected IPs are online still which also makes no sense. God I hate networking so much. :(

• @KuJoe sounds like the protected ips announced by CN head home to you via a GRE tunnel, and your issue is more with bgp and your /22's ( Dampinfo: penalty 1297, flapped 15 times in 00:48:58, reuse in 00:00:54 )

No idea how you're set up, but if you're stuck and need a hand pm and I can try to help.

• @KuJoe said: This makes no sense. While rebuilding the primary router for the 2nd time our network went down again. I powered off the primary router but our backup router is not coming back up although all DDOS Protected IPs are online still which also makes no sense. God I hate networking so much. :(

Is BGP Sessions setup on the backup Layer 3 Switch/Router? If not that is probably why.