Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some general question to VPS/Root/Dedicated Servers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Some general question to VPS/Root/Dedicated Servers

So if I got this right with a KVM Server you have more ressources reserved for you. Apparently a KVM Server I am renting has reserved ressources (Storage and RAM for me) and I currently have vCores assigned to it. Now I was being offered changing into a plan with DEDICATED Cores. Now my question is: If I have reserved storage and ressources and also dedicated cpu cores assigned to my server where is even the difference to a dedicated (performance whise?!). Shouldnt I already have everything possible 100% assigned to me aside from the shared bandwith?

Comments

• @Ympker said:
    So if I got this right with a KVM Server you have more ressources reserved for you. Apparently a KVM Server I am renting has reserved ressources (Storage and RAM for me) >and I currently have vCores assigned to it. Now I was being offered changing into a plan with DEDICATED Cores. Now my question is: If I have reserved storage and ressources and >also dedicated cpu cores assigned to my server where is even the difference to a dedicated (performance whise?!). Shouldnt I already have everything possible 100% >assigned to me aside from the shared bandwith?

yes because by their nature kvm & xen hvm resources for each vm is dedicated to that vm only.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • simonindiasimonindia Member
    edited February 2016

@Ympker said:
    So if I got this right with a KVM Server you have more ressources reserved for you. Apparently a KVM Server I am renting has reserved ressources (Storage and RAM for me) and I currently have vCores assigned to it. Now I was being offered changing into a plan with DEDICATED Cores. Now my question is: If I have reserved storage and ressources and also dedicated cpu cores assigned to my server where is even the difference to a dedicated (performance whise?!). Shouldnt I already have everything possible 100% assigned to me aside from the shared bandwith?

@Ympker sorry can you explain you question better

• @simonindia said:
    sorry can you explain better.

yes xen hvm and kvm are full virtualization which means they can run windows and any os really as they are technically like a dedicated machine since it is full virtualization it makes it impossible unlike openvz to be able to have "burst" resources that aren't really dedicated to you and can be recovered by the hypervisor at any time that isn't the case for kvm and xen-hvm as they are full virtualization and therefore there resources are dedicated to that vps only no other vps can have those resources like openvz does.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @timnboys said:
    yes xen hvm and kvm are full virtualization which means they can run windows and any os really as they are technically like a dedicated machine since it is full virtualization it makes it impossible unlike openvz to be able to have "burst" resources that aren't really dedicated to you and can be recovered by the hypervisor at any time that isn't the case for kvm and xen-hvm as they are full virtualization and therefore there resources are dedicated to that vps only no other vps can have those resources like openvz does.

@timnboy

I know about KVM XEN OpenVz virtulizations but the ▲ questions is for @Ympker

i apologize for the confusion

• @simonindia said:

I just wanted to know what the difference (performance whise) of a kvm server with dedicated cpu cores and a real dedicated server is aside that the kvm uses a shared network port :P

• simonindiasimonindia Member
    edited February 2016

some times KVM is good like when you compare

DEDI
    Atom N2800/4GB ram/500GB-HDD/100Mbs portspeed

vs

KVM
    2 cores of E5-2699/4GB ram/500GB-HDD(space)/1Gig-e portspeed

then clearly the KVM will be better choice but it all comes to host node specs and requirements

IO and Host node specs will key things here make your choice

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • wwabbitwwabbit Member
    edited February 2016

Ympker said: So if I got this right with a KVM Server you have more ressources reserved for you. Apparently a KVM Server I am renting has reserved ressources (Storage and RAM for me) and I currently have vCores assigned to it. Now I was being offered changing into a plan with DEDICATED Cores. Now my question is: If I have reserved storage and ressources and also dedicated cpu cores assigned to my server where is even the difference to a dedicated (performance whise?!). Shouldnt I already have everything possible 100% assigned to me aside from the shared bandwith?

In the KVM, your vCPUs are still shared with other VMs. If you are assigned 4 vCPUs it means you can use up to 4 cores at once, but they are still shared, and there is some arbitrarily set limit on how often and how long you can use all 4 cores at 100%.

With dedicated cores, your assigned core is not shared with other VMs, and you can use 100% of the core 24/7.

Whether a normal VPS, a dedicated-CPU VPS or a dedicated server is best for you really depends on your use case.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

With KVM the resources are shared and it is still possible to oversell. CPU can be oversold even if it says dedicated cores, RAM can be oversold by using swap on the host system, storage can be oversold by using qcow2 or LVM thin provisioning.

So if you ask for a difference between KVM VPS and dedicated server, the answer is that with dedicated server you can be sure the resources are 100% yours.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited February 2016

Ympker said: So if I got this right with a KVM Server you have more ressources reserved for you. Apparently a KVM Server I am renting has reserved ressources (Storage and RAM for me) and I currently have vCores assigned to it. Now I was being offered changing into a plan with DEDICATED Cores. Now my question is: If I have reserved storage and ressources and also dedicated cpu cores assigned to my server where is even the difference to a dedicated (performance whise?!). Shouldnt I already have everything possible 100% assigned to me aside from the shared bandwith?

No. You still are in shared hard drive. So, you share among others a hard disc, with their I/O limits. Also, you share network port. If the provider is trusted (by that I mean he is not cheating and he really gives you dedicated resources) and he assigned toy you dedicated cores, you have RAM and CPU only for you, but I/O is also very important for the performance of the whole node.
    TL'DR It is more close to a dedicated server, but not the same, you still share some things

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @jvnadr said:
    TL'DR It is more close to a dedicated server, but not the same, you still share some things

Thanks mate :)

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited February 2016

exception0x876 said: So if you ask for a difference between KVM VPS and dedicated server, the answer is that with dedicated server you can be sure the resources are 100% yours.

As some recent events suggest even on a dedicated server the electricity power and cooling are oversold sometimes. So if all dedicated server customers decide to try to run their dedicated servers at 100% CPU load for some time, hell breaks loose.

Thanked by 1msg7086
  • rds100 said: So if all dedicated server customers decide to try to run their dedicated servers at 100% CPU load for some time, hell breaks loose.

OK, this is going too far away! :p

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Ympker said: Thanks mate :)

Normaly, you won't need a dedicated cpu, except if you are going to host there cpu-intensive tasks (mining, gaming etc.). If it is for normal webhosting, it is better to start with normal vps and move to dedicated when needed. There are out there a lot of dedis with prices similar or even lower than cpu cores and you get real more than a vps (of course, it is depending on if you know how to manage it, but same applies also to an unmanaged vps).

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Ympker I thought you were setting up a VPS provider. This kind of question doesn't inspire confidence in your services.

• bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider

Well, it is possible to oversell with all virtualizations. Everything depends on provider. Only real dedicated server provides real resources.

• @VPSensational said:
    Ympker I thought you were setting up a VPS provider. This kind of question doesn't inspire confidence in your services.

huh don't worry he can always setup a new account ;)

/s

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • @rds100 said:

LowEndDedicatedDataCenter™

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited February 2016

@VPSensational said:
    Ympker I thought you were setting up a VPS provider. This kind of question doesn't inspire confidence in your services.

Well yeah a vps provider that is what i am aiming for at some rate. So far I have only been reselling servers without further doing than being a middle man, really. But right now I am about to build up a solid linux foundation in order to ensure that I will be able to offer a vps service that is more than just reselling.
    I will again not deny that I am not experienced in these endeavors yet and I encourage you again to have a good laugh if that's what you wanna do. I see no shame in falling down for failure is the phenomen described when we are staying down. That being said I will continue to do tutorials and try to spread the small knowledge I have always striving to expand it in order to reach perfection.

I will not need a second account for when the time has come and I have confidence in myself and my project it all comes down wheter I can meet my clients expectations or not as well as if my prices are competitive or not. I will try to optimize both to the utmost of my possibility and in the end it is the client who will decide wheter he deems my services to be worthy of his project.

"There is no such thing as useless effort."

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

rds100 said: As some recent events suggest even on a dedicated server the electricity power and cooling are oversold sometimes. So if all dedicated server customers decide to try to run their dedicated servers at 100% CPU load for some time, hell breaks loose.

I haven't read that long Delimiter thread...was that really the case?

• nalplynalply Member
    edited February 2016

It seems that the customers who had their blades up desperately tried to backup etc. and this drove up the heat. With each rack being turned on all the servers on the rack ran 100% for some time.

When my blade was up for about 30 minutes I did some temp readings but was not ready and got disconnected again.

It's like a bank run. A bank run for uptime.