Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good backup provider?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Good backup provider?

jaypeesmithjaypeesmith Member
edited February 2016 in Help

My current backup provider is having a major issue with the node on which my backup VPS lives. Regardless of the outcome, I will chalk this up as a lesson learned and either build in more redundancy in my backups or find a provider with a more solid solution.

If anyone can share with me what they are using, I would truly appreciate it.

Comments

• Amazon S3 - they can lose two datacenters and still have your data.

Thanked by 1gitreset
  • There is one thing about backups - you can never have too many of them.

So just get a second backup solution / provider, don't ditch the first one just because of some temporary downtime.

• MadMad Member
    edited February 2016

You can check out Backupsy or alternatively take a cheap storage dedicated server.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I backup VPSes three ways:

• to a BuyVM storage VPS. This is my primary backup because if I need a restore, bandwidth is abundant and speedy. SecureDragon is also a good choice but I've been with BuyVM a long time.

• to an Azure VM (only because I have MSDN, so it's free, and incoming bandwidth is free). Backup is cheap (free, actually) but restores would be expensive (something like 9 cents a GB for outgoing bandwidth).

• home. Bandwidth and disk are "free" in the sense that I already have them, and while restores would be "free" (since I would be paying for internet service anyway), they'd be slow.

Also, some of my providers provide backups.

The main problem is that if you back everything up 3x, you're using 3x the bandwidth :-) I should be fancy and backup to primary, then from primary to secondary, etc. but (1) complexity leads to brittleness, and (2) I'd need some kind of open source job control system and I've not run across a LEB-friendly one.

I've considered storing my backups on Dropbox but I sync to my laptop which has limited disk space that I'd rather not consume. I do also store them on CrashPlan, now that I think of it.

All of my backups (except from home) are push - backup client stages and SFTPs to master. Master chmods every 5 minutes so a compromised client can't nuke it's backups. I used to do a pull but grew nervous about having all backups and keys on one box in the cloud. I pull from home, but it's hard to get into my home, at least from the network...well actually considering my German Shepherd Dog, alarm system, and my wife, it's hard to get in at the physical layer, too :-)

1. Online.net
    2. time4vps
    3. OneDrive (1 TB from 365 office home premium)
    4. B2 (really expensive If I ever download from here)

sometimes I upload to transip stack (atm too lazy to write script ;))

Thanked by 1postcd
  • backupsy + r1soft

• I have been using a DRserver XEN backup VPS in Dallas with good results for 18 months or so.
    If you are ok with openVZ @foul (putthost) has been very reliable.

Thanked by 3Radi Brad Pwner
  • I paid more on backup than my production site, true story

• simonindiasimonindia Member
    edited February 2016

my backup is like this for productionrelated stuff

All data to Storage dedi(40TB(9TB actual data))(data will be processed and zipped)
    ▼
    Hubic[France]
    ▼
    Another DEDI (Redstation)(60TB)[UK]

Personal

Time4VPS
    ▼
    Hubic
    ▼
    Wholesale Internet(Just IMP stuff)

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

for backup try backupsy.com or altrernative cloud solution with multiple replication of data.

@simonindia those are the best LowEndVisio diagrams I've ever seen :-)

Thanked by 2simonindia vimalware
  • @raindog308 said:
    simonindia those are the best LowEndVisio diagrams I've ever seen :-)

Ok now i'm confused is this a compliment

simonindia said: Ok now i'm confused is this a compliment

Yes! I liked your arrows. Fancier than writing Dedi -> Hubic -> Another Dedi.

Thanked by 1simonindia
  • sinsin Member
    edited February 2016

I use my kidechire and a Ramnode $15/yearly.

I haven't tried them but Serverhub has some cheap VPSes with a lot of storage. You could also try picking up one of Dacentec's 2x2TB servers for $20/month.

and last but not least, there's Tarsnap! Tarsnap is the shit.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • Looks great if you like vendor lock in.

sin said: and last but not least, there's Tarsnap! Tarsnap is the shit.

• EthernetServers has cheap 400GB plans.

• We use Crashplan at work, seems to work just fine and is pretty cheap.

Thanked by 1jaypeesmith
  • RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

I may be able to come up with a deal for you for our backup VPS.
    What are your requirements exactly for it?

• Thank you all for the feedback. I'm leaning towards using another backup VPS I purchased, in conjunction with my Hubic account (with hubicfuse) for redundancy. I may even add a third option, since this situation has left me a little paranoid.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited February 2016

I have 3 backup vps for my critical boxes. Two of them are in the same DC/Provider (fliphost) with more than 600 days uptime (not the same content in the two boxes) and one of them in another provider. I also have 2 vps created on my own servers and backing up my boxes there, too.
    I keep vz-dump backup from my proxmox servers, individual backups from WP and Joomla installations (akeeba and x-backup), full mysql backups and a r-sync mirroring for my 2 most critical boxes.
    Also, I keep 2 different backups to my mail servers mirroring the mail accounts (I control them all) and another full backup to my mail server.
    So, 4-5 different backups with different types of them, constantly. As @raindog308, the bandwidth is multiplying with all of those backups (some are daily, some are weekly and some are monthly) but, If you have some critical production sites out there, IMHO it is better to buy a lot of cheapie boxes to have multiple backups instead of relying to an expensive but sole provider to trust all of your infrastructure.

• user123user123 Member
    edited February 2016

What do you guys do in terms of organizing and backing up confidential stuff that is spread out all over over multiple folders, multiple portable discs, and various versions? Sort of like school work accumulating over the years - projects, financial documents, and other random documents and large files - but confidential. What would your tips or strategies be for securely backing up a large volume and number of files of which only a few new ones are created or change often, but none of which can simply be uploaded to a cloud without being encrypted first...but backup has to be considerate of a limited line/bandwidth cap? To take it a step further, how would you automate it? The end user OS is Windows.

I know it's slightly off topic, but a couple more challenges for the LET (LowEndThinktank) community:
    1) how would you reconcile everything to a single drive before backing up if you had to do this?
    2) How do you come up with a balance between creating new root-/subroot-level folders vs just creating multiple subfolders? Using a schoolwork analogy, you could initially create root folders for each subject ("English," "Math," etc.), but would eventually discover that there is another higher layer of things (e.g. "Finances" - which would have subcategories of different bills)
    3) How would you archive older documents that are rarely used (e.g. into a folder called "Archived"?)...or would you even separate them?

• @raindog308 said:

Thanks

have a great day

• Why not get one from Prometeus ? They have very affordable FTP backup plans.

• r1soft and amazon are great backup options, but always keeping a backup made by you is a great idea.

• @user123 said:
    organizing and backing up confidential stuff that is spread out all over over multiple folders, multiple portable discs...The end user OS is Windows.

I'm in the process of doing this so maybe I can help. I consolidated everything to an internal 4TB E: drive, and to answer your question about folder structure, personal preference but I like having almost everything at the root instead of nesting folders. Using your example, instead of 'Math' subfolders I'd have

• Math-Algebra
    • Math-Logic
    • Math-WordProblems
      etc.

3) How would you archive older documents that are rarely used (e.g. into a folder called "Archived"?)...or would you even separate them?

These kind of meta distinctions are best handled through tags. You can use a program like XYPlorer which will allow you to tag your files and folders and keep those tags in its own database. If you don't want to mess with tags you can also batch 'stamp' your files or folders with a prefix (maybe with an Autohotkey script), and then put a saved search in your Windows Explorer sidebar to include/ exclude files & folders with the stamp.

Thanked by 1user123
  • zxplay vps & datashack dedi. and... I still can access my bqbackup account canceled years ago

• peixotormspeixotorms Member
    edited February 2016

I backup (encrypted) to amazon clouddrive hourly (with the unlimited plan - $60 yearly), using https://github.com/cloud-drive/acd_cli. Although Amazon is quite solid, I also have another box in Europe as a secondary failover backup.

• peixotormspeixotorms Member
    edited February 2016

lol... or you could backup to delimiter :p - they shouldn't have any downtime for a while, I hope.

• simonindia said: All data to Storage dedi(40TB(9TB actual data))(data will be processed and zipped)

Sorry to ask a dumb question but this means that prior to getting the data uploaded it has a size of 40TB and after compression it turns into 9 TB?
    Also, which method do you use to upload all that data?

• rclone is great of you have Dropbox, Google Drive and onedrive with enough space of course..