Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Haswell - is it really better than sandy bridge?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Haswell - is it really better than sandy bridge?

Hi

I need to help someone get a better machine. I'm looking for cheap, second hand cpu+mobo.

I checked what is available currently, and I'd like to know if the difference between haswell and sandy bridge is interesting regarding power saving and/or raw power.

A lga1150 motherboard might allow for an upgrade with a better haswell CPU later on, while with a mobo dor sandy bridge / lda 1155 that wouldn't be possible - but other than that, is there any value in going for an haswell rather than a sandy bridge?

Sandy bridge cpu & mobo can be found cheaper per performance ratio than an haswell, and I heard that anything after sandy bridge is harder to cool, so I guess it's harder to build a quiet machine, isn't it? If the perf increase is only 10% getting some second hand sandy bridge is probably the way to go for the better price/performance ratio...

Your thought?

Thanks!

Comments

• haswell offers a lot better single thread performance and a small increase in multi core. Personally i would still buy/use a E3 v1 and such.

Thanked by 1Gulf
  • vpsGODvpsGOD Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2016

haswell : transistor size was reduced, low power utilization, have added few advanced instruction set, As power utilization was reduced the heat dissipation also minimized
    Most latest processor has integrated graphics too

The performance depends on application how its built to make use of cores

• Get the Sandy bridge and save $$$

• Where does intel get these names from?

Thanked by 1Caster
  • bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider

Well, if older hardware is ok, I recommend to look at v2, it is still extremely powerfull. V3 gives about 8 - 10% more power, not very much.

• I think the consensus is that there's not a lot of gain. (Example review.)

I've found that for browsing, the bottle neck is actually the video card. Not being a gamer, I thought for a long time that on-board video was adequate for browsing. It isn't. Adding a cheap ($50) video card was like night and day. Forget the CPU, it's probably not your bottleneck.

• info_hashinfo_hash Member
    edited February 2016

Thanks guys!

That's the feeling I had. I'll go for the one I find a better deal, seems like the difference isn't worth much money.

@Ole_Juul in that case the bottleneck seems to be the CPU (an E5300).

TarZZ92 said: better single thread performance

Yeah, seems like there is some improvement in that but it's not an enormous one. An haswell dual core / celeron would pobably outperform an sandy bridge i3 in most desktop use though, thanks to better single core perf...

• ARM is the future.

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited February 2016

Raspberry pis with debian on them on watches.

What's the time jessie?

Kernel panic .. kernel panic.. Shutting down.

trvz said: ARM is the future.

• Whenever I bought a mobo+cpu thinking that I will upgrade the cpu in the future I didn't upgrade it.

buy the cheapest one that can achieve what you want.

• GM2015 said: Where does intel get these names from?

Magic ;)

• Haswell has much better integrated graphics

• Darwin said: Whenever I bought a mobo+cpu thinking that I will upgrade the cpu in the future I didn't upgrade it.

You're right on that one, I did the same. Sandy bridge will probably be more than enough, and when it will be time for an upgrade in several years from now, a 1155 or 1150 mobo won't make a big change...

hostnoob said: Haswell has much better integrated graphics

Really? Will read more on that, thanks.

• GM2015 said: Where does intel get these names from?

>

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_codenames

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul