Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Proxmox Help
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Proxmox Help

I recently brought a OVH server with 1 dedicated ip I also purchased a subnet of IPv4 addresses. I installed proxmox version 4.0 and I installed a windows ISO version I wish to use. Everything is working perfectly up to that point. Now I am trying to configure the network inside the virtual machines.

Main Server IP: 158.69.**.180
Add-On Subnet: 192.99.***.64/26

It is showing on proxmox that I have a Linux bridge already configured:

My question is do I need to create another bridge for KVM? I have tried to configure the network inside of the virtual machine already but nothing seems to be letting it connect.

This is my first time using proxmox or any kind of machine so I'm literally blind with what I am doing just trying to go based off some guides through the internet.

Comments

• You need to create virtual mac first,

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/OVH

http://help.ovh.co.uk/Proxmox

Thanked by 1Nooblette
  • doughmanesdoughmanes Member
    edited January 2016

Did you assign a virtual MAC in the OVH control panel to the IP address you're using?

I'm using Realtec RTL8139 as my driver

Thanked by 2Nooblette bugabuga
  • Under hardware tab in Proxmox for network device, you can set the OVH virtual MAC

Thanked by 1Nooblette
  • @robohost said:
    You need to create virtual mac first,

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/OVH

http://help.ovh.co.uk/Proxmox

Will assign the mac address now. So I need to install a mac address via OVH GUI for all of the IP I am going to be assigning right?

@doughmanes said:
    Did you assign a virtual MAC in the OVH control panel to the IP address you're using?

I'm using Realtec RTL8139 as my driver

Going to assign them right now.

@robohost I have assigned a mac address to one of the IPs for testing purposes now I am creating a VM. Assuming this is where I put the mac address but no option to enter the ip address here so would I still be needing to configure the network inside the virtual machine?

The image on the guide seems to be a bit different

• @doughmanes said:
    Under hardware tab in Proxmox for network device, you can set the OVH virtual MAC

Would I need to assign a static IPv4 address also for the virtual machine?

• You're using 4.x and I'm on 3.x so that screen is different for me.

• I'd try it without setting it in Proxmox then assign the IP within the VM

• @doughmanes said:
    You're using 4.x and I'm on 3.x so that screen is different for me.

@doughmanes said:
    I'd try it without setting it in Proxmox then assign the IP within the VM

I assigned the virtual mac

Will try to configure the network in the virtual machine now.

• What Windows version are you installing? I used Realtec on Windows 2008 which has got me better results. I want to say theres a reason why I don't use E1000 but can't recall why

Thanked by 1Nooblette
  • NoobletteNooblette Member
    edited January 2016

@doughmanes said:
    What Windows version are you installing? I used Realtec on Windows 2008 which has got me better results. I want to say theres a reason why I don't use E1000 but can't recall why

Windows 2008R2

• Same here, if E1000 gives you issues try Realtec.

• @doughmanes said:
    Same here, if E1000 gives you issues try Realtec.

Do you use the gateway of the main servers network? Also what do you use for the DNS with OVH?

Also yea I was thinking of using Realtec after reading up on it by google.

edited January 2016

The IP block assigned to you has a gateway. You can use Google DNS 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4

• @doughmanes said:
    The IP block assigned to you has a gateway. You can use Google DNS 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4

So do I use the main servers IP gateway or the /26 gateway? That sorta confuses me because the main servers IP is what the virtual machines are currently configured to.

• You do not use the main server's gateway unless using the default/base allocation's IPs. If you order additional IP blocks, there is a gateway on each IP block.

Thanked by 1Nooblette
  • @doughmanes said:
    You do not use the main server's gateway unless using the default/base allocation's IPs. If you order additional IP blocks, there is a gateway on each IP block.

I believe you help me solve it man. Going to restart the VM now and see if it all connect correctly.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • That's because that's the networking template for containers in the screen shot above your post.

doughmanes said: You're using 4.x and I'm on 3.x so that screen is different for me.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • @doughmanes said:
    You do not use the main server's gateway unless using the default/base allocation's IPs. If you order additional IP blocks, there is a gateway on each IP block.

With the configurations you gave me its showing that the network is connected inside the virtual machine but its actually not connecting to the internet physically.

I pmed you the current network configurations inside the virtual machine.

• This is with E1000 right?

• @doughmanes said:
    This is with E1000 right?

Yes.

edited January 2016

Switch to Realtec in Proxmox and reboot the container

Thanked by 1Nooblette
  • Isn't virtio the recommended driver even for windows?

But it's need to be "installed(NetKVM")" during installation of windows.

doughmanes said: Switch to Realtec in Proxmox and reboot the container

• It's a Ford vs Chevy type debate with VirtIO vs everything else. I've used Realtec because it's what has worked the easiest for me in Win2008 at the expense of my sanity. I might try it one day but I'm pretty much too busy these days to play with it. It just simply works for me.

Thanked by 1Nooblette
  • GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited January 2016

True. Stick with what works. I said that because proxmox wiki is recommending it everywhere.

They also say that windows 08 r2 works with e1000 as well.

Me, I don't care what my "ethernet drivers" are called. Got internet or not is the point.

doughmanes said: It's a Ford vs Chevy type debate with VirtIO vs everything else. I've used Realtec because it's what has worked the easiest for me in Win2008 at the expense of my sanity. I might try it one day but I'm pretty much too busy these days to play with it. It just simply works for me.

Thanked by 2doughmanes Nooblette
  • Switched to the other driver its showing its connected to the internet but not allowing me to psychically connect to the internet via browser.

Is this the norm do I need to do another step?

• @doughmanes helped me through pm its working now thanks a load man.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • I've been with Proxmox about as long as Debian. I wish more people would give it credit versus slam it over the silliest reasons.

• The fix was the gateway wasn't set properly on the 2nd IP block purchased.

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

@doughmanes said:
    I've been with Proxmox about as long as Debian. I wish more people would give it credit versus slam it over the silliest reasons.

Love me some Proxmox. Just about every one of my servers runs it!

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • @agoldenberg said:
    Love me some Proxmox. Just about every one of my servers runs it!

OpenvSwitch + Proxmox = life