Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenVZ networking issue, network do not work either on new OStemplates or old OStemplates
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenVZ networking issue, network do not work either on new OStemplates or old OStemplates

Hello,

please is there any person experienced managing OpenVZ host server?

I found an issue where new OS templates like Ubuntu 14.04, CentOS 7

networking do not works after VPS setup.

I tried to update vzctl (my new one is v.4.9.4) and it added these new lines into global vz.conf
NEIGHBOUR_DEVS=all
SKIP_SYSCTL_SETUP=yes
(here is the openvz readme for these variables)

and it indeed made networking for new OS templates working automatically after VPS create, BUT

old OS templates like CentOS 6 networking stopped working when new VPS is created.

When i comment out above lines in vz.conf, old templates networking start working but new stop working.

Please kindly can you advice method to make working both automatically?

I got this kernel: 2.6.32-042stab093.5 and vzctl version 4.9.4

Thank you alot

Comments

• WHTWHT Member

Just buy a managed vps and chill. You are not for server.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Update your kernel. It doesn't support Systemd which then breaks the network on the new OSs

• you other topic about relatime i told you you may be use old tools and now you prove it

please update to the latest openvz kernel to get more new feature supported as your current kernel is too old for systemd support

• postcdpostcd Member
    edited January 2016

Thanks for advices, I will try to update to latest ovz kernel then. Tried to do cat /etc/grub.conf and yum update kernel*

the result: http://pastebin.com/s4AKbbZG

but im unsure if that is what is needed to update it?

I googled but cant find any tutorial for ovz kernel update. Isnt there any method to fall-back to previous kernel if there is any issue?

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Openvz kernel is called vzkernel

• why not update whole?

• @Awmusic12635 said:
    Openvz kernel is called vzkernel

thanks alot, yum update vzkernel worked. Newly installed kernel was added into /etc/grub.conf into first position and i have default=0 so i assume it will be used at next boot. Hopefully without issues :-/

• after i did "yum update vzkernel" it appears that no matter how i comment/uncomment

NEIGHBOUR_DEVS=all

SKIP_SYSCTL_SETUP=yes

in vz.conf, newly created VPSs (old and new OSes) networking do not works. (pingable from host node, but not from the internet or from within itself).
    I did not rebooted host server yet and now im afraid to.

Tried command to undo vzkernel update: "yum history undo 33"

---> Package vzkernel.x86_64 0:2.6.32-042stab113.11 will be erased

which im unsure if is proper, as i need just redo update?

Please any advice what to check? Thank you

• ItsChrisGItsChrisG Member
    edited February 2016

YOU CANT UPDATE ONE PART OF A MUCH LARGER UPGRADE AND THEN EXPECT IT ALL TO WORK. Genius.
    You haven't thought of a simple thing called "dependencies"???

What the fuck are you doing?
    You are not skilled enough to be running your own VPS node, and since you are using SolusVM -- you are obviously trying to pretend you can be another dedicated server leaser who throws up a website and is now a "hosting provider".

Run a full system update - you badly fucking need it.

yum update -y

Thanked by 2doughmanes postcd
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited February 2016

@ItsChrisG said:
    YOU CANT UPDATE ONE PART OF A MUCH LARGER UPGRADE AND THEN EXPECT IT ALL TO WORK. Genius.
    You haven't thought of a simple thing called "dependencies"???

What the fuck are you doing?
    You are not skilled enough to be running your own VPS node, and since you are using SolusVM -- you are obviously trying to pretend you can be another dedicated server leaser who throws up a website and is now a "hosting provider".

Run a full system update - you badly fucking need it.

yum update -y

I found you to be more charming while you were still on Cocaine. That Crystal Meth renders you utterly aggressive. But there is quite some truth hiding within your spitted vomit.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited February 2016

@postcd NAT'd containers? Try on host node...

sed -i 's/options nf_conntrack ip_conntrack_disable_ve0=1/options nf_conntrack ip_conntrack_disable_ve0=0/g' /etc/modprobe.d/openvz.conf  

reboot

• postcdpostcd Member
    edited February 2016

@all PROBLEM SOLVED, thank you for helping, i discovered that the network issue was cause by the bad IP. Once i added this bad IP to the exclude list, other IPs started being used and networking works fine for new VPSs.

vzctl version 4.9.4

vzkernel is newest (vzkernel.x86_64 0:2.6.32-042stab113.11), but i not updated anything else, only it Installed this dependency: (kernel-firmware.noarch 0:2.6.32-573.12.1.el6)

yum update do not show any update from soluslabs/openvz repos. Can i anyhow discover whether im required to update any other package in order for the newly yum updated vzkernel (stab113) work properly?

in /etc/vz/vz.conf i have commented out following 2 lines (to have # before it)

NEIGHBOUR_DEVS=all

SKIP_SYSCTL_SETUP=yes

CentOS7 networking works (NEW OS)

Ubuntu 10.04 networking works (OLD OS)