Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

One time payment VPS (lifetime) in Norway: A Joke? / or $5/month
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

One time payment VPS (lifetime) in Norway: A Joke? / or $5/month

natalyanatalya Member
edited January 2016 in General

Hey!

Whilst I was searching for virtual servers in Norway, I stumbuled across an interesting company. It owned by Terrahost (or a partner as they claim). Terrahost should be a reputable company.

There are LET plans, $5 per month for a VPS in Norway on VMWare.

Do they even have VMWare licensing, such as with being a VSPP?

TheForeverCloud

You should check it out: https://theforevercloud.com/#hosting
$60 one time payment gives you a lifetime server (?)

Thanks,
Natalya

Comments

• What do you think?
    Do you think it's profitable for any company to offer a lifetime price and keep the servers on after a while?

Thanked by 1steny
  • lol this will be the next summer host

Thanked by 3risharde vovler steny
  • @Nomad said:
    What do you think?
    Do you think it's profitable for any company to offer a lifetime price and keep the servers on after a while?

Well, it's defined on their FAQ. They write that it's reasonable))

https://theforevercloud.com/faq

• Short answer no. Just move on.

natalya said: Well, it's defined on their FAQ. They write that it's reasonable))

• Of course it's not reasonable. I know that, and would not use a 'lifetime' service.

• The Forever Cloud is a partner of TerraHost. Our servers are hosted in Norway at TerraHosts facilities in Sandefjord.

means theforevercloud is a TerraHost's client, as long as they pay for TerraHost the servers should be up, if not... ewww

• natalyanatalya Member
    edited January 2016

@namhuy said:
    means theforevercloud is a TerraHost's client, as long as they pay for TerraHost the servers should be up, if not... ewww

It's hosted on Terrahost's main server, using it's nameserver and WHOIS is pointed to Terrahost.

http://bgp.he.net/ip/81.167.229.2#_dns
    points to gigahost.no also (redirects to terrahost.no directly)

Maybe a project of their's and not a client.

Admin Name: Andreas Haakonsen
    Admin Organization: 
    Admin Street: Klinestadmoen 10
    Admin City: Sandefjord
    Admin State/Province: Vestfold
    Admin Postal Code: 3241
    Admin Country: NO
    Admin Phone: +47.33808800
    Admin Phone Ext: 
    Admin Fax: 
    Admin Fax Ext: 
    Admin Email: [email protected]

The livechat is the same type as on terrahost's site))

• cloudatcost lol?

• Forever young,

I want to be forever young.

Do you really want to live forever?

Forever, and ever

• HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep
    edited January 2016

Hmmm... let's see what common sense has to say...
    Can I fill up my car's tank of gas now and drive it forever? Nope.
    Can I eat a pizza now and be fed forever? Nope.

Why do you think that buying a server is any different? Even if you'd buy the hardware and collocate, it wouldn't be a one time payment... even if you'd buy the hardware and keep it in your basement, it wouldn't be a one time payment.

• WolfWolf Member
    edited January 2016

Theforevercloud is a brand of TerraHost, which has been in business since 2006.

Our one-time clients allows us to grow our infrastructure, while the monthly paying customers keep bandwidth and server costs a float.

Upgrades are possible even for lifetime contracts.

So paying 70$ you get from Forever2 to Forever3 without any problems.

Downgrades are not possible.

Everyone has to decide by himself if it is a good thing and if its possible / whatever.

I don't see much of a problem with this as 60$ (smallest plan) is not that much and even if they decide to cancel it after a year or two, the loss is quite small.

No risk, no fun.

//Edit:

Lets have some fun. Some providers offer similar plans for 6-10$/y on here.

Now we say they own the hardware and infra already, which cuts a lot of the cost.

The 60$ would be 'okay' for at least 5 years... I don't see much of a problem tbh.

• For 60$ you can get something similar for 5 years at another provider. If it's a side-project of TerraHost, if it is just to fill some ressources, then it could be sustainable.

• HBAndrei said: Can I fill up my car's tank of gas now and drive it forever? Nope.

You can, however, determine the average amount of gas per car, and offer an unlimited gas plan based on that information. Likewise with pizza.

The main difference with unlimited VPSes is that people are more likely to keep it running, even if they're not using it. The business model there can either be driving upsells (to get users out of the perpetual plan), or managing revenue and container balancing in order to avoid anything beyond acceptable losses.

Like all promos, it comes down to balancing the cost with the return and exposure. It's not easy, but it's doable; particularly if the company stays on top of the offer and closes it to new registrations when necessary.

Thanked by 1impossiblystupid
  • deployvmdeployvm Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2016

Wolf said: Some providers offer similar plans for 6-10$/y on here.

>

This is more like Lowendspirit, which is nested virtualisation, and the cost is totally different.

It's normally not sustainable, and you can look at the example from IP Systems LTD. The demise of this company, providing very cheap prices.

Usually $6-$10 per year constitutes 128MB/256MB max RAM and OpenVZ. (overselling is very possible)

I'll be delighted to know an non-oversold provider for a price of $6-10 annually that is running on full hardware virtualisation (either KVM, VMWare or XEN), non-USA (as well OVH/Online).

• Aruba with their €1/m comes close on vmware, but I'm not sure how long they'll keep this plan.

deployvm said: I'll be delighted to know an non-oversold provider for a price of $6-10 annually that is running on full hardware virtualisation (either KVM, VMWare or XEN), non-USA (as well OVH/Online).

• bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider

lifetime server in Norway? Traffic and services are very expensive.. Damn, everything is NO is very expensive. Just think one more time before ordering.

• deployvmdeployvm Member, Host Rep

@GM2015 said:

Aruba with their €1/m comes close on vmware, but I'm not sure how long they'll keep this plan.

Aruba should be government-funded and they have significant resources. (such as on DC, own AS network etc). That would be an exception then :) Arbua also doesn't have this 'lifetime' advertising.

In comparison to TerraHost (TheForeverCloud), which is renting racks at Altibox, I think Aruba is in a better position to provide 1 euro/mon virtual servers.

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited January 2016

Alright let me throw this in:
    ZAP HOSTING (a very reputable german game server provider) offered "life time minecraft servers" with 4gb ram (one could book additional ram also) for about 90€. They have been in the buissiness for about 5+ years and wont be going down anytime soon. As to their lifetime server they stated the following:
    "The money you pay us for the lifetime server is enough to ensure your server availability. The power and ressource for the server is very affordable and is paid alone by the money you paid. We take your money and invest it (like you would when depositing at a bank). From that alone we make up for your servers monthly power cost."

• @GM2015 said:

Aruba with their €1/m comes close on vmware, but I'm not sure how long they'll keep this plan.

Can I have the link to Aruba €1/m?

• @HBAndrei said:

The better compassion would be if you pay some amount of $$ for a full tank of gas now, can you drive forever without spending extra money. The answer is yes if you ask your parents.

Same as this, if they have "enough" funding that lasts a lifetime, then sure you will get a lifetime's service with $60, but common sense tells us this will never happen anyways.

• @jemaltz said:
    You can, however, determine the average amount of gas per car, and offer an unlimited gas plan based on that information. Likewise with pizza.

On top of that, technology has a wonderful deflationary pricing structure. The VPSes I see today for $15/year used to cost $20/month not too long ago. And who knows if software bloat will even allow you to run your current site on the purchased system in a couple years? If you can calculate that a $5/month customer generally upgrades or moves on after a year, it's worth a shot trying to get $60 out of them up front in one simple transaction.

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited January 2016

@HBAndrei said:

Why do you think that buying a server is any different? Even if you'd buy the hardware and collocate, it wouldn't be a one time payment... even if you'd buy the hardware and keep it in your basement, it wouldn't be a one time payment.

Get a solar car. One time investment for the solar panels (let's say $600). The Sun will provide infinite amounts of energy (until it runs out of particles for fusion to work and the Sun implodes) ;)

EDIT: I can't seem to remember astronomy. It's fusion, not fission

• SSDBlazeSSDBlaze Member, Host Rep

Any thoughts on lifetime shared web hosting? Would anyone trust a lifetime web hosting company?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

natalya said: Well, it's defined on their FAQ. They write that it's reasonable))

The infrastructure and hardware is already built and fully owned by us. Our datacenter space, power and bandwidth are managed by monthly payments and our partners other services not based on a one-time model. We're utilizing unused resources which gives us an advantage over our competitors.

Yeaaaaah...

So of course, that is irrelevant. If they're offering lifetime, then even if all of those monthly customers go away, they'll keep providing the service...right?

Let's say I'm 18 and sign up for $60. I live to 78. 60 years * 12 months = 720 months. $60 / 720 months = less than 9 cents a month.

Also, 60 years ago computers barely existed. Are they guaranteeing that his equipment, these protocols, etc. will still work in 2076? "Damn, who are these jerks in Norway still using ipv6? My grandpa wrote that. Oh, it's Forever Cloud..."

"Hey Frank, what's this custom chip fab order...x86-64? What is this, the stone age? Oh, right, Forever Cloud still has those lifetime servers on. Sheesh, I can get a forty terahertz box with twelve zettabytes of RAM for half the cost of keeping those old 2015 boxes working..."

"Sue, can you approve this invoice for Forever Cloud? Yeah, I know, it's over $20 million. They're still using multi-amp boxes. You ever see one of these things? Three-prong power cables! $20 million a year for pigs like that. Frank was telling me about the new forty terahertz boxes which run on a AA battery and these guys are still paying $20 million for this ancient gear. Well, at least they're sticking to their promises..."

Unless of course there are free lifetime upgrades as well.

• Sounds like a joke but you never know.

• chrispchrisp Member
    edited January 2016

@vfuse, yep it feels pretty snappy. I like it so far.

@raindog308 I don't think anyone would expect them to run 70 years. I personally hope they do more than 5 years. If they reach 7-8 years I'd be pretty surprised to be honest.

• @SSDBlaze said:
    Any thoughts on lifetime shared web hosting? Would anyone trust a lifetime web hosting company?

Hosting is probably seen more as a (managed) service rather than a product. It would have to be marketed in a way that made sense. Off the top of my head, I'd say the way to go would be to "freeze" the shared hosts in 2016. So you'd offer "lifetime" shared plans on a host configured for current technology stacks, and then don't update them (beyond maybe security patches).

Next year, add "forever 2017" plans, and so on. The client that wants to run newer versions of their stuff needs to upgrade. The added bonus for the provider is they are able to attract clients who would rather switch providers than update their software. One of the reasons I stopped using shared hosting is because they kept updating their software to be the latest-and-greatest 4.x version, while I had an old 1.x app that was working just fine and could have otherwise been left untouched.

At some point, you could probably even start to increase the price on the older plans. There are plenty of people in the world who need backward-compatible setups. If I had an old app from 1996 that I needed to get running for some reason, it may well be worth a few hundred dollars to have a provider that is all set up to run it with no problem. Fast forward to 2036 and there's probably going to be a 2016 app that is worth a few thousand to get running.