Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What to do with extra specs of dedicated server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What to do with extra specs of dedicated server?

I purchased dedicated server from OVH and exhausted the 256 IP limit. I leased most of them out, used openkvm, usage is 30% CPU and 30% memory and disk usage is 10% all the time. I am stuck with the server for a month as I already paid for it (didn't expect such low usage). What else can I use the server for? Here are the specs -

CPU - 2 x E5-2650v3 20/40t 2,3 / 3,0 GHz (i.e. 40 CPUs in proxmox)
RAM - 256 GB of RAM DDR4 ECC 2133 MHz
Disk - 4 x800GB of SSD HARD

Comments

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

Give more specs to your clients.

• @Radi said:
    Give more specs to your clients.

I am already giving them. They are not even using the specs provided to the fullest

• get more clients, you could probably setup a shared ip and get some people on there. Get a little extra cash for the extra resources

• PhotonVPSPhotonVPS Member, Host Rep

Maybe get a lower spec server in the future?

How many IPs did you give each client?

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

So long as your pricing is covering the server, your good right? Have you tried contacting ovh (By phone) to request more IPs, or perhaps you could try IPv6

edited January 2016

At a cost of 1.7+ Euro per GB Ram and the look of that spec, you may have over shot the mark on performance requirement. At least your not an over stressing the hardware! could use that as a reason to up the cost :)

• @hectorhberardi

If you have another server at OVH, you can purchase extra's IP's and belongs the above server has VRack capacity move the new IP's and the server into the VRack.

There is no limit on IP's you can have assigned to a VRack, belongs you have servers to cover the amount to purchase (you can only buy IP's from a server not a VRack).

• Shared web hosting server and/or backup servers once you reclaim some IPs?

• Giveaway free ipv6-only VPS. Can I have one? :P

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • cPanel server

• Create a RAM disk and put tmp, log or even containers on there.

do OVH still provide free plesk licence? You could host websites.

• bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider

There are lot's of things what you can do. I do not recommend to lower your specs, just try to put more clients ( more larger VPS ) into this server. Also the shared hosting service with Cpanel/Plesk/DirectAdmin