Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Proxmox and Networking
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Proxmox and Networking

GM2015GM2015 Member
edited January 2016 in Help

I find Proxmox networking difficult.

I've tried enabling all kinds of vNIC-s on my windows 2008 r2 VM and while it worked for a few minutes, it doesn't maintain internet connectivity. Also I really don't know how I could enable port forwarding to the VM's 3389 port.

sudo@prox:~$ sudo cat /etc/network/interfaces
source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

allow-hotplug eth0

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
    address my.pub.lic.ip
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway my.gate.wa.y

iface eth1 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address  10.10.10.1
        netmask  255.255.255.0
        bridge_ports none
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0

post-up echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
        post-up   iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s '10.10.10.0/24' -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
        post-down iptables -t nat -D POSTROUTING -s '10.10.10.0/24' -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE

#Nat port forward to windows 2008 r2 machine
    post-up iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i vmbr0 -p tcp --dport 10000 -j DNAT --to 10.10.10.2:3389
    post-down iptables -t nat -D PREROUTING -i vmbr0 -p tcp --dport 10000 -j DNAT --to 10.10.10.2:3389

According to this https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/enable-remote-desktop-access-for-vm.23737/, the gui firewall cannot be used for port forwarding.

I've tried enabling port forwarding via sudo iptables, but none of the rules were saved according to iptables -L -n.

The template I've saved comes with "Nat", with the default dhcp ip of 10.0.2.15.

On the template, there's internet connection, however if I start adding vmbr0 vNIC-s, windows become confused and loses connectivity.

For example, just rebooted it, and while it seems to be able to dns lookups, pinging hosts and ip-s times out. I've also removed the Nat vNIC just now and the VM absolutely lost connectivity.

So there's definitely something wrong with:
vmbr0 private subnet

routing

port forwarding

my understanding

I've tried numerous documentation, enabling and disabling the firewall on dc, host and vm level, but none of them make a difference.

#

edit:

I didn't mention sometimes manually editing the ipv4 of the connection properties make a difference, sometimes it doesn't.

I've just used 10.10.10.2 with netmask 255.255.255.0 and the host's ip as gateway and it apparently got internet. I also use opendns for now and host look ups work.

Also it seems to be able to ping some hostnames.

Hm, also seems that rdp and port forwarding works on the host's port 10000.

=====

After restarting

/etc/init.d/networking

, rdp and port forwarding again went down the drain.

So it looks like there's some conflict with networking's pre up post down iptables script and proxmox. Proxmox cluster firewall was turned off while rdp worked and it's still off. iptables -L -n show nothing.

Comments

• are both NetworkManager and Network present? maybe you need to setup tcpip4? yet to try promox..............

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited January 2016

sudo@prox:/etc/network/if-up.d$ sudo service network-manager stop

Failed to stop network-manager.service: Unit network-manager.service not loaded.

It's a dedicated server at online.net.

century1stop said: are both NetworkManager and Network present? maybe you need to setup tcpip4? yet to try promox..............

• ratherbak3dratherbak3d Member
    edited January 2016

I notice you're not providing a VMAC Address, if OVH is the same as Online (And I assume it is) you should be providing that. DHCP shouldn't be used in this instance either, you must use a static configuration.

Just my two cents from a quick scan of the OP.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • what of tcpip4? think it's needed? nvr use online :)

• Do you mean they drop devices off the network with unknown mac addresses?

ratherbak3d said: I notice you're not providing a VMAC Address, if OVH is the same as Online (And I assume it is) you should be providing that.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

GM2015 said: The template I've saved comes with "Nat", with the default dhcp ip of 10.0.2.15.

AFAIK, that NAT IP is from Virtualbox.

And this is wrong:

post-up iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i vmbr0 -p tcp --dport 10000 -j DNAT --to 10.10.10.2:3389

You're pointing -i to vmbr0, and should be eth0

• GM2015 said: Do you mean they drop devices off the network with unknown mac addresses?

Yes.

• yup OVH requires a pre-configured MAC address or it won't work

• Negative, my servers(one kidechire and this e3 server) are online without providing mac addresses in config files manually.

I don't see any mac entries in the same file on my ovh vps or my kimsufi.

ratherbak3d said: I notice you're not providing a VMAC Address, if OVH is the same as Online (And I assume it is) you should be providing that. DHCP shouldn't be used in this instance either, you must use a static configuration.

Thanked by 1netomx