Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Multiple servers on 1 ip but accessible with different domains
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Multiple servers on 1 ip but accessible with different domains

taronyutaronyu Member
edited January 2013 in General

I'm in need of several small servers for testing in Europe but the prices in the EU are higher than the vps itself. I was thinking about setting up several vps'es trough 1 ip but accessible with different domains or a records (would be cheaper).

Am I out of my mind right now or is it possible?

(I'm sorry for grammar mistakes but English isn't my native language)

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Why not making a big one and put all domains there ?
    Otherwise, I do not understand what you wish to do. Unless you get a dedicated server and only one IP, it is not possible to use more VPSes with one IP unless you use IPv6 to connect to the one with the IPv4 and use it only as frontend/cache. I see no reason why that would be better than getting one big VPS.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

@Maounique

@taronyu could make use of internal IPs. He could SSH into his main vps, with the main IP. Then ssh from that into the other VPSs using their internal IP.

That is one way to do it ...

• He's basically describing an usual home network, where all computers are behind a router and can access each other using internal IPs, and the router can port-forward. But you can only run one web server on one IP on port 80.

edited January 2013

A RFC 1918 IP will not work if it is across providers unless tunneling and that is a real PITA. Or use IPv6 if the providers have it (they should).

@Bogdacutuu said: He's basically describing an usual home network, where all computers are behind a router and can access each other using internal IPs, and the router can port-forward. But you can only run one web server on one IP on port 80.

It is possible, of course, but why not keep all servers on a big computer ? If the computer power is a problem, most likely the bw will not be enough.
    I did something like this with proxypass and apache where forwarded various domains in the internal network.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited January 2013

With a nginx or lighttpd reverse proxy you can redirect queries to one IP but different domains to different physical hosts/VPSes.

@taronyu said: setting up several vps'es trough 1 ip

But why the question in the first place, won't those "several VPSes" have their own IPs anyway?
    This could make sense if all of those were v6-only and you still needed to provide access to v4 visitors, but I am not seeing a huge market of v6-only VPS offers from proven providers in Europe at the moment.

• @Maounique said: Why not making a big one and put all domains there ?

Otherwise, I do not understand what you wish to do. Unless you get a dedicated server and only one IP, it is not possible to use more VPSes with one IP unless you use IPv6 to connect to the one with the IPv4 and use it only as frontend/cache. I see no reason why that would be better than getting one big VPS.

Because I like to have everything on 1 central point (So not 5 different providers) but at the same time keep everything seperated into different boxes. Those boxes only need to be around 128mb.

@rsk said: @taronyu could make use of internal IPs. He could SSH into his main vps, with the main IP. Then ssh from that into the other VPSs using their internal IP.

That is one way to do it ...

That might be an option, tough still not accessible for the outside.

@Bogdacutuu said: He's basically describing an usual home network, where all computers are behind a router and can access each other using internal IPs, and the router can port-forward. But you can only run one web server on one IP on port 80.

You can compare it to a home connection yes.

@Maounique said: It is possible, of course, but why not keep all servers on a big computer ? If the computer power is a problem, most likely the bw will not be enough.

I did something like this with proxypass and apache where forwarded various domains in the internal network.

Because ip's are expensive (As I said I only need around 5 128mb boxes) and I'm still a student. Ovh would be a nice option but they need a $20 pro usage now also if you only need 1 ip.

@rm_ said: But why the question in the first place, won't those "several VPSes" have their own IPs anyway?

This could make sense if all of those were v6-only and you still needed to provide access to v4 visitors, but I am not seeing a huge market of v6-only VPS offers from proven providers in Europe at the moment.

I'm not planning to sell it. Problem is that ip's are expensive and my home provider doesn't support ipv6 (only 1 provider over here supports it). Unless there is an option to tunnel everything trough a vps, problem is that it still won't be accessible for other around me.

edited January 2013

@taronyu said: I'm not planning to sell it. Problem is that ip's are expensive and my home provider doesn't support ipv6 (only 1 provider over here supports it). Unless there is an option to tunnel everything trough a vps, problem is that it still won't be accessible for other around me.

This is simple, you can connect to your IPv4 VPS and connect with IPv6 to others from that ipv4 box, essentially using IPv6 instead of non-routable IPv4s..

@taronyu said: I'm not planning to sell it.

I was saying you aren't going to find anywhere to BUY any v6-only VPSes from good providers (unless they will cut a deal specifically for you).

All in all, I still don't understand what is your exact scheme of things.

And I feel you are missing something really simple... maybe the ability to host multiple domains on one IP just by using Hostname-based virtual hosts?

• @Maounique said: This is simple, you can connect to your IPv4 VPS and connect with IPv6 to others from that ipv4 box, essentially using IPv6 instead of non-routable IPv4s..

But it still won't be accessible by random other people ;)

@rm_ said: I was saying you aren't going to find anywhere to BUY any v6-only VPSes from good providers (unless they will cut a deal specifically for you).

All in all, I still don't understand what is your exact scheme of things.

And I feel you are missing something really simple... maybe the ability to host multiple domains on one IP just by using Hostname-based virtual hosts?

It isn't meant only for websites. I'm in progress of trying to learn everything but also got a few vps'es for private use that I don't want to screw up. And it always become messy when I start doing several things on 1 vps.

I think it is just impossible :p

edited January 2013

So okay, today on WHT there's an offer from Torqhost of 12 EUR/yr VPS
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1229270
    it has one IPv4. Why not just use a number of these to do what you need? Or do you expect them to sell those to you for 5-6 EUR/yr, if they'd remove the IPv4 address (the provider has no IPv6 at the moment, but theoretically)? Not going to happen for a number of reasons.

edited January 2013

@taronyu said: But it still won't be accessible by random other people ;)

Yes, they will be through the VPS with IPv4 provided the link over IPv6 wont fail to the others.

@rm_ said: So okay, today on WHT there's an offer from Torqhost for 12 EUR/yr VPS

Well, some still have lots of IPs...

• @rm_ said: So okay, today on WHT there's an offer from Torqhost for 12 EUR/yr VPS

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1229270
    it has one IPv4. Where do you see IPv4 are expensive? Do you expect them to sell it for 5-6 EUR if they strip the IPv4 address? Not going to happen for a number of reasons.

Finding a (kvm) vps with more than 1 ip or a dedi with some cheap ip's located within the EU and a nice i/o/network speed is going to be hard.

@taronyu said: Finding a (kvm) vps with more than 1 ip or a dedi with some cheap ip's located within the EU and a nice i/o/network speed is going to be hard.

This is where i am wondering, why do you need one IP for each site ? SSL ? It wont work even if you put other servers behind.

• @Maounique said: This is where i am wondering, why do you need one IP for each site ? SSL ? It wont work even if you put other servers behind.

Everything on every server will be random. So not only sites. (because I can use vhost for it)

Then I suggest you get a dual stack VPS and tunnel over IPv6 through it.
    As rm_ pointed out, there arent many providers offering those IPv6 only VPSes yet. If you wish to simulate such an environment, get a kimsufi and put a Xen-PV on it then use the IPv4 on a VM dedicated as router.

• You can pull this off easily with a haproxy front end and nginx on the back ends. Alternatively you could use ipv6 ip's behind Cloudflare and they will take care of all ipv4 or ipv6 tunneling.

• taronyutaronyu Member
    edited February 2013

I agree, my question might be asked in the wrong way but in the end this is what I was looking for:

http://wiki.openvz.org/Using_NAT_for_container_with_private_IPs

Thanks to @ElliotJ for posting it here: http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/5897/try-to-setup-vps-with-ipv6-only-but-having-a-problem-route-to-ipv4

I'm sorry for bumping an over a month old thread but maybe someone might find it usefull.