Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Community Bug Removing Help !
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Community Bug Removing Help !

SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep
edited November 2011 in General

Hello,
I needed the help of the community in removing the bugs present in ServPHP (PHP Server Stats)

ServPHP can be downloaded from : http://servphp.org

and the bugs can be reported here :
http://servphp.org/bugtracker/

Thanks for helping !

Comments

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

Anyone ? :P

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited November 2011

In three hours? Dude, I'm walking between bloodworks, volunteerism and a check of my emergency storage locker.

:)

@drmike : Thanks :D

Got 2 bugs reported in, Any more ?

• AdamAdam Member
    edited November 2011

Not a bug, but you should work on the layout ;)

Also, with the code you should clean it up a little. You switch between php and html between each function. Where as you could/should just echo the small bit of html in between.

Some more stuff just for you:

1. Make the code tidier, so if another coder wants to come along and help out (comme moi), they don't have to spend time formatting the code.
    2. Ability to turn off speed test via radio box or checkbox.
    3. Drop down box with speed test file size. (In case someone wants to test a 1gb d/l).
    4. I/O test with choice of file size.
    5. Think about displaying info via a table. Or a format that's more appealing.
    6. Unnecessary, but a refresh button (sometimes pressing F5 is too hard haha).
    7. Option between CURL or WGET. (Using curl can be one less shell command, and you can get some good info from it).
    8. This is another unnecessary step, but adding '{' and '}' for conditionals makes code easier to follow (and is seen as good practice with open code).
    9. A log file... For simplicity, just use a file storage (Json would probably be easiest). This way you can store settings, and say the past week of data, which could allow you to plot sample data (so users can see "hey my speed is up 20mbit from yesterday at this time").

That's all I can think of for the moment, but hope that helps you along.

@Adam : Thanks for that :D

Could you report them in here as a feature to add ? : http://servphp.org/bugtracker/my_view_page.php

Select category as : Add Feature

On point number 6 - It auto refreshes every 30 seconds :)

• Added number 9 just now ;)

As to number 6. Not everyone want's a refresh every 30sec. So disabling the auto refresh is also a good option.

edited November 2011

@Adam : Thanks, sounds good.. I'll try to implement them :)

I'll add the refresh button :)

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@SpeedBus maybe we need to send all the functions into a functions.php file, and then call them from the main php file

@netomx : Sounds good, that way we can disable / enable certain output's just like enabling and disabling plugins.

That's right!

@netomx : Yup :)

• Thanks for a great script speedbus, I am currently making some improvements of my own to the script. I will share them when I am finished :)

Sure, if you want I can add you to the google code project, and you can commit changes there ?

• I'll create a clone first to see what I can come up with, then maybe when I've got something good I'll request to be added again :)

edited December 2011

@titanicsaled : sure :D sounds goood :) also, if you find any bugs in the script, report them here :
    http://servphp.org/bugtracker/

Thanks !!

• I have made some changes to the script so far.

Changes so far -

I have applied a template to make the script look a bit nicer. I have made a separate functions file. I have sorted the script output into a table. I have added a refresh button. I have generally cleaned some of the code.

I have removed the page loading javascript temporarily because it was interfering with the template. I will add it as soon as possible.

Test script ( with my changes ) -

http://nitragaming.it.cx/servphp

(please refrain from loading it too much because its a shared vps)

Planned changes -

Finish adding the php to the functions file. Finish the template integration. Optimize the script for maximum speed. Add some new features (maybe a backend??)

All suggestions and criticism welcome. Sorry for any typos or lack of formatting in this post because I'm currently on my phone.

edited December 2011

@titanicsaled : :O :O That's amazing !!! The script changes are amazing !!

• Thanks. As you can probably tell, I like the colour blue :) but it can be any colour if needed.

I will make further changes, and then either provide you with a .zip file or commit to the repo if you want. The css is really messy at the moment, so I'll clean it up first.

Any suggestions you'd like me to take into consideration?

• NickkNickk Member
    edited December 2011

Looking much better!

Though just two things, which I know have been brought up before, but I will repeat.

1. The your ping to the server wouldn't work for most end users, as most home modems block ping requests. Also, since the server is pinging the user, it isn't really 'your' ping to the server, but the the server's ping to you. These two results could differ due to different routes the ping packet could take, depending who is pinging who, though this is a bit of a finicky point.

2. It takes 13 seconds to load the page when refreshed. I'm assuming this is due to the bandwidth test running. But it just seems a bit painful how slow it is. It would be cool to maybe only do the bandwidth test if you click a button to tell it, if you don't click it, it shows the speed which was determined when it was last run.

Hope I helped a bit.

• Thanks for the suggestions, the ping is definitely something that needs to be looked at.

The slow loading is also something which I'm working on. Although my vps is quite slow, so don't entirely base the scripts speed from my vps.

@titanicsaled : email me your gmail ID and i'll add you to the project where you can commit the changes :)

• titanicsaledtitanicsaled Member
    edited December 2011

I have made more changes to the script -

The template is now fully cleaned and operational
    All of the tests are now loaded from a functions.php file
    You can now select which tests you want ServPHP to run

Things i'm yet to do -

The refresh button no longer works (need to implement php sessions)
    Fix the ping test
    Start working on a script backend
    Whatever you guys can suggest :P

Test url -

http://nitragaming.it.cx/servphp

Test on shared hosting (script executes much quicker) -

http://titanicsaled.co.uk/servphp

Thanks

(btw @Speedbus, your servphp testing server is down)

• @titanicsaled said: Test on shared hosting (script executes much quicker) -

Not really

Page generated in 14 seconds

Of course deselected the download test.

• The shared hosting is a bit patchy, sometimes it's really quick and sometimes it's really slow. I am going to complain about it.

If anyone has a more consistently quick server then ill provide the zip file so you can try it out on your own server

Quote: Nice, we just got objetive Bravo!

Or, in my terms, nice changes!

@yomero : Page generated in 2 seconds :P

@titanicsaled : I'll add you to the google code team, thanks :)

• Thanks, I'll commit all the changes later.

Sounds Good, Thanks !!

• I have committed the changes to the repository and have also added a .zip for download.

If you fancy trying out the new version of the script then visit the google code page

It would be great if people could try it out on their own servers to give me a bit of a load speed comparison(cause my server isn't the quickest!) :)