Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IWstack vs LunaNode
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IWstack vs LunaNode

Hi,

So far I have been able to see that those 2 are the best one in terms of price and power. Which one do you say is better? Also how do you think it all fares with any other if you would like to recommend.

Thank You

Comments

• I've personally had troubles with Prometeus support. While I've never used LunaNode, from recommendations around here and vouches from people I trust, my vote goes to lunanode

• Having used both I pefer LunaNode for its ease of use because of there custom control panel. I 3 nodes with LunaNode and could not be happier. Great connectivity via OVH France and good selection of machine sizes.

So far (2 months) there has been no downtime and am moving more sites over to then slowly.

• sinsin Member

Haven't used IWstack but I'm in love with Lunanode - their control panel is fast and works well, loads of features that they constantly add (custom iso, high availability volumes, dedicated cores on their flexible line, live snapshots, free dns hosting, free email hosting, free uptime monitoring, etc). I wish I had tried them out sooner.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited January 2016
    • Prometeus has been in the market for a longer time
    • Prometeus has a complex/expensive setup in place
    • Luna Node has a nice control panel and some functionality no one else has
    • Prometeus is using good network and a (very) nice datacenter in Italy, Luna Node is renting from cheaper ISPs.
    • Luna Node doesn't require you to pay 30€ just to try their platform

Those are some of the points I can think of.

• Both of them are stable and I have not faced any major issues .. Iwstack also have easy option to launch instance from their billing control panel.

• @Nyr : which functionality - are you pointing towards?

darknessends said: which functionality - are you pointing towards?

I don't use them so that's just what I've read here from time to time.

One example I can remember is that they let you upload a public PGP key so all their communications with you are encrypted.

To get a general overview, check one of their offer threads:
    http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/72705/luna-node-kvm-cloud-with-snapshots-load-balancers-private-networks-volumes-an-api-and-more

Anyway getting an account with them is very cheap so I guess you could just sign up and see for yourself :)

Okay, so looks like I'm a customer and I didn't even know: the panel is pretty nice, somewhere between a traditional VPS provider and a "complete" cloud provider.

They got things like floating IPs, security groups, virtual networks, load balancers... looks good considering the pricing :)

• sinsin Member

The only thing I wish Lunanode had was a quality U.S. location :)

• Cloudvps also has hourly pricing based on openstack http://www.cloudvps.com/openstack - and their in the netherlands.

Via the NL site: http://www.cloudvps.nl/openstack - use the 'Vraag Test Aan' to get a 7 day free trial.

Disclaimer, I use them myself, but no affiliate link.

Cheapest openstack machine is EUR 7,50/m, so just a few cents to high for LEB... But it gets you a gig of ram, instead of 512 MB

• GeekoineGeekoine Member
    edited January 2016

@ollietrex said:
    Great connectivity via OVH France and good selection of machine sizes.

How is the disk performance?

• sinsin Member

Geekoine said: How is the disk performance?

Lunanode SSD:

root@aether:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync; rm test
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 1.81612 s, 591 MB/s

root@aether:~# ioping . -c 10
    4 KiB from . (ext4 /dev/dm-0): request=1 time=165 us
    4 KiB from . (ext4 /dev/dm-0): request=2 time=248 us
    4 KiB from . (ext4 /dev/dm-0): request=3 time=149 us
    4 KiB from . (ext4 /dev/dm-0): request=4 time=149 us
    4 KiB from . (ext4 /dev/dm-0): request=5 time=156 us
    4 KiB from . (ext4 /dev/dm-0): request=6 time=142 us
    4 KiB from . (ext4 /dev/dm-0): request=7 time=159 us
    4 KiB from . (ext4 /dev/dm-0): request=8 time=146 us
    4 KiB from . (ext4 /dev/dm-0): request=9 time=215 us
    4 KiB from . (ext4 /dev/dm-0): request=10 time=154 us

--- . (ext4 /dev/dm-0) ioping statistics ---
    10 requests completed in 9.00 s, 5.94 k iops, 23.2 MiB/s
    min/avg/max/mdev = 142 us / 168 us / 248 us / 33 us

Thanked by 1Geekoine
  • @sin,
    Unixbench ?

• sinsin Member

darknessends said: @sin, Unixbench ?

Would a Geekbench work? I had taken this Geekbench yesterday: http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/5044530

• there -> over there (as in: a position)
    their -> possessive (as in: it belongs to someone)
    they're -> they are (+' - a)

I know this is off-topic, but I just had to say it.

Thanked by 3Junkless switsys netomx
  • @mpkossen said:
    there -> over there (as in: a position)
    their -> possessive (as in: it belongs to someone)
    they're -> they are (+' - a)

I know this is off-topic, but I just had to say it.

Thanked by 2mpkossen netomx
  • GeekoineGeekoine Member
    edited January 2016

@sin said:

really good! (OVH RBX?)

• sinsin Member

Geekoine said: really good! (OVH RBX?)

It's their Toronto location

Thanked by 1Geekoine
  • @Nyr said:

• Prometeus has been in the market for a longer time
    • Prometeus has a complex/expensive setup in place
    • Luna Node has a nice control panel and some functionality no one else has
    • Prometeus is using good network and a (very) nice datacenter in Italy, Luna Node is renting from cheaper ISPs.
    • Luna Node doesn't require you to pay 30€ just to try their platform

Those are some of the points I can think of.

As it is iwstack vs lunanode, iwstack gives you free anycast dns with rage4 (so, you can set up a dns failover).

Thanked by 1gbshouse
  • Which provider has better DevOps support, for example, allow all the provision(vm, images, security group, virtual network) done by automation?

• @bookstack said:
    Which provider has better DevOps support, for example, allow all the provision(vm, images, security group, virtual network) done by automation?

Both do.

• The only advantage of iwstack is that you can schedule backups, in LunaNode you need to write a script using there api your self. Apart from that I kinda like LunaNode, its not based on DD results or CPU but just a platform I can put my web sites on and they will stay up.