Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best way to back up a hyper-v VM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best way to back up a hyper-v VM

We have a hyper-v host in our office which runs our AD and a few other critical VM's. We are not in a position so pay for Veeam or such silly priced products.

Been doing some research but does any one have a good suggestion for a good backup solution for backups of VM's on Hyper-v? I have admin access to the Hyper-v host so I can snapshot at that level rather than file level replication.

These don't chance much so a nightly.snapshot solution is fine.

Comments

• Why not KVM or OpenVZ?

Those are supported in many ways better thaj Hyper-V; where OpenVZ you would use vzdump and KVM qemu-img.

For Hyper-V, I can't throw an answer off the bat. Perhaps you should try a scheduled task?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=hyper-v+backup+vm+script

• AshleyUkAshleyUk Member
    edited January 2016

@ollietrex said:

Are the VM's not on a shared storage platform, or locally held on the hypervisor?

Where do you want to place the backup's as could change the method use, and do not use Hyper-V level snapshot's as a backup method!

Thanked by 1FlamesRunner
  • Yeah, snapshots are only for convinience; if your hard drives fail, there goes your snapshots.

• I'm a ShadowProtect / SPX fanboy. We use it where I work, and it works great.

• You can try Veeam Hyper-V backup tool.
    Find the free version here https://hyperv.veeam.com/free-hyper-v-backup/

• @ollietrex said:
    We have a hyper-v host in our office which runs our AD and a few other critical VM's. We are not in a position so pay for Veeam or such silly priced products.

These are critical servers... use products that work. Veeam is an excellent product. ShadowProtect s good. Unitrends Virtual Backup is good.