Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap (But Fast!) Gaming VPS Options?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap (But Fast!) Gaming VPS Options?

RyzaJrRyzaJr Member
edited January 2016 in General

Hey all,

Anyone have any recommendations for VPS providers that have fast port speeds for gaming servers?

I host a Star Wars Battlelfront II server on GameRanger and am looking for a different host. I currently use togglebox.com but despite what I pay there, for their extra port speed, people always complain about lag on my server.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

We can do this for you. We have five locations around the US so you can probably find one that fits for you, and our plans come with a shared 1Gbps port.

Keep in mind the lag might not just be because of the network - the server itself could be running out of resources or may not have enough resources to run smoothly. What specifications do you require?

• Go with @dediserve, I just set up 2 CSGO servers for a friend of mine and so far everything has been smooth. Go for their Dallas 2 launch promo before it expires, you won't regret this at only $55 a year for 1GB of ram and a full dedicated CPU core.

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • Are you shure that lags stem from a lack of connection speed?

How much RAM and disk space do you need? And what about server location?

• RyzaJrRyzaJr Member
    edited January 2016

Thanks for the replies.

System requirements are not much. I'm sure 1 GB of RAM, and maybe 2 CPU cores would suffice. Oh, Windows OS of course. My current host provides 2 gigs of ram and 2 cpu cores which is plenty, but yet I guess the service just wasn't stable enough? I'm not really sure.

I currently have 500Mbps port speed, so 1Gbps sounds pretty good.

dediserve sounds pretty good too @TheOnlyDK. Gotta check out this promo somehow then.

Oh, also I'm not really sure what causes the lag. Even when I remote desktop into the server, despite the system resources not showing as being maxed, the server will lag for the players. Preferably the server should be located in the U.S. Central, I suppose.

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • NickMNXioNickMNXio Member, Host Rep

https://mnx.io/pricing -- we're cost effective and have great network, disk and cpu performance.

• @NickMNXio said:
    https://mnx.io/pricing -- we're cost effective and have great network, disk and cpu performance.

I'll need a Windows OS (preferably Server 2008) to host my gaming server.

Thanked by 1NickMNXio
  • TheOnlyDKTheOnlyDK Member
    edited January 2016

@RyzaJr said:
    Thanks for the replies.

Well, dediserve doesn't provide Windows for the 1GB promo, but not sure if you can bring your own license for it and install your own ISO instead. That plan comes with 1 CPU core only, but you can max it out 24/7 and they won't tell you to f*off. The network port is only 100Mbps, but as far as I know you can max it out 24/7 too, and the total monthly transfer rate is the only limit. My 1GB box was able to max out 100Mbps whenever I did the test, and my standard resource server can max out 250Mbps (standard in the resource pool plans, but more expensive and starts at 2GB minimum) whenever I did the test. Just something you should consider before you buy.

And James (@dediserve) is really nice. Chat with him and who knows you might get a surprise :)

Edit: 1Gbps port doesn't mean (and almost always doesn't mean) dedicated 1Gbps port, it's just burst into, if and only if there are no others using the port at the given time.

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • Vultr is good for games, at least source games (CSS, gmod) and they have a custom ISO feature so you can install windows yourself (either with your own key or 180 day trial)

• RyzaJrRyzaJr Member
    edited January 2016

@VirMach
    I really like the plans offered by vircmach.com. Unfortunately there's system maintenance going on the website. Anyway, what's the difference between the WINGAME-2G plan and the SSD2G plan? Just DDOS protection?

And, unfortunately, I don't have my own Windows server license to spare.

• NFOservers.com

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

RyzaJr said: @VirMach I really like the plans offered by vircmach.com. Unfortunately there's system maintenance going on the website. Anyway, what's the difference between the WINGAME-2G plan and the SSD2G plan? Just DDOS protection?

And, unfortunately, I don't have my own Windows server license to spare.

WINGAME-2G and SSD2G plan are the exact same specifications. However, the WINGAME-2G has the "high CPU" option since you'll most likely be using all your resources all the time. It's actually cheaper than getting the SSD2G plan + the high CPU option on that, if I remember correctly.

You do not need your own Windows license. We license it for you. You can also select Linux as an OS.

Sorry about the maintenance - we're moving our website to a larger dedicated server.

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited January 2016

I've just installed a 64bit win7 for a friend on his laptop and on fresh install the OS used 800MB Ram despite me killing useless services, so good luck with 1gb ram.

RyzaJr said: I'm sure 1 GB of RAM, and maybe 2 CPU cores would suffice. Oh, Windows OS of course.

• @GM2015 said:
    I've just installed a 64bit win7 for a friend on his laptop and on fresh install the OS used 800MB Ram despite me killing useless services, so good luck with 1gb ram.

Windows server uses less, I've got windows server installed in 1GB ram VPS and it still got 450MB free ram.

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited January 2016

No idea why an idle 7 64bit used that much as honestly, it was from an msdn iso I just happened to find on the internet.

IIRC I remember the same with 64bit servers. Must be something useless on 7 64bits that causes the ram issue. I even switch the to classic theme to turn aero off and used the max performance settings instead of letting windows ruin it for me in advanced settings.

The 32bit version of windows 7 is absolutely fine as a thin client in virtualbox with ~200-300mb ram usage iirc. This was also installed from an msdn iso that was just laying around.

TheOnlyDK said: Windows server uses less, I've got windows server installed in 1GB ram VPS and it still got 450MB free ram.