Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazon Route53 review TLDR AWESOME
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Amazon Route53 review TLDR AWESOME

So I am just 1 week into this DNS service which is not long, but wow. WOW. Okay so I didnt have a great background with lots of other DNS providers, I ususally just used whatever godaddy or google domains gave me. I had NO IDEA how much speed I was loosing out on. Now onto some techs:

Route 53 works outside of EC2 nodes. So you DO NOT need to run servers with AWS to use Route53. I dont.

Geo IP routing. I can specify an A record for every location that I am servicing. The offer nice granularity in the US. I can do state by state and I have. The rest of the globe I can set records for on a continent basis and have then hit my NETH server.

Yes that is 50 A records, however based on the query location it really just appears like 1.

Health checks. I can monitor for every single one of these geoIP route locations. Ususally I set them up and check each for about 1 hour then check the next region. I leave some in major areas running at all times.

Latency routing with aliases. Geo got ya down? How about serving the faster of the 2? The allow for AWS region latency routes also in the 3 US regions they serve. Im sure that there is more cool, but thats all I know of for now.

Do you use managed DNS?
  1. DynDNS15 votes
    1. Google Cloud DNS
        0.00%
    2. Route53
      40.00%
    3. Whatever my domain came with
      60.00%

Comments

• Have you looked into dnsmadeeasy? That's who I use for production nowadays. Cheap and amazing.

My secondary recommendation is rage4. I believe a representative hangs around here as well. They're a little too pricy for my taste, but I've experienced very fast and solid service on the free plan. @gbshouse ?

Thanked by 1gbshouse
  • gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

Most of latency based GeoDNS providers is limited to their own DCs, in our case you have two GeoDNS modes plus easy integration with third party monitoring providers. We've whole bunch of customers which moved from Route53 to Rage4 due to better GeoDNS

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Jonchun said:
    Have you looked into dnsmadeeasy? That's who I use for production nowadays. Cheap and amazing.

My secondary recommendation is rage4. I believe a representative hangs around here as well. They're a little too pricy for my taste, but I've experienced very fast and solid service on the free plan. gbshouse ?

Rage4 is amaaazing! Been using them for years.

Thanked by 1gbshouse
  • rage4 and nothing else, switched a long time ago from DNSmadeEasy.

• @gbshouse said:
    Most of latency based GeoDNS providers is limited to their own DCs, in our case you have two GeoDNS modes plus easy integration with third party monitoring providers. We've whole bunch of customers which moved from Route53 to Rage4 due to better GeoDNS

better geodns you say.... ref me Link anyone?

• what happens after 50M requests?

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited January 2016

for latency based dns i moved from DNSMadeEasy to Route53 - working very with my site which spans 16+ VPS server cluster from several countries :)

also make use of failover primary and secondary DNS on Route53 :)

Route53 offers Geo DNS or Latency based DNS

Q. What is Amazon Route 53’s Latency Based Routing (LBR) feature?

LBR (Latency Based Routing) is a new feature for Amazon Route 53 that helps you improve your application’s performance for a global audience. You can run applications in multiple AWS regions and Amazon Route 53, using dozens of edge locations worldwide, will route end users to the AWS region that provides the lowest latency.

And GeoDNS

Q. What is Amazon Route 53’s Geo DNS feature?

Route 53 Geo DNS lets you balance load by directing requests to specific endpoints based on the geographic location from which the request originates. Geo DNS makes it possible to customize localized content, such as presenting detail pages in the right language or restricting distribution of content to only the markets you have licensed. Geo DNS also lets you balance load across endpoints in a predictable, easy-to-manage way, ensuring that each end-user location is consistently routed to the same endpoint. Geo DNS provides three levels of geographic granularity: continent, country, and state, and Geo DNS also provides a global record which is served in cases where an end user’s location doesn’t match any of the specific Geo DNS records you have created. You can also combine Geo DNS with other routing types, such as Latency Based Routing and DNS Failover, to enable a variety of low-latency and fault-tolerant architectures. For information on how to configure various routing types, please see the Amazon Route 53 documentation.

• sinsin Member

I have tried different services like Route 53, Rage4, ClouDNS, etc...and I always go back to Cloudflare's free DNS.

Thanked by 1NanoG6
  • any good recommended tools to monitor dns servers?
    uptime, latency around the globe...

• DNSimple is good for me

Thanked by 1AdventureTime
  • @sin said:
    I have tried different services like Route 53, Rage4, ClouDNS, etc...and I always go back to Cloudflare's free DNS.

You can't set up failover with cloudflare.

• @Geekoine said:

Not directly, but with their API it's easy. There's even a script to do so around.

Thanked by 1Geekoine
  • @Traffic said:
    Not directly, but with their API it's easy. There's even a script to do so around.

Thank you! I didn't know, I'm going to look

Thanked by 1Traffic