Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Peering map of US
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Peering map of US

So does a peering map of the US exist? That would be awesome.

Comments

• peeringdb

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

Just to be sure, Peering or Transit?

• Im thinking peer at the moment, but transit would be cool also. Im concerned with Galera replication latency around my nodes. Whichever map would help with that.

• @RyanD said:
    peeringdb

Yea but that is just huge tables of info. Im looking for that, graphically.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

"The US" isn't a network. Are you asking about a map of the biggest interconnection points or something like that?

• @Nyr said:
    "The US" isn't a network. Are you asking about a map of the biggest interconnection points or something like that?

Yes and thanks for correcting me. I was under the assumption the US was a network...

edited January 2016

jollymon said: thanks for correcting me. I was under the assumption the US was a network...

It wasn't meant to sound bad. It's that the US as a territory doesn't just have a "peering map" which can be made, since there are a lot of networks operating there.

You should also remember that peering in the US isn't as popular as in Europe and most of the traffic is transit.

There are plenty of maps detailing mayor interconnection hubs if you search Google images a bit :)

• No actually I thought the US was a network and that we all connected at some terminals someplace. I am actually probably in need of some more basic research at this point. I thought that each country would have a network. Im less sysadminr and more programr

edited January 2016

jollymon said: No actually I thought the US was a network and that we all connected at some terminals someplace. I am actually probably in need of some more basic research at this point. I thought that each country would have a network.

Understood :)

Countries don't usually have a single "national network". It's usually a lot of interconnected networks and they aren't limited to the country, they can be international.

See for example this traceroute from my ISP to Twitter:

traceroute to twitter.com (199.16.156.198), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets
     1  10.8.0.1 (10.8.0.1)  101.744 ms
     2  94.242.57.1 (94.242.57.1)  102.151 ms
     3  bg.rnet.ru (94.242.0.1)  102.887 ms
     4  109.239.133.49 (109.239.133.49)  100.256 ms
     5  94.124.182.158 (94.124.182.158)  120.422 ms
     6  netnod-ix-ge-b-sth-1500.twitter.com (194.68.128.229)  116.165 ms
     7  ae65.atl1-er2.twttr.com (192.133.76.19)  301.101 ms
     8  199.16.156.198 (199.16.156.198)  282.078 ms

1- Internal network
    2, 3 - My ISP
    4, 5 - GlobalNET: this is an ISP which my ISP buys transit from. Transit = they pay GlobalNET which operates a bigger network so they can get connectivity to other places where my ISP doesn't have presence.
    6 - Gothenburg Internet Exchange. Here GlobalNET peers with Twitter (which operates its own network).
    7, 8 - Twitter's network in Atlanta.

I hope this is a decent starting point to understand it.

• Nyr said: 6 netnod-ix-ge-b-sth-1500.twitter.com (194.68.128.229) 116.165 ms

Thats Netnod in Stockholm not Goteborg.

Thanked by 1Nyr
  • @jollymon said:
    Im concerned with Galera replication latency around my nodes.

What plans did you have network/architecture-wise for this? I run a three-node Galera cluster for a startup, and keeping low latencies is super-important. Were you thinking of keeping nodes in different regions of the US? It might make more sense to keep things all in the same area (but different DCs) for latency's sake, but do binlog replication elsewhere in case things go sour.

• @amhoab said:
    What plans did you have network/architecture-wise for this? I run a three-node Galera cluster for a startup, and keeping low latencies is super-important. Were you thinking of keeping nodes in different regions of the US? It might make more sense to keep things all in the same area (but different DCs) for latency's sake, but do binlog replication elsewhere in case things go sour.

I already have 5 production nodes running. 4 on ramnode in each geographic area they offer in the US. Today I just spun up a Vultr in Chicago that has more latency then I would like to the rest of the nodes, but its passable. 20-40 is fair enough. I dont go full ACID on transactions and if something misses then its not the end of the world. I'm 1 heavy read/ 10 small writes for all transactions for the most part. So far I have not had any sync issues however when it comes time to overseas the data edges, well then I am going to be looking binlog or something else most likely.

• Hey all I found a map! I have no idea but it looks cool.

http://www.submarinecablemap.com/

Thanked by 1theroyalstudent
  • @Nyr said:
    I hope this is a decent starting point to understand it.

Where's the best place to go to learn about all this stuff (peering, etc.)

• emgemg Veteran

OP got tired of cutting fiber in the Bay Area, and wants to branch out to other parts of the country.

• I prefer terminal for routeviews, there's always : http://bgplay.routeviews.org/.

@MarkTurner said:
    Thats Netnod in Stockholm not Goteborg.

Indeed (STH).

@hostnoob said:
    Where's the best place to go to learn about all this stuff (peering, etc.)

Not sure, sorry.