Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would this CPU suffice for a webserver with large amount of traffic?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Would this CPU suffice for a webserver with large amount of traffic?

Basically I'm buying a dedi and the specs are

CPU: Dualcore E2200
Memory: 2 GB

Would this suffice for a large scale website? I'm talking thousands upon thousands of site visists per minute.

thanks.

Comments

• Is this a dynamic or static website?

Language of the site (php/ruby/etc)?

Custom or using a CMS like wordpress/etc?

Hard to tell without knowing more.

Thanked by 1Darwin
  • Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

You would probably do better with more ram

• First answer what alinuxninja asked.

And define large scale. (Max hits/second, concurrent users, etc)

• No really. Whats your budget

• 1000 visits per minute -> 17qps. Yes it's way enough if your website is correctly optimized for low specs server.

One of my website runs under about 3qps on a Linode 1G VPS, and the system load keeps under 0.1. Again, only if it's "correctly optimized".

• ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

@msg7086 said:
    1000 visits per minute -> 17qps. Yes it's way enough if your website is correctly optimized for low specs server.

One of my website runs under about 3qps on a Linode 1G VPS, and the system load keeps under 0.1. Again, only if it's "correctly optimized".

This is not true. A page visit usually requires more than one request, considering XHR, CSS, JavaScript, image and/or other resources.

• @ericls said:
    This is not true. A page visit usually requires more than one request, considering XHR, CSS, JavaScript, image and/or other resources.

I have already excluded the static files, which don't really use that much resources if nginx or lightty are used. Disk I/O may be a concern. Yes there may be XHR but ... how much? And unnecessary XHR is also a place for optimization.

• RizRiz Member

What are you paying for that? $10?

Up your budget if it's important.

• Yeah, I agree, more RAM.
    Also is this box dedicated to be front-end web server only, or is it also hosting your middle tier and back-end, i.e. application server and database? If yes then you'll probably have to do better than that for the traffic you're expecting.

• If you have such a big usergroup that's important to you, why are you so cheap?

Spend some money, go with a large iWstack plan so you even have a true cloud server and could also do some HA if it becomes necessary at some point.