Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SEA-ME-WE5 Completion Impact
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SEA-ME-WE5 Completion Impact

fbcpckfbcpck Member
edited January 2016 in General

The SEA-ME-WE5 cable will be finished around November this year.

It has 24Tbps capacity, which is several times the capacity of its predecessors ( SEA-ME-WE4 has 1.28Tbps, and SEA-ME-WE3 has 0.96Tbps capacity ).

Would this increase monthly bandwidth of asian servers or perhaps bring cheaper asian servers?

How large would the impact be? What do you think?

The offtopic category might have been more relevant.

Please move it there if any of the moderators feel so.

Comments

• DanDan Member
    edited January 2016

Bandwidth will probably be a pretty penny on it in bandwidth strapped countries, and I doubt it'll cheapen bandwidth in Taiwan, China, Australia or any of the nations in the Pacific since it doesn't go as far as SEA-ME-WE4 went. They will definitely want to recoup their CAPEX, so countries with only a handful of fibers or artificially high prices can expect to bear the brunt of the cost (Yemen, Myanmar, Saudi Arabia, etc), and already wired countries like Singapore and France can plan on even more unmetered connections :P

• @Dan said:
    already wired countries like Singapore and France can plan on even more unmetered connections :P

And I would expect 10Gbps home residential internet to come pretty soon (and become a norm), too :D

• @theroyalstudent said:
    And I would expect 10Gbps home residential internet to come pretty soon (and become a norm), too :D

In singapore sure

but in india there is already enough BW for good internet but no ISP ever bothered to bring them to people so in my books the new cable will not change any thing in INDIA but we can all expect very steep growth in DC's in INDIA

• @simonindia said:
    very steep growth in DC's

+1 for this, I'm still waiting for the time when nodes in India are as cheap as what's possible in Singapore...

Not sure what are the ISPs in India doing, if they wanna profit more they gotta bring in more decent internet connections... Hope a new startup would bring some competition for high speed internet (1Gbps), like what has happened here.

Thanked by 1simonindia
  • @theroyalstudent said:
    Not sure what are the ISPs in India doing, if they wanna profit more they gotta bring in more decent internet connections... Hope a new startup would bring some competition for high speed internet (1Gbps), like what has happened here.

Corruption.....

• @cmsjr123 said: Corruption.....

You mean, like you can get a more decent internet connection to your home in India by paying the ISP's rep under the table money…?

• @aglodek said:
    You mean, like you can get a more decent internet connection to your home in India by paying the ISP's rep under the table money…?

in every developing country there will be an agency to watch the growth,internet penetration in rural & urban areas ,quality of internet connection that sort of stuff

but in India that the agency I'm talking about is corrupt as hell

soon there will be a massive change in the agency so i hope new rules & regulations will bring some quality internet to consumers.

Have a great day

• @theroyalstudent said:

Its slowly happening. See https://hayai.in/ and http://www.acttv.in/index.php/products/act-broadband

• Zzz FUP for everything omg