Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recommend VPS for N(E)tflxx
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Recommend VPS for N(E)tflxx

newseranewsera Member
edited January 2016 in Requests

Can you recommend a cheap VPS for watching US content on N(E)tflxx. Would be running OpenVPN or DNS/SNIProxy on it. Budget: less than 4$/month, preferably lowest since OpenVPN/DNS doesn't need great specs. VPS in West Coast / East Coast.

Comments

• newseranewsera Member
    edited January 2016

Tried Ramnode 13.50$/year plan. Their IP Range is considered as Proxy/Unblocker by N(E)tflxx. Also tried buyvm. No luck.

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited January 2016

Try getting a VPS with @QuadraNet_Adam. Their ranges haven't been blocked yet (at least for now)

• Keep them coming

Netflix employee is watching this thread ;)

Thanked by 1lukesUbuntu
  • doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited January 2016

Fine I'll use my own block of IPS @rokok ._.

Thanked by 1Jonchun
  • Netrouting (miami, fl) still works with netflix. But out of your budget.

• Netflix announced that once you register from another country, you won't be able to watch while traveling (or via vpn). I think they will target those ip's with a proper reverse dns, so getting a vpn might not work soon. (http://techcrunch.com/2016/01/22/netflix-makes-good-on-promises-to-crack-down-on-vpns-but-blocks-are-short-lived/)

• @rokok, How do you use ur own block? Would SWIP on Ramnode help?

• newsera said: @rokok, How do you use ur own block? Would SWIP on Ramnode help?

You buy/lease it from a LIR / RIR.

SWIP doesn't change the IP itself, only the information attached to it.

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • Haven't you guys heard of rabb.it ?

Thanked by 1GCat
  • Changing the title doesn't help in the slightest when Google is watching:

• Lol. Yeah.. Too late. Big brother is always watching us ;-)

• @Sherlock said:
    Haven't you guys heard of rabb.it ?

I hadn't. Thanks for sharing!

• smansman Member
    edited January 2016

Unless the IP is from a residential ISP I suspect most VPN's will stop working eventually. Residential ISP is no guarantee either. They will probably watch for multiple streams on those and shut them down as well.

• 0xdragon0xdragon Member
    edited January 2016

@sman said:
    Unless the IP is from a residential ISP I suspect most VPN's will stop working eventually. Residential ISP is no guarantee either. They will probably watch for multiple streams on those and shut them down as well.

That's a terrible idea, and I seriously doubt they'll do this. Dynamic IPs and NAT are used by many ISPs, and there's no guarantee of when ranges will be rotated, so good luck if they even try to block by "detecting multiple steams".

VPNs will continue to work for the foreseeable future.

• smansman Member
    edited January 2016

@0xdragon said:
    That's a terrible idea, and I seriously doubt they'll do this. Dynamic IPs and NAT are used by many ISPs, and there's no guarantee of when ranges will be rotated, so good luck if they even try to block by "detecting multiple steams".

What's your point? Terrible for them or for you?

I am pretty sure companies are doing this already. If a home user has 20 streams running that would be a pretty obvious thing to watch and automate. So dynamic IP's or whatever are a non-issue. Do you think they currently have trained monkeys sitting around manually banning IP's one at a time?

• Yep. I think initial targets would be the popular VPN Companies like PIA / PureVPN.. Blocking IP Ranges for popular VPS Providers like AWS would be suicidal for NF.

Thanked by 20xdragon Mark_R
  • @sman said:
    I am pretty sure companies are doing this already. If a home user has 20 streams running that would be a pretty obvious thing to watch and automate. So dynamic IP's or whatever are a non-issue. Do you think they currently have trained monkeys sitting around manually banning IP's one at a time?

For them. It would generate a lot of bad press, and the only reason that Netflix floats is because of their users.

I don't think you understand how NAT works... There could be a whole neighborhood under a single IP (yes, slightly exaggerated, but it might happen/already be happening). Yes, that will translate into more than 20 Netflix streams "running" from the same IP. No, I never said it wasn't automated. It probably is.

My point is still valid, they probably won't do this, and our previous VPNs will continue to work.

• I can only foresee this decision being bad for Netflix.

I wonder how many people will cancel when they can no longer access content of other areas and resort to torrents?

I've always thought Netflix charged a lot for the actual decent content you get.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • lukesUbuntulukesUbuntu Member
    edited January 2016

Has anyone tried https://uflix.com.au

• The lost subscriptions will probably be a drop in the bucket compared to the penalty clauses for allowing non area viewing. Then toss in the loss of shows and studios for allowing out of area viewing. Then toss in the failure to perform due care lawsuits.

• If netflix uses blocklists / blacklists, it'll always be a game of wack-a-mole. I'm interested in how they updated their VPN detection. Are they using the same technology and just have more people looking for VPN users or are they actually making progress with code / algorithms?

Thanked by 1lukesUbuntu
  • Everyone should chill. Netflix are being forced into this by content providers. It will all blow over with a few of the larger VPN companies blocked but anyone with half a brain still watching.

• @black said:
    If netflix uses blocklists / blacklists, it'll always be a game of wack-a-mole. I'm interested in how they updated their VPN detection. Are they using the same technology and just have more people looking for VPN users or are they actually making progress with code / algorithms?

They mentioned they had a comprehensive list. I assume they're purchasing this off a thirdparty that is doing the hard work.

All the talk is about VPNs no mention of DNS re routing..

• ATHK said: They mentioned they had a comprehensive list. I assume they're purchasing this off a thirdparty that is doing the hard work.

All the talk is about VPNs no mention of DNS re routing..

It sounds like they're just using blacklists then. Yawn.

• edited January 2016

And the blacklist sucks.

I can still access Netflix US using this VPS.

They should use @black 's API, which detects me as a VPN :P

Thanked by 1black
  • ALinuxNinja@, Can you PM me the VPS u use?

• 0xdragon said: I don't think you understand how NAT works... There could be a whole neighborhood under a single IP (yes, slightly exaggerated, but it might happen/already be happening). Yes, that will translate into more than 20 Netflix streams "running" from the same IP. No, I never said it wasn't automated. It probably is.

It's quite common to be CGNAT (Carrier NAT) on mobile data connections (3G/4G) and also some public wi-fi networks.