Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wanted - Dedicated server similar to Delimiters e5420 offer
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Wanted - Dedicated server similar to Delimiters e5420 offer

vetvettervetvetter Member
edited January 2016 in Requests

I am looking for a server similar to Delimiters current e5420 offer that is out there. I'm looking for a server with the same or better specs. Location: USA would be great, but not required. Their current offer is:

Dual e5420's

24GB of ram

120 SSD

1 IPV4

ILO/KVM

10TB transfer

$200 yr

**** Additional 4tb+ drive needed without a ridiculous per month price. Lets be honest a 4tb drive can be had for $90-170(consumer to enterprise grade) so charging $20+ a month for one is plain crazy.

The problem that I am having with their config is the additional storage for this server. Unfortunately it does not look like Delimiter is able to offer me what I am looking for. (adding a 4tb+ drive) I was told the configs offered were on the website, and the largest HDD offered is 2tb.

I would also be willing to provide my own storage drive(s) for the server if needed to help keep the costs down to where Delimiters offer is.

Payment for the year is of course not a problem at all and can be made promptly if the offer is right. Thank you in advance and I appreciate your time reading this!

Comments

• I'm sure delimiter will happily offer you 4tb drives on the Blade servers once they are available in 2.5" form factor.

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • vetvettervetvetter Member
    edited January 2016

I am sure they will. Large local storage is definitely a disadvantage of a blade format. At work all the cisco blades we have get connected to SAN which I'm sure how many other corporations that use blades do it. Of course the 1-2 drives that are on each blade are usually used just as boot disks.

I could do (2) 2tb disks as well, but I just cant justify spending as much as the server itself costs per HDD each month. I was told that they do provide new or as new disks. I appreciate and do respect that approach, but still can't wrap my head around the additional cost.

• If I could offer you more storage, I would love to. However, as I stated in our ticket and you mentioned above - we only use new or as-new drives. So with every server deploy we have the expense of using a new drive.

Along with that, if someone signs up monthly and cancels after 5-6 months - there's a good chance that drive is toast by our standards and we wouldn't put it in a customer machine. We're budget (low end) but refuse to cut corners on something as important as hard drives. I wouldn't sleep well at night knowing I was putting customers data at risk.

Most budget hosts will just use whatever they can get for cheap, including 4-5+ year old refurbished drives that fall apart within 3 months.

I wish you luck in your search, I'm sure you'll find someone who can offer a one-off upgrade price or ship in your drives scenario :)

• @vetvetter said:
    I could do (2) 2tb disks as well, but I just cant justify spending as much as the server itself costs per HDD each month. I was told that they do provide new or as new disks. I appreciate and do respect that approach, but still can't wrap my head around the additional cost.

Ship your own drives?

edited January 2016

@Jonchun said:
    Ship your own drives?

Correct. While maybe not the norm, I can't imagine that is totally unheard of. I am pretty sure I have seen this as a customer rents a base server with whatever it comes with, but then says "hey can you throw in an extra drive if I send you one..."

Obviously anything that went wrong with my drive would be my problem. I guess it would be a similar approach to what Delimiter does with their slot hosting but in a dedicated server type format.

I could also see a one time upgrade fee for what a drive would actually cost would seem normal to me.

• @mikeyur said:
    So with every server deploy we have the expense of using a new drive.

Along with that, if someone signs up monthly and cancels after 5-6 months - there's a good chance that drive is toast by our standards and we wouldn't put it in a customer machine. We're budget (low end) but refuse to cut corners on something as important as hard drives.

Wow, good to know. Will consider this for future upgrades.

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
    edited January 2016

@mikeyur said:
    If I could offer you more storage, I would love to. However, as I stated in our ticket and you mentioned above - we only use new or as-new drives. So with every server deploy we have the expense of using a new drive.

Along with that, if someone signs up monthly and cancels after 5-6 months - there's a good chance that drive is toast by our standards and we wouldn't put it in a customer machine. We're budget (low end) but refuse to cut corners on something as important as hard drives. I wouldn't sleep well at night knowing I was putting customers data at risk.

Most budget hosts will just use whatever they can get for cheap, including 4-5+ year old refurbished drives that fall apart within 3 months.

I wish you luck in your search, I'm sure you'll find someone who can offer a one-off upgrade price or ship in your drives scenario :)

Thanks again for your responses to my PM's. Also sorry if I came off as not getting it, that was totally not the case. In my line of work among my many hats, I am paid very well to be a problem solver and I believe there is a solution to every problem. I pride myself on finding that solution. Its just how I am wired....

I know we mostly focused on the drives for your servers, however I know I asked about additional bandwidth. Is this something possible? Feel free to drop me a PM if needed.

• @vetvetter said:
    I know we mostly focused on the drives for your servers, however I know I asked about additional bandwidth. Is this something possible? Feel free to drop me a PM if needed.

At this time it isn't. We had a couple higher bandwidth configs that are currently out of stock, but they're around the $49/m mark with 20TB (and obviously better spec'd boxes). Might have some units available in the coming weeks.

I mentioned this in the other thread, but for me to get approval on such high spec boxes out the door for pennies I really have to cut back on upgrade options and stick to set configs.

This is also to ensure we can meet tighter delivery deadlines. We need to be a little less flexible, which means we won't fit everyone's use case - but I feel we've been extremely generous with configs, bandwidth, etc to satisfy most uses.

Trying to please everyone, but that just isn't possible. If I can get 90-95% of the way there then I'll be satisfied that I've done my job, and have to apologize to the 5-10% that I can't help.

Thanked by 2Kris MarkTurner
  • Ask them if you ship the drive to them, they'll put it in your server for some fee.

• The rest of them can open threads and make conspiracy stories.

mikeyur said: 5-10% that I can't help.

Thanked by 1mike0000
  • @black said:
    Ask them if you ship the drive to them, they'll put it in your server for some fee.

Which company are you talking about?

• vetvetter said: Which company are you talking about?

Delimiter. As I recall, they offer a KVM based service that lets you ship your own drive to them.

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • Source for the 2.5 format 4 tb drives? That are at a price someone looking for a bottom dollar dedi would buy?

• lazyt said: Source for the 2.5 format 4 tb drives

I haven't seen any 4TB 2.5" disks at all yet. I know Seagate has announced one, but not seen it for sale.

Thanked by 1Kris
  • Would it make sense for delimiter to offer SAN storage for the blade servers? What would the performance be like with SAN storage compared to a local 5400rpm HDD?

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • wwabbit said: Would it make sense for delimiter to offer SAN storage for the blade servers? What would the performance be like with SAN storage compared to a local 5400rpm HDD?

We can offer SAN (over FC) or NAS (over ethernet) from NetApp storage, we have many customers using that solution. Its delivered over dedicated gigabit port to the blade and mounted over NFS.

Single spinning disk performance irrespective is going to be slower than a high performance storage system like NetApp.

Others who don't need a POSIX filesystem (although there are kludges to do it) can use ObjSpace.

Thanked by 2amhoab wwabbit
  • MarkTurner said: I haven't seen any 4TB 2.5" disks at all yet. I know Seagate has announced one, but not seen it for sale.

Me neither, have been looking to make my bare-metal project 'worthwhile' with something more than 1TB drives.

That 8TB Archive v2 HDD I got on Black Friday is actually pretty fast (140 MB/s) but only using it for cold storage.

She's a beast weight wise, and uses every bit of the 3.5' footprint. A lot of people are not a fan.

Passed my drive testing, some DOA apparently. Not going to tempt fate, waiting for a sale to get another to RAID1 things up before actually storing files.

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • Kris said: That 8TB Archive v2 HDD I got on Black Friday is actually pretty fast (140 MB/s) but only using it for cold storage.

Personally I've had a lot of good experience with Toshiba 5TB's, I bought a pile from B&H in New York.