Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenVPN what cpu for 150mbit.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenVPN what cpu for 150mbit.

I have a nighthawk r7000 and with OpenVPN I'm only able to achieve circa 30mbit down.. Kinda depressing as it would be nice to provide the entire lan or specific parts of via policies VPN access.

Does anyone know what I would need to be able to get the full 150mbit down? My old laptop is quad core (forgotten the cpu) which I may install pfsense on and just use the r7000 as the wireless AP.

Be interested to know if anyone has managed more than 30mbit through the same or similar hardware..

Comments

• It would also depend on your server, the distance, and the number of users connected at that time.

• krs360krs360 Member
    edited January 2016

I understand that.

I can connect from my pc, phone(s) or laptop and get 150+ however from the r7000 or my odroid c1 I can only get 30mbit.

Just connected to the VPN from my iPhone 6 Plus and got 135mbit..

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

The most important factors are usually the CPU and the cipher.

To get 150 mbps with blowfish, you'll need a decent core. If you get a CPU with AES-NI support, switch to AES 128 since it'll perform better.

It's difficult to be specific since there are many variables, but a modern CPU should do at least 100 mbps. Check also sndbuf and rcvbuf if you aren't using the latest OpenVPN version.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • You won't be able to get 150mbit with a consumer router. I would recommend making a cheap pfsense box

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • Thanks for replies.

Quite likely I'll need to dig out the old laptop then!

• I am having the same issue. I have an asus and using the router as a client to openvpn gives me 10 down.
    I was thinking of getting a mini pc and installing pfsense on it, but I don't know what the improvement would be.

I heard good things about flashing the router with tomato but it may be the hardware

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@sysamy said:
    I am having the same issue. I have an asus and using the router as a client to openvpn gives me 10 down.
    I was thinking of getting a mini pc and installing pfsense on it, but I don't know what the improvement would be.

I heard good things about flashing the router with tomato but it may be the hardware

Tomato will not do magic for the performance. Even a cheap atom should give you 50 mbps at least.

Thanked by 1sysamy
  • Nyr said: Even a cheap atom should give you 50 mbps at least.

Yup, I get way more than that on that OneProvider 7EUR/mo offer with the VIA Nano

Thanked by 1sysamy