Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IPv6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IPv6

It is possible to go IPv6 only these days? Do you need an IPv4?

Comments

• Sure you can, but if you have a public site most people with ipv4 broadbands/connections won't see your site.

• I was just wondering how widespread that is? How many connections are IPv4 only?

• @MattCNS said:
    I was just wondering how widespread that is? How many connections are IPv4 only?

A lot. My ISP has native IPv6, but I had to disable that due to various of reason. I'm still IPv4 only.

But you can get a server with IPv6 only and use cloudflare to tunnel it, that way people without IPv6 can still access your sites. But the limitations are only for web traffic, so if you are hosting other stuff (like a game server for example), then you are SOL.

• MattCNS said: I was just wondering how widespread that is? How many connections are IPv4 only?

My content is mainly tech related so i have a bias in it obviously, but i see around 20% IPv6.

• emgemg Veteran

I am curious to know the reasons why @TheOnlyDK disabled IPv6 and is running IPv4 only, even though his ISP offers native IPv6.

My home ISP offers IPv6, and I use it without issues. I wonder whether I am missing something important.

• @emg said:
    I am curious to know the reasons why TheOnlyDK disabled IPv6 and is running IPv4 only, even though his ISP offers native IPv6.

My home ISP offers IPv6, and I use it without issues. I wonder whether I am missing something important.

There's this Chinese Video Streaming site (like YouTube, but non user uploadable and full of TV shows and stuff, but that's not the point) just fails to load when I have IPv6 enabled. My network simply can't resolve the hostname into an IP (the website is IPv4 only I assume) and whenever I ping the hostname, it will just say unable to find route or something, and I just can't open the website. But if I disable IPv6, it's all good. I tried to set the IPv4/v6 priority stuff from my PC, but that didn't work too well, so I just disabled IPv6 as a whole (since it's not a 100% needed thing for me anyways).

But yea, it's just a incompatible issue between IPv6 and this site and I can't fix it without disabling IPv6.

• @TheOnlyDK said:
    My network simply can't resolve the hostname into an IP (the website is IPv4 only I assume)

The problem could be that they support IPv6, but have it configured in a way that screws up the handshake. I had a similar issue when I set up my email server, discovering that Google accepted connections through IPv6, and required that I have rDNS set for the sending IP. I had configured rDNS for IPv4, but I didn't think it necessary for my IPv6 addresses, not until Google made their demand.

• @MattCNS said: I was just wondering how widespread that is?

Not very.

@MattCNS said: How many connections are IPv4 only?

The vast, vast majority.

• My ISP doesn't offer IPv6 I feel left out :(

• frkfrk Member

VPNs aren't working 100% with IPv6 yet, for example airvpn disables ipv6 completely to prevent any leaks from happening.

• i83i83 Member

You ideally still want some form of IPv4 connection, even if its via NAT as not everyone has IPv6 connections and certain repo's/mirrors may not have IPv6 implemented yet.

There are work arounds such as using Cloudflare for a v4>v6 tunnel for web hosting for example but not everything is IPv6 only suitable yet.