Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dacentec After 3 Months: Quick Review of Support
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dacentec After 3 Months: Quick Review of Support

edited January 2016 in Reviews

I've had a server from Dacentec for just over three months now (a $20/month 2x2TB machine with an extra 2Tb drive added). It is being used to store backups & other files, and runs a few VMs (these are mainly copies of VMs from elsewhere that are used to automatically test that some of the backups kept on the machine are correct and restore cleanly, one is running a "live" alpha release of one of my little projects).

In the last day or so one of the drive started reporting sector errors (via SMART). This is understandable (these things happen) and luckily my software RAID setup saved me from data loss.

I must say that I was very impressed, considering the inexpensive price of the server, with the speed of their responses to my support requests, firstly to have the errant drive replaced and secondly to have the remove KVM enabled because the OS did not boot correctly afterwards (due to an error on my part it would seem, which thankfully it looks like I've managed to resolve - we'll see for sure when the array completes resyncing).

Other than this hardware fault which I can't blame them for, the server has performed to expectations, I've had no complaints about the network either, and the support response when needed has been exceptional for the price.

I would happily recommend their services to others!

Thanked by 1theroyalstudent

Comments

• Cool review, cool username :)

• BradyHBradyH Member, Host Rep

Good to know. I just ordered a server from them to use as a off site backup. So was not sure about them. I had contacted support once today and they responded within 15 min. So far so good.

• How many 'network maintenance' emails have you received in 3 months? Do you monitor your network connections with SNMP or third parties?

• I've received two emails about network maintenance in around 8 months. Don't recall when exactly the last one was, but it was sometime before 10-22.

I did have both my servers go down for about 2-3 minutes for some network issue that wasn't related to any maintenance (there's a thread about it here somewhere, maybe August?).

• I was with them Feb 2013 - Feb 2014. Received 17 network maintenance emails, including 3 in one week. Once I left in March or April, received an email May 2014 regarding power loss to the facility.

• doughmanes said: How many 'network maintenance' emails have you received in 3 months? Do you monitor your network connections with SNMP or third parties?

2 emails about maintenance since September. Minor downtime of the network (monitoring via observium), just some minutes twice early this Autum, server up since the day I installed it.
    So, for the price, service is very good.

• @doughmanes said:
    Do you monitor your network connections with SNMP or third parties?

I don't have active monitoring on that server at the moment. There was one point where I noticed a network issue and that was resolved quickly. Though people who have been using their services longer would be a more useful reference on such matters than someone who has only been there for three months.

• MeAtExampleDotCom said: Though people who have been using their services longer would be a more useful reference on such matters than someone who has only been there for three months.

I could be suggesting something for you to do if you wish to consider staying 3 more months

• jvnadr said: Apple. A company that simplifies all the tasks you never before had to do!

Sorry, totally off-topic.
    Gave us a good LOL moment.

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • @doughmanes said:
    I could be suggesting something for you to do if you wish to consider staying 3 more months

It is something that I intend to setup generally, though it has been on my "must do soon" for some time now...

• OVH VPS (or anybody with a good network blend) + LibreNMS + NixStats or any "uptime" monitoring by a third party = you're good with the third party monitoring being something to compare your LibreNMS/Observium stats against.

• @doughmanes said:
    I was with them Feb 2013 - Feb 2014. Received 17 network maintenance emails, including 3 in one week. Once I left in March or April, received an email May 2014 regarding power loss to the facility.

Hasn't gotten much better. 1 minute checks since mid-October.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • @mikeyur said:

Which monitoring tools?

• @robohost said:
    Which monitoring tools?

Wormly