Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to Setup Ruby on Rails for CentOS or Fedora
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to Setup Ruby on Rails for CentOS or Fedora

actionxactionx Member
edited January 2013 in Tutorials

This tutorial will guide you through setting up a basic Ruby on Rails environment, installing:

Ruby 1.8.7
RubyGems 1.8.15
Rails 3.1.3
Sqlite3

This tutorial was written for CentOS, Fedora, and other EL-based systems.
To start, log in to your VPS via SSH and update your system:

# yum update

Install Ruby:

# yum install ruby ruby-devel ruby-irb ruby-rdoc ruby-ri

Check the version installed:

# ruby -v

Install RubyGems:

# mkdir ~/sources
# cd ~/sources
# wget http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/45905/rubygems-1.3.1.tgz
# tar xzvf rubygems-1.3.1.tgz
# cd  rubygems-1.3.1
# ruby setup.rb

Update RubyGems:

# gem update –system

Install Rails:

# gem install rails

Install Sqlite3:

# yum install sqlite-devel
# gem install sqlite3-ruby

Install Postfix and Subversion:

# yum install postfix subversion -y

You should now have an updated and functional RoR environment!

Comments

• nice copy&paste from an old tutorial posted on a few sites ie. https://my.vps6.net/knowledgebase/57/How-to-Setup-Ruby-on-Rails-for-CentOSorFedora-VPS.html

are you spamming LET with random tutorials just to have enough posts to send you vps offer?

• nope this is tutorials i got from the net while i was a noob in vps so just sharing alot of people thanked me so they havent bumped into it

• @actionx said: nope this is tutorials i got from the net while i was a noob in vps so just sharing

So @marrco was right: copy&paste.

@actionx said: alot of people thanked me

Not really. Stop spamming threads with basic Linux commands and tutorials you didn't write yourself.

• Another great option for those with cPanel is to implement it via that. Makes life much easier for the end-user with limited Linux experience.

• @actionx said: nope this is tutorials i got from the net while i was a noob in vps so just sharing alot of people thanked me so they havent bumped into it

you know, content is usually copyrighted

• @ZonedHost said: Another great option for those with cPanel is to implement it via that. Makes life much easier for the end-user with limited Linux experience.

cPanel's Ruby on Rails integration is horribly wrong. It was horribly wrong when they released it, and nothing has been done to improve it since.

Companies serious about offering Rails hosting should forget about the "Ruby on Rails support" that cPanel offers and learn how to compile 1.9.3 from source, install Bundler and Passenger, and enable Passenger via htaccess.