Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stable/Relible Hong Kong VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Stable/Relible Hong Kong VPS?

Hi. I am looking for a stable/relible Hong Kong Linux VPS (Not Openvz) for a start up company. They need to host a new company website, a internal accounting system and business VPN (Starting with 5 users. Depends on how the company grow, will be likely increase up to 15 users) connection between China mainland, Japan, and North America.

Spec requirement:
2 CPUs core (Performance at e3-1220v3 or above, most of the time will be very low CPU utilization. Only high utilization for daily/weekly application reporting happening during Hong Kong midnight)
60GB SSD and/or 150GB SSD-cached HDD (Hopefully option to increase disk space later on)
1.5TB total traffic per month (Most likely will not use up at the first few months)
1G RAM
2 IP v4 (one for website, one for internal application and VPN)
100Mbit or better network

Comments

• 0xdragon0xdragon Member
    edited January 2016
  • ErogamiErogami Member
    edited January 2016

@0xdragon said:
    DediServe

Their HK network location network latency seem like crazy high connecting to China Mainland/ North America

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

What is your budget?

We are mainly based in HK and if you need good performance to China, we have direct routes.

In HK we have a few options.

1.) Cloud Server based on Parallels Virtuozzo platform (real VPS, not container like OpenVZ). For this we use distributed cloud storage and SSD write journalling, so disk performance is pretty good! Cloud is now our standard line of 'VPS'.

or

2.) Xen/HyperV/Proxmox based virtualization. An alternative for those on a budget. SSD is also available but there is no backup with this.

Do you have a budget in mind? Depending on your exact traffic requirements, it could be quite costly. Maybe around US$200 /mon

Thanked by 1Erogami
  • @randvegeta said:
    What is your budget?

We are mainly based in HK and if you need good performance to China, we have direct routes.

In HK we have a few options.

1.) Cloud Server based on Parallels Virtuozzo platform (real VPS, not container like OpenVZ). For this we use distributed cloud storage and SSD write journalling, so disk performance is pretty good! Cloud is now our standard line of 'VPS'.

or

2.) Xen/HyperV/Proxmox based virtualization. An alternative for those on a budget. SSD is also available but there is no backup with this.

Do you have a budget in mind? Depending on your exact traffic requirements, it could be quite costly. Maybe around US$200 /mon

This Hong Kong server mostly facing client/staff from China Mainland. There will be two other servers backing thing up from China/Japan. How much is your traffic plan cost per unit?

• belinikbelinik Member
    edited January 2016

if majority of users are mainland china user, use a server in China. There is no reason to have a server at hong kong unless you are using vpn as a way to -bypass- certain restricted access from china. And on normal route you are more then likely unable to get sustain 10mbit to hong kong from china unless you have some special setup in both hong kong and china side.

Thanked by 1Erogami

Erogami said: How much is your traffic plan cost per unit?

Depends on the route. If you want China Telecom, it's about US$140 /mbit. If you want HGC or Pacnet, they are much more reasonable, like US$40 /mbit. Both offer direct route to China but its not guaranteed.

You mentioned 1.5TB data transfer would be about 5Mbit, hence the VPS would be around or above US$200 /month. However that assumes all traffic will be directed to China.

Unless you plan on using the server as a VPN, indeed, you may be better off with a server IN China.

Thanked by 1Erogami
  • @belinik said:
    if majority of users are mainland china user, use a server in China. There is no reason to have a server at hong kong unless you are using vpn as a way to -bypass- certain restricted access from china.

I tried couple China VPS/Cloud provider. I found the server in China is so unreliable and service is very bad as well. In additional, China have horrible network connectivity to Japan/North America, which is a big issue.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Would you consider getting something in Japan instead?

• ErogamiErogami Member
    edited January 2016

@randvegeta said:

Okay, thanks for the info. This VPN will use as business VPN for the China staff, but it will only allow the user to use it to browser certain web that require to do their work which are blocked inside China.

• @EVM_Mike said:
    Would you consider getting something in Japan instead?

I already have some server/cloud server in JP, just the connectivity to China isn't looking good.

EVM_Mike said: Would you consider getting something in Japan instead?

Connectivity to China from Japan is awful! Don't waste your time.

@Erogami, we host quite a few VPN providers, 2 of them quite large and well known. Neither of them use China Telecom due to the high cost, so generally speaking I would recommend going for alternative routes as they are probably sufficient.

So how much traffic do you actually expect to flow to China? For non-China traffic, it could be much cheaper. If you don't need LOW latency, then there are many options.

Thanked by 1Erogami
  • Hosthatch?

• @randvegeta said:

For China, I believe 200-300GB traffic per month for the first few months should be enough. The application do need to be about 40-50ms latency to China(mostly Guangdong, China area) otherwise there will be some syncing issue.

• @itgods said:
    Hosthatch?

I don't see any hosthatch offer on their website?

• wwabbitwwabbit Member
    edited January 2016

Hostus is stable, reliable, reputable and offers VPS in HK. I don't think it has direct China connectivity though.
    http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/72255/new-year-s-resolution-less-idle-vps-more-real-use

Thanked by 2Erogami AlexanderM
  • @wwabbit said:
    Hostus is stable, reliable, reputable and offers VPS in HK. I don't think it has direct China connectivity though.
    http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/72255/new-year-s-resolution-less-idle-vps-more-real-use

The test IP that they provided ping latency looks very good, not sure how the real VPS looks like. I will probably give it a try.

Thanked by 1AlexanderM
  • Hostus provides good performance. If the latency is fine, then the VPS will be fine as well.

Thanked by 1AlexanderM
  • There can be wildly different latency to HK depending on your provider at the GD end. Using China Mobile Broadband, I get better latency to Singapore (~45ms) than to HK (~120ms). Using China Unicom 3G results in ~160ms to Singapore (looks like they go via Japan). This is from GZ during daytime (office hours). Suggest you test different providers at your end and check both HK and Singapore as well (e.g. DigitalOcean).

Thanked by 1Erogami
  • HostUS is OpenVZ.

Thanked by 2bersy AlexanderM
  • AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@wwabbit said:

There is direct connectivity with China Telecom and China Unicom from our Hong Kong location. Although this reduces network hops, latency can still change due to internal routing and congestion in mainland China.

Many ISP in HK have direct connection to China, but unless you get DEDICATED China bandwidth, there is no garuantee that you will get low latency or high throughput. Generally speaking, the large ISPs (like Pacnet, HGC, PCCW, HKBN) will all provide acceptable performance for most of the time. But the bandwidth they sell does not expect that usage will be 100% China so it is very possible that during peak hours, performance may be affected.

That being said, you probably can make do with these kinds of routes, and it won't cost so much. If only 300 or so GB is expected to China, and the rest may use even cheaper routes, then the price can be significantly lower.

Bare in mind however that offers of large amounts of data transfer and low price without any specifics as to the route probably means highly oversold international bandwidth.

• @Erogami said:
    I don't see any hosthatch offer on their website?

https://portal.hosthatch.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=199

Thanked by 1Erogami
  • @Brad said:
    HostUS is OpenVZ.

Yes, I specify require anything else but OpenVZ. Anyone else got any better HK provider option?

• XSXXSX Member, Host Rep

come on here.

• @Pzea said:
    come on here.

Could you please send me a ping test IP / speed test file?

• XSXXSX Member, Host Rep

https://www.pzea.com/Asia-HongKong-Kvm.html

this Kvm virtualization VPS, if you want dedicated server i can give you dual L5630 10Mbps quote.

Thanked by 1Erogami
  • ErogamiErogami Member
    edited January 2016

@Pzea said:
    https://www.pzea.com/Asia-HongKong-Kvm.html

this Kvm virtualization VPS, if you want dedicated server i can give you dual L5630 10Mbps quote.

Okay, I saw the IP on PM. Also, could you please send me a speed test file link for that IP as well?
    I will do some testing during office hour. Thanks.

• Conoha in Japan had direct peering to China last time I used it? GMO? They had nice budget plans, too

Thanked by 1Erogami
  • @zevus said:
    Conoha in Japan had direct peering to China last time I used it? GMO? They had nice budget plans, too

Thanks for suggestion, but latency is the main problem.

• You can try ClubVPS (clubvps.com), it offers a free trial for first month. Their Hong Kong VPS was fastest connection I've ever used to China..... the issue being that it's limited to 200GB per mo, before you have to start paying extra. I believe their 'free trial' is nearly unlimited usage, though ($500?).

Maybe if you tried it out and liked it you could talk the price down for a set 1.5TB limit?