Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What kind of VPS models is it you (as a customer) want these days?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What kind of VPS models is it you (as a customer) want these days?

Hello,
I have been working towards opening my own VPS Hosting Service since quite some time now and right now I am wondering what sorts of VPS models (what would you use a vps for) are needed today?

Here are a few common ones I came up with:

Storeage VPS

Those are apparently quite popular these days. What is the average size you would say a storeage vps should have? And what is a price estimate? I was thinking about 1 vCore, 1TB HDD, 1000 mbit/s unmetered, 1gb ram about 5$/m?

Regular SSD VPS

Starting at something like 10gb ssd up to say 50gb ssd. Smallest plan maybe 1vCore, 10gb ssd, 500 mbit/s unmetered fair use (no bots, bitcoin mining..), 1gb ram, basic ddos protection about 5$/m

Regular HDD VPS

Starting at ~20gb hdd up to say ~250gb.

Smallest plan 1vCore, 20gb hdd, 500 mbit/s unmetered fair use (see above), 1gb ram, basic ddos protection, about 5$/m.

The gamers choice VPS

Especially for gamers. Something like 4vCores, 30gb ssd, 500 mbit/s unmetered fair use, 4gb ram, basic ddos protection about 10$/m

Anymore VPS plan ideas ?

Hope you have some more ideas :)

Comments

• Ympker said: 1TB HDD

Ympker said: 1000 mbit/s unmetered

Ympker said: 5$/m

I smell failure.

• Your 4 examples/models all require their own node? 4 nodes as overhead sounds risky as a new provider

• An inexpensive resource pool with multiple IP addresses and locations. Let me the user tailor my VPS to my needs and wants instead of locking me into a limited number of options.

• We like free server trials for up to 3 years. We like chairs as well.

• @UnitUnidentified said:
    We like free server trials for up to 3 years. We like chairs as well.

Sofas are better.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • @theroyalstudent said:
    Sofas are better.

Don't give @ChairHosting ideas....He will steal the market Furniture Hosting marketplace if you keep giving him ideas.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited January 2016

At this rate I am still far away from acctually going live with the project so none of these ideas are final. This discussion is merely to learn about my target audiences demands. As I have already worked close together with another provider here in Germany acting as an affilate reseller and thus I was able to write down some vps example pricings I would be able to offer as I will be working together with them once more. Dont get me wrong I am not a fully fledged professional in the scene yet and you could rather call me an ambitous upcoming rookie who is currently working towards the LPI certificate aswell as gonna attend a Server Administrator course in Nuremberg, Germany.

• I'm starting TableHosting soon.

Jk.

• I am sorry to let you guys down but I have already licensed CouchHosting(dot)com :)

About 3 year long trials..I guess I will loose you as a customer here but I will offer a 30 day money back guarantee. No specific reason for cancellation needed.

Thanked by 1luissousa
  • @Ympker said:
    I am sorry to let you guys down but I have already licensed CouchHosting(dot)com :)

About 3 year long trials..I guess I will loose you as a customer here but I will offer a 30 day money back guarantee. No specific reason for cancellation needed.

Pay me dollars

• don't do unmetered and keep away possible abusers. 2TB bw should suffer for most people. $5 per 1TB is nice, but do xen or kvm... no need for kernels 2.6, even on storage VPS

• @Falzo said:
    don't do unmetered and keep away possible abusers. 2TB bw should suffer for most people. $5 per 1TB is nice, but do xen or kvm... no need for kernels 2.6, even on storage VPS

As i am not yet too much into all thos could you point out the differences between xen, kvm and ovz or just state why you advise me to especially go with the ones you mentioned?

• tehdantehdan Member
    edited January 2016

I can get all of the above from established, reputable providers. There's no magic combination of RAM/Storage/Bandwidth that will make you rich. Its a crowded market, and if you're new to it you're at a significant disadvantage especially in terms of IP cost/availability. What can you do that's different?

In your business plan, how many months will you need to run before your first server(s) are self-sustaining - ie have enough paying customers to cover their cost? Do you have the cash on hand to make it this far? What rate of new customers have you assumed? What rate of non-renewals do you expect?

• i need storage vps which allow torrent and adult related files, i dont want to store thomas & friend cartoon, spongebob, or any other childish thing on my VPS

Thanked by 2sin linuxthefish
  • @Ympker said:
    As i am not yet too much into all thos could you point out the differences between xen, kvm and ovz or just state why you advise me to especially go with the ones you mentioned?

maybe start reading here: http://vpstutorial.com/the-differences-of-xen-kvm-openvz-which-is-right-for-me/

from a marketing point of view Xen/KVM will do much better, as they promise some kind of 'quality'-tag to the customer.
    it's not just doing cheap overselling for the masses like OVZ mostly stands for.

while those things about quality differences are not always true, kvm or xen at least allow more experienced customers to use their own kernel and some more hardware related things to setup as they wish.
    thus they do promise somewhat more security and privacy (again, not always true)...

on the downside you have to do a better calculation on kvm/xen as they are probably not that easily oversold as openvz is ;-)

• bersybersy Member
    edited January 2016

KVM/Xen multilocation VDR/pool

• VPSAddictVPSAddict Member
    edited January 2016

OpenVZ offerings are OK for budget... OpenVZ has less overhead and allows 64MB/128MB RAM plans to run nicely as it doesn't have to run the full operating system. It only uses resources for the applications it runs. But if you take your products seriously it would be wise to offer a KVM/Xen plan as @Falzo said above. Game servers are usually hosted on Xen while a good general "all around" server should run on KVM.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited January 2016

Resource pools (preferably KVM), with multiple locations (preferably multiple countries/continents).

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • Thank you guys for all the input! Means alot :)

• Thank you for coming to a forum of cheapskates to solicit personal preferences in order to inform your future business decisions. Means alot :)

Thanked by 2tehdan doughmanes
  • Meansa lot.

Nekki said: We're all cunts

• @aubert said:
    i need storage vps which allow torrent and adult related files, i dont want to store thomas & friend cartoon, spongebob, or any other childish thing on my VPS

I downloaded a SpongeBob movie and Ted on my VPS when I was on DO, got myself several DMCA notices. HAHAHA

• sinsin Member

I love signing up with providers that have a unique control panel, features, etc...and I usually get 1GB+ KVM plans although I do have an OpenVZ plan with Ramnode and HostUS

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • VPS in HK.

• theroyalstudent said: SpongeBob movie and Ted

Ted is a shitty movie that only got hyped because that teddy bear is constantly swearing.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • Unique control panel/billing area + pooled resources and reseller enabled. It beats developing plans to fit into customer's budgets versus just selling them resources. Want 4 CPUs, 8GB of RAM and 1TB of disk so a customer can create 2 VMs? - sure $x.xx due. Oh 4 CPUs, 16GB of RAM, and only 250gb disk? This much.

Thanked by 2Jonchun Ympker
  • VPS Resource Pools (w of ram, x amount of disk space, y of bandwidth, z of IPs) to go around, multiple locations preferably. There's Wable. I tried HostMyBytes, but only Canada works due to IP shortages, and the UI is wonky on a good day, so there's a market to go after.

If you're studying now, by the time you start hosting or offering it, it will all be about Docker, Kubernetes, containerization really.

The industry is waking up about benchmarks mattering when scaling, and Xen / even KVM just has too much overhead.

It's all about Docker / Kubernetes going into 2016, with more adoption coming in 2017 likely. With Google backing Kubernetes, I see that going far.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Top one is nice if you can keep up that price, bottom ones someone might as well go with digital ocean

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @UnitUnidentified said:
    We like free server trials for up to 3 years. We like chairs as well.

A chair in CC's NY is about as much use as a fucking server there.

• Frecyboy said: Ted is a shitty movie that only got hyped because Seth MacFarlane *

For a good couple of years FOX had 2 solid hours of his programming. 1 hour of Family Guy, The Cleveland Show, (Family Guy spin-off) and American Dad.

Thanked by 1Frecyboy