Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DigitalOcean now offers double the memory and SSD on all plans :D - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DigitalOcean now offers double the memory and SSD on all plans :D

Comments

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@Amitz said: They do not offer enough included cores for me. Any SSD host here on LET/LEB has more to offer concerning this...

What do you need?

• @Amitz said: They do not offer enough included cores for me. Any SSD host here on LET/LEB has more to offer concerning this...

but it's still fast™

• @taronyu said: What is the name of Jhadley? I'm interrested. I already got a server with Ramnode/Nick_A, But DO is in Amsterdam while Nick isn't.

@jhadley is in the UK: http://www.sysadmin.co.uk/vps-hosting/

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited January 2013

@Nick_A said: What do you need?

Exactly what you and Prometeus (for example) already offer. I am a customer of yours with 2 VPS. I really do not see the big thing about Digital Ocean, to be honest. I mean, being able to take snapshots is fine, everything is -oh- so fancy and polished. But I see no reason (for me) to use them.

I sacrificed some $ and got a DO droplet for 5 bucks. My Ramnode VPS costs me < $5 with a coupon. And even though it is "just" SSD-cached, look at the comparison:

Ramnode 512 MB CVZ:

[root@ram ~]# ./bench.sh
    CPU model :    Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1230 V2 @ 3.30GHz
    Number of cores : 2
    CPU frequency : 3299.943 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 512 MB
    Total amount of swap : 512 MB
    System uptime :   32 days, 3:06,       
    Download speed : (47.0MB/s) 
    I/O speed : 557MB/s

Digital Ocean 512 MB Droplet:

root@do:~# ./bench.sh
    CPU model :    QEMU Virtual CPU version 1.0
    Number of cores : 1
    CPU frequency : 1999.999 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 502 MB
    Total amount of swap : 0 MB
    System uptime :   5 min,       
    Download speed : (10.7MB/s) 
    I/O speed : 199MB/s

Okay. The Ramnode VPS that I have is not a KVM, but the price difference is not that big. And Ramnode (Prometeus as well) have a WAY more impressive IO and network speed.

• jhjh Member
    edited January 2013

@taronyu

PM me a spec :)

• janjan Member

@ztec said: my average ping is 102ms, which is pretty much an impossible ping if it's really hosted in The Netherlands...

Ping from home (Slovakia) -> DigitalOcean = 109ms (hmmm... sounds like the machine is in the USA?)
    Ping from my other VPS in NL -> DigitalOcean = 1ms (so it's not the USA after all...)

Looks like their routing is a bit strange or there's something else going on... Can anyone investigate / confirm?

• @jhadley said: PM me a spec :)

I am not sure what you are trying to tell me, jhadley...

• @Amitz said: Exactly what you and Prometeus (for example) already offer. I am a customer of yours with 2 VPS.

So why derail the thread?

If you are happy with RamNode than great, happy for you, move along now.

This thread is about DO and the great deal they have. Sure they are not perfect but still a good deal for some of us who need something in NY or NL.

• jhjh Member

@Amitz said: I am not sure what you are trying to tell me, jhadley...

Sorry I misread and have corrected my post.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited January 2013

@luma said: So why derail the thread?

If you are happy with RamNode than great, happy for you, move along now.

This thread is about DO and the great deal they have. Sure they are not perfect but still a good deal for some of us who need something in NY or NL.

Blah... ;-)
    As if derailing would be uncommon on LET. AND: I am not even trying to derail something. At least that was not my intention. I just wondered whether I missed some great detail about DO that you could educate me about.

• @Amitz said: As if derailing would be uncommon on LET. AND: I am not even trying to derail something. At least that was not my intention. I just wondered whether I missed some great detail that you could educate me about.

Oh, okay, so you don't mind next time RamNode posts an ad thread I can go in there and brag about how much I like Digital Ocean better?

• @gubbyte said: Oh, okay, so you don't mind next time RamNode posts an ad thread I can go in there and brag about how much I like Digital Ocean better?

Apples and oranges; this is a discussion not an offer.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited January 2013

@gubbyte said: Oh, okay, so you don't mind next time RamNode posts an ad thread I can go in there and brag about how much I like Digital Ocean better?

You are free to do whatever you want to do. Really. I am not a Fanboy of Ramnode or others. And especially I am not up to cause trouble or to upset anyone. So I am out of here... ;-)

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited January 2013

@Amitz said: I really do not see the big thing about Digital Ocean, to be honest.

I don't see it either, it could be just handy to have something there sleeping (without wasting money) prepared to power it up anytime.
    I don't compare it with prometeus, ramnode, etc... (reliable, stable hosts I pay and I want them online whole time) neither see it potential replacement for those hosts. It's different kind of a beast and I suspect that many LEB clients won't waste their $5 - $25 credit per ages. Especially those with plenty paid idle VPSs waiting to do something from them.
    Possability to set up and then power off vps till it won't be needed (for playing, testing, developing, vpn-ing, etc... with various resources plan) without wasting money in meantime is this main difference I think.

• @Spirit said: I don't see it either, it could be just handy to have something there sleeping (without wasting money) prepared to power it up anytime.

I'm going to use it as an on-demand VPN, so when I need it I can just create a droplet from a snapshot of a vanilla OpenVPN install - it'll be interesting to see how far my $26.25 takes me.

• @Spirit said: Possability to set up and then power off vps till it won't be needed (for playing, testing, developing, vpn-ing, etc... with various resources plan) without wasting money in meantime is this main difference I think.

Agree :)

• @Amitz said: I just wondered whether I missed some great detail about DO that you could educate me about.

1. snapshot and backups are free
    2. create as many servers as you want and you will only be charged by how many hours the server was live.. you can take a snapshot before you delete the sever and can bring the server back online anytime.
    3. unmetered bandwidth
  • wdqwdq Member

Their API supports powering on/off which will be great for my VPN. I can setup a script that will shut it down when I go to sleep and turn it back on when I wake up every day.

https://www.digitalocean.com/api

• gubbytegubbyte Member
    edited January 2013

@wdq said: Their API supports powering on/off which will be great for my VPN. I can setup a script that will shut it down when I go to sleep and turn it back on when I wake up every day.

You still get charged for the droplet even if it is shut down.

• earlearl Member
    edited January 2013

@wdq said: I can setup a script that will shut it down when I go to sleep and turn it back on when I wake up every day.

You will still be charged if you only power off the server, since they need to reserve the resources for you. In order for you to not be billed you have to destroy the server completely, but you can take a snapshot of the server prior to deleting it and this would be free.

• I just deleted my server, I think it's pretty awesome that my 512mb server was up for 8 hours and I was only charged 6 cents!

• I think this is the perfect remedy for CVD (Compulsive VPS Disorder).

• IshaqIshaq Member
    edited January 2013

@Amitz said: I just wondered whether I missed some great detail about DO that you could educate me about.

The locations they have (especially NL) are cheaper than most LEB hosts. Plus you forget KVM, and unlimited bandwidth.

• @Dragoon0309 said: I'm getting a huge space plan for like 50 cents an hour, backing up my dedicated server and then backing up the droplet and destroying it. it'll cost $2, and i'll have a backup permanently that if i ever need i'll just reopen the droplet :)

Didn't even realize that the saved droplets are basically free of charge. An excellent idea, thank you very much!

• I admit: I have understood what makes this offer different in the meantime. So simply scratch my posts before. I was indeed comparing apples with oranges.

• serverbearserverbear Member
    edited January 2013

From my observations (by tracking the numbers on the homepage, note this is launched not live instances) they've literally deployed 2000+ of instances in the last 24 hours. I wonder how they are building nodes fast enough to cope with the demand.

• BK_BK_ Member

@serverbear said: From my observations (by tracking the numbers on the homepage, note this is launched not live instances) they've literally deployed 2000+ of instances in the last 24 hours. I wonder how they are building nodes fast enough to cope with the demand.

They must have cut it close with the amount of nodes they already had prepared for the forecasted demand, that's for darn sure :P

• @serverbear - They are running dual hexa core E5 nodes with 256GB RAM (each) and large 512GB SSD drives. They more than likely got an infusion of capital so it's not out of the question that they have at least 30~40 or more in their NY data center. I assume that their strategy is mass sales. I can see allot of Linode customers jumping ship. Lucky for the rest of us that customers need more than low cost hosting, so there is still money to be made in providing managed support.

• BK_BK_ Member

@marcm said: They are running dual hexa core E5 nodes with 256GB RAM (each) and large 512GB SSD

I was wondering... Thanks!

• DylanDylan Member
    edited January 2013

Another differentiator -- are there any LEB providers with a 99.99% uptime SLA? I know some do have that sort of uptime, but the highest guarantee I've seen is 99.9%. For businesses, especially, that can be a notable difference (43 minutes of allowed downtime/month vs 4 minutes).