Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DigitalOcean now offers double the memory and SSD on all plans :D - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DigitalOcean now offers double the memory and SSD on all plans :D

Comments

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited January 2013

@ztec said: and my connection is just a couple of KM away from Amsterdam but my average ping is 102ms

Check it again. My choice was Amsterdam too but vps was provided in NY. I think that it has to do something with 3-hours trial/limitation. If that's the case made a snapshot of your vps (to save your time with new setup), delete instance and create new one on proper location from your snapshot image. (only IP and root password will change)
    Or you don't even delete old instace yet - it will cost you only few cents to keep few hours/days longer.

• @Spirit said: Check it again. My choice was Amsterdam too but vps was provided in NY. I think that it has to do something with 3-hours trial/limitation. If that's the case made a snapshot of your vps (to save your time with new setup), delete instance and create new one on proper location from your snapshot image. (only IP and root password will change)

Or you don't even delete old instace yet - it will cost you only few cents to keep few hours/days longer.

This is probably it yea, I will try this and let you know how it turned out. Thanks!

• Anyone got their console access to work? mine seems to be stuck in "Checking VNC Connection.." I tried a couple of times still same thing

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Try it in Chrome

• earlearl Member
    edited January 2013

@shovenose said: Try it in Chrome

Still does not work.. it's actually worst now cause it Failed to establish a connection to the console.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

hmmm...
    it used to be it would work in Chrome but not FF or IE.

• @shovenose said: it used to be it would work in Chrome but not FF or IE.

I think their system must be bogged down by all the new sign up's from LET.. Serverbears coupon makes this an awesome deal

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited January 2013

It didn't work for me yesterday either but I didn't bother much as I thought that it's java related which I don't have installed.

• @Spirit said: It didn't work for me yesterday either but I didn't bother much as I thought that it's java related which I don't have installed.

You sure keep to your Spirit!

Haha!

That was a joke that didn't really make sense nor was it really funny.

I have failed you all.

I'll show myself out.

• @HalfEatenPie "ha ha" :)

(did it work? :p )

• @Spirit said: It didn't work for me yesterday either but I didn't bother much as I thought that it's java related which I don't have installed.

It's a HTML5 console thingy afaik

• @Spirit said: (did it work? :p )

Yes. My half baked plan is working.

• @kamalnasser said: It's a HTML5 console thingy afaik

Sorcery!

• earlearl Member
    edited January 2013

@shovenose

Hey it does seem to be working on Chrome now.. not sure why it won't work on FF or IE

• I'm getting a huge space plan for like 50 cents an hour, backing up my dedicated server and then backing up the droplet and destroying it. it'll cost $2, and i'll have a backup permanently that if i ever need i'll just reopen the droplet :)

• @Dragoon0309 said: I'm getting a huge space plan for like 50 cents an hour, backing up my dedicated server and then backing up the droplet and destroying it. it'll cost $2, and i'll have a backup permanently that if i ever need i'll just reopen the droplet :)

Because using a droplet snapshot as backup is a great idea.

• @gubbyte

It's just another backup. I have others as well. It's my failsafe's failsafe.

• Damn, I've had DO for a few months, service was good. I was excited for the new plans, and noticed much increased performance. Now, they've gone over the top, and thousands of people are spinning up 5 months free worth of 512mb instances, and the performance feels like it is going to crap. I have a very laggy and slow SSH typing experience.

That was a bold move, (a stupid move with server bear coupon), and I hope they will recover and optimize the slow instances, and don't become another trash overselling provider.

• The main advantage Digital Ocean has is free storage for unused instances, but even then you need a credit balance to keep them, but that won't last forever as LEB freeloaders pile in. Pricewise a number of LEB providers are beginning to matching them even on 1Gb KVMs. They have an advantage with their 512Mbs as they are cheap enough to hold on to.

The other advantage is being able to spin up large memory VMs and pay only for the time they are up. For me that is where their true advantage lies but time will tell if they can maintain decent performance.

One area where OpenVZ providers have to be able to catch up is restoring and cloning OpenVZ instances. They suck when everything gets blown away when you reinstall the OS.

When it comes to KVM though DO are like OpenVZ because you are limited to the OSs they provide and can't partition the disks the way you want unless you use loop devices..

In short DO overcome the disadvantages of Xen and OpenVZ, but they are not yet a pure KVM play.

We look forward to the cloud offerings from Prometeus.

• As long as people do not abuse their services at a large scale, things will be fine. Although, I think it won't be long.

• jhjh Member

Are these guys reliable?

• @jhadley said: Are these guys reliable?

Why wouldn't they be?

• jhjh Member

@gubbyte said: Why wouldn't they be?

Because they're so cheap :)

• @jhadley said: Because they're so cheap :)

Their prices are, but they aren't ;)

• ...or, cleverly crafted plan to load test the system with LEB users?

• wdqwdq Member

Personally I set one of these up as a VPN server. I'm currently paying about $4/month for a 256MB KVM plan with 50GB of bandwidth. I figure the extra $1/month at $5/month is worth it for unlimited bandwidth and double the RAM. So far L2TP and OpenVPN-AS are working well on my VPS with them.

• I signed up as well and so far I am very impressed.

The server is very snappy and the network seems great. The backups and snapshots are a nice touch. The website is simple to use and has just about everything you need.

I also like the fact you can vote on what new features you would like to see.

• They do not offer enough included cores for me. Any SSD host here on LET/LEB has more to offer concerning this...

• @Amitz said: They do not offer enough included cores for me. Any SSD host here on LET/LEB has more to offer concerning this...

@jhadley or @Nick_A might be able to help you here

• What is the name of Jhadley? I'm interrested. I already got a server with Ramnode/Nick_A, But DO is in Amsterdam while Nick isn't.