Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DigitalOcean now offers double the memory and SSD on all plans :D - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DigitalOcean now offers double the memory and SSD on all plans :D

Comments

• fanfan Veteran

Just got one with SB's coupon, paid $5 with paypal and now I have a balance of $26, nice.

• Yeah, I needed another VPS like a hole in the head... :(

• @Jack said: I have

Are you able to create droplets? I don't see a deposit there.

• cosmicgatecosmicgate Member
    edited January 2013

@jack: I just emailed support and they credited me immediately. I'm very surprised at the ticket respond time though, it almost looks like there is a autobot replying 24x7.

Anyone know how is this vps charged? By the bandwidth or hour or what? I don't have a use for it yet, so i was thinking about just destroying what i have created and leave it there until i find a use for it.

• BK_BK_ Member

If they didn't refuse to provide additional IP's for a fee this would definitely replace a couple vps', haha.

• CrabCrab Member
    edited January 2013

The offer was too tempting with $20 ServerBear credit, I had to grab one droplet :)

wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash

CPU model : QEMU Virtual CPU version 1.0
    Number of cores : 1
    CPU frequency : 1999.998 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 996 MB
    Total amount of swap : 0 MB
    System uptime : 14 min,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 25.6MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Atlanta GA: 8.84MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Dallas, TX: 2.86MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 1.83MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, London, UK: 3.13MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 2.04MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 1.61MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 775KB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 6.06MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 13.3MB/s
    I/O speed : 361 MB/s

• So do you have to make a paypal payment or not? Can you use both promos and if so how?

• I made it with a regular credit card. You can enter the promo code when activating your account.

• gubbytegubbyte Member
    edited January 2013

@AuroraZ said: So do you have to make a paypal payment or not? Can you use both promos and if so how?

As far as I am aware, you have to either add a credit card or make a PayPal deposit but make sure to redeem the coupon first, to even create a server.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

So you guys are telling me you'd be happy with SSD speed under 400MB/s? I need to stop putting so much into my hardware then :/

• @Nick_A Don't worry, I have 4x Ramnode too :)

• hmm

It would be fun to have a 96GB RAM droplet for at least 10 hours :)

• BK_BK_ Member

Signed up using the ServerBear coupon w/credit card. Account credit was instant.

@Nick_A said: So you guys are telling me you'd be happy with SSD speed under 400MB/s? I need to stop putting so much into my hardware then :/

{Offtopic} Just grabbed up a yearly from you last week and I'm impressed - keep it up! :)

• Interestingly I get 700kB/s from Ramnode, but 11.3MB/s from OVH Canada.

• How are their bandwidth now? I hear before its not that good

• gubbytegubbyte Member
    edited January 2013

@jcaleb said: How are their bandwidth now? I hear before its not that good

Free unmetered, both ways
    https://www.digitalocean.com/pricing

Q: Do you charge for bandwidth?
    A: No. There are no charges for in-bound or out-bound bandwidth.

Q: Do you limit bandwidth?
    A: No we do not limit monthly bandwidth in anyway. We allow you to fully utilize the network and burst traffic without limits.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@jcaleb said: How are their bandwidth now? I hear before its not that good

You can see for yourself in the bench.sh result posted above. And yeah despite gigabit I never saw more than 150-200 Mbit there; but for the price and being unmetered, can't complain.

• If I simply "power off" my droplet, do they still charge me? Or do I have to destroy the droplet?

• gubbytegubbyte Member
    edited January 2013

@seraphkz said: If I simply "power off" my droplet, do they still charge me? Or do I have to destroy the droplet?

They still charge you for powered off droplets. You can save a snapshot, destroy the droplet, and create a droplet from the snapshot later on though.

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited January 2013

Thanks. 150-200 unmetered is great. I thought I read before that it was so slow.

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited January 2013

I added the code via PayPal, but I did not deposit 5$. I received the email saying 20$ was credited. But I cant seem to find how to order a service.

• @jcaleb said: I added the code via PayPal, but I did not deposit 5$. I received the email saying 20$ was credited. But I cant seem to find how to order a service.

You can't create a non-trial droplet while you're still on their "trial", which you get out of by depositing or adding a credit card.

• Thank you @gubbyte, Deposited 5$ and I can create now

• Is the $5 for 512 time limited or will it expire in the future and revert to 256mb?

• @jcaleb said: Is the $5 for 512 time limited or will it expire in the future and revert to 256mb?

It doesn't say anywhere it's a limited promotion of sorts; it's probably a permanent upgrade

• @gubbyte said: It doesn't say anywhere it's a limited promotion of sorts; it's probably a permanent upgrade

Thanks. I am thinking not to order yet until the moment I need it =)

• Does anyone got good experience with Digital Ocean? This offer looks really nice.

• gubbytegubbyte Member
    edited January 2013

@taronyu said: Does anyone got good experience with Digital Ocean? This offer looks really nice.

Yes, I haven't had any issues during my time with them. Support is quite fast, too.

• @gqserv said: the code SSDBEAR20 worked , you will need to add a found of $5 dollars in order to use the credit.

I just added my (prepaid) CC and didn't have to pay anything. They credit your CC for 1.23 dollars but refund that shortly after. Just to check if it's a real CC.

I'm liking DigitalOcean so far! They have a real niche here in the Netherlands. I don't know any other LEBs with SSDs in The Netherlands.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@Freek said: They credit your CC for 1.23 dollars but refund that shortly after.

"to credit" is to add money.
    to remove money is "charge".