Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RAM VS CPU
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RAM VS CPU

dosserverscadosserversca Member
edited January 2013 in General

Hello,

im intersted in what more important for people
more ram and less cpu
or
more cpu less ram?

Comments

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited January 2013

I don't think you'll have a definite answer. There are all sorts of use cases and they all vary. This is why there are different plans.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

For a VPS a decent CPU even 1 core is fine and a fair allocation of RAM, if you need dedicated cores you should probably be looking at a dedicated server anyway.

my 2c

• I use more ram that cpu but always im insuring that my disk performances are ok.

• @ AnthonySmith

hmm well u can find vps with 2 and 4 cores, you dont have to take dedicated server

• @dosserversca said: hmm well u can find vps with 2 and 4 cores, you dont have to take dedicated server

However, you still share theses cores with the other VPS on the node.

• @japon

not always,
    if u use OpenVZ and the server have 8 cores and u put 8 VPS then this like dedicated
    if u use Xen or KVM u get dedicated cores

but again we going to another point lets back to the thaerd point
    i want to know if users need more cpu or more ram

• @dosserversca said: if u use Xen or KVM u get dedicated cores

That's not necessarily true either.

• RAM

• @dosserversca said: i want to know if users need more cpu or more ram

this really isn't a black and white question, every application scenario will be different.

• budingyunbudingyun Member
    edited January 2013

For me at least 1 VCPU for every 256MB of RAM.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@dosserversca said: if u use OpenVZ and the server have 8 cores and u put 8 VPS then this like dedicated

Yes fair enough that is very true, but if you find a host on a $7 budget that will give you a honest to dog, truly dedicated unrestricted core with your VPS as part of a standard plan then either you should sue for false advertising or take their arm off for it :)

I offer Xen hosting, cores are equal share, KVM is no different 9/10

• @AnthonySmith
    well i also offer vps but i have 2 diffrent options budget vps that its not 100% 1 core its around 50-75%
    and also offer normal vps packges ther every core are 100% not shared

• @dosserversca said: offer normal vps packges ther every core are 100% not shared

I think many of us, providers included, would love to know how much you charge for the normal VPS packages with dedicated cores.

• japonjapon Member
    edited January 2013

@dosserversca said: also offer normal vps packges ther every core are 100% not shared

So you normally just put 4-8 VPS on a dedicated server?

• @Kenshin
    You can go to my website that i offer normal vps packages here: http://entervps.com/
    and budget vps i offer on http://betavps.net/
    @japon
    Yep on normal packages

• So for the standard VPS 4, you put 1 customers in 1 server, or 2 customers? E3-1230 is a 4 core 8 thread CPU, so based on your dedicated core allocation, I should get a full dedicated server when I buy the standard VPS 4.

• @Kenshin
    i put 2 clients on plan 4 every one get 4 cores (as the server has HT)

• @dosserversca said: plan 4 every one get 4 cores (as the server has HT)

This is already false advertisement. There isn't 4 cores. There are 4 cores and 8 threads as mentioned by Kenshin.

• @dosserversca said: i put 2 clients on plan 4 every one get 4 cores (as the server has HT)

So if I 100% saturate my 4 cores, it wouldn't be a problem?

• @concerto49
    you are right can u suggest me how to write in on the website?
    i dont want confuse clients

• Are you aware that HT creates virtual cores not real cores, and if client A runs 4 cores at 100% 24/7, client B has no cores left because HT uses the left-over cycles of the 4 cores, since most processes never make use of 100% of a clock cycle. At 100% usage x4 cores, there's no cycles left.

• @seraphkz
    Yes
    @Kenshin
    Yes but can u give me example of what client can usee 4 cores 100%? u can read in our TOS we dont allow iligal things

• @Kenshin said: and if client A runs 4 cores at 100% 24/7, client B has no cores left because HT uses the left-over cycles of the 4 cores

That's not entirely correct.

There are two threads. The CPU core actually has two blocks of processing units, except for things like cache / memory and a few other components.

If the processes don't share memory etc it CAN actually execute on the same core at the same time as though it's two cores.

My explanation isn't 100% correct as I forget the exact technical details, but this is what hyper-threading is. There is actually duplicated hardware, just not a full core.

• Ok everyone please come back to the poit of this post

• japonjapon Member
    edited January 2013

@dosserversca said: Ok everyone please come back to the poit of this post

If you advertise a specific amount of "dedicated" cores to customers then they'll most likely be important for them as they might rely on that. Same goes for the RAM.

@dosserversca said: i put 2 clients on plan 4 every one get 4 cores (as the server has HT)

But I doubt very much, that you just put two clients on that E3-1230 (8GB RAM, 400GB Disk, 8 IPs, 60Mb/s unmetered) when those two clients can only generate $50 in total. That means that the server must not cost you more than $50, reduced by the price for processing the payment, without having any income from it. Very unlikely.

• @concerto49 said: My explanation isn't 100% correct as I forget the exact technical details, but this is what hyper-threading is. There is actually duplicated hardware, just not a full core.

Just refreshed my memory, you're right there's two registers so it appears to the OS as 2 separate cores, but everything else isn't duplicated. Both can execute in parallel as long as they use different parts of the execution core, or if one thread is stalled the other can step in to make use of the cpu cycle. Guess after 10 years since the launch of HT I pretty much only remembered the layman theory.

@dosserversca said: Yes but can u give me example of what client can usee 4 cores 100%? u can read in our TOS we dont allow iligal things

Bitcoin mining, folding. Both perfectly legal, and guaranteed to murder the CPU.

@dosserversca said: Ok everyone please come back to the poit of this post

Welcome to LET, the place where we'll always go off topic once we see something interesting, in your case, the core issue.

• @japon
    the server has E3-1230 (16GB RAM, 2X1TB Disk, 14 IPs, 100Mb/s unmetered)

• @dosserversca said: we dont allow iligal things

I can't help but laugh when I read this alongside the name of your company.

• @dosserversca said: the server has E3-1230 (16GB RAM, 2X1TB Disk, 14 IPs, 100Mb/s unmetered)

Which means if you want to sell dedicated cores, you should just sell 1 Core, 3.5GB RAM, 400GB HDD, 3 IPs, 25mbps unmetered. Price it well and you should be able to sell and make a profit at the same time.

• @gubbyte said: I can't help but laugh when I read this alongside the name of your company.

Relax man, he can be referring to the good ole MS-DOS. :)