Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are there any providers (non LE as well) who provide education discounts?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Are there any providers (non LE as well) who provide education discounts?

dailydaily Member
edited January 2016 in General

I know that GitHub provides a large amount of things, including enough credit to have the $5 for 10 months on Digital Ocean, but I sent in my request and it has been about a month with no update. I imagine with the low end market being what it is, there is little to no incentive to provide such things. Education discount meaning verification of an .edu address.

Comments

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited January 2016

dreamspark

Though microsoft doesn't really understand/want people to download things. The whole "secure downloader" on some of their software shares is awful.

Why can't you just let people torrent or wget things?

Windows 10 download is another example of their "strict tracking" policies. It's strange they didn't want me to register/log in to download windows 10 malware.

• dccdcc Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2016

To be honest, if anything, VPS providers should charge more for such services, as there is generally much more abuse coming through these accounts. When a school or university is buying the services - usually no one is responsible so no one cares. When account is hacked - no one will stop the abuse. When a student is buying the service - expect DoS/spoofing attempts/mining/hacking or other educational stuff.

I am not saying everyone is like that, but there is definitely a strong correlation.

• @dcc said:
    To be honest, if anything, VPS providers should charge more for such services, as there is generally much more abuse coming through these accounts. When a school or university is buying the services - usually no one is responsible so no one cares. When account is hacked - no one will stop the abuse. When a student is buying the service - expect DoS/spoofing attempts/mining/hacking or other educational stuff.

I am not saying everyone is like that, but there is definitely a strong correlation.

I think you're looking at it from the wrong angle. Many uses for these (including my own) will be simply for code testing. Now take me at my word or not, but I have no intentions to do anything abusive or wrong. I think you alienate a lot of people when you have that mindset personally. Charging more makes no sense, don't even know where you came up with that.

Thanked by 1pylode
  • @dcc said:

My favorite is when people ask if spoofing is allowed on your network because of a "school project"

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • i83i83 Member
    edited January 2016

Do you mean you want a "sponsorship" discount e.g. free credit allotment?

If your just looking for value then there is a whole offers section on this website alone of affordable VPS (NAT Packages, LES etc.) many of which you don't need to apply for discounts on.

GM2015 said: dreamspark

+1, so many students don't make the most of them while they have the chance (depending what work they want to move to).

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Discounts I haven't seen but if you're desperate: http://freevps.us

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited January 2016

Well as an adult(I mean due to lack of time) it's really hard to learn all that microsoft crap. When I used windows before my linux time, trivial dumb shit was all I did on my windows laptop.

Since last year, I learned a whole lot about linux, webapplications and such and don't really want to start all that again with microsoft services/software/database and such.

Especially when you can get most of your things done with linux.

Surely, people working with backwards corporations have to deal with windows, but I don't work in such an environment. I just wish the old business executives would retire and more would use/adopt linux.

i83 said: +1, so many students don't make the most of them while they have the chance (depending what work they want to move to).

• @raindog308 said:
    Discounts I haven't seen but if you're desperate: http://freevps.us

Desperate, not at all. Simply a question.

• Give me some entertainment or a valid reason and I'll give you a VPS

• digital ocean? free 2 years almost for the lowest 512m pakage

• @colingpt said:
    digital ocean? free 2 years almost for the lowest 512m pakage

They reduced the $100 credit to $50 now. But I think I might have a coupon that I got from github but I can't use it since I already have an existing account. I can share it with someone if it's allowed @jarland. Please do not PM me or mention me until jarland says it's okay to share the code.

• @TheOnlyDK said:
    They reduced the $100 credit to $50 now. But I think I might have a coupon that I got from github but I can't use it since I already have an existing account. I can share it with someone if it's allowed jarland. Please do not PM me or mention me until jarland says it's okay to share the code.

lol pls consider me! as I come first if possible XD

btw, jarland will not decide how you handle your stuff dude...

• @colingpt said:
    btw, jarland will not decide how you handle your stuff dude...

It could be Digital Ocean rules that does not allow transfer of codes.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@TheOnlyDK said:
    They reduced the $100 credit to $50 now. But I think I might have a coupon that I got from github but I can't use it since I already have an existing account. I can share it with someone if it's allowed jarland. Please do not PM me or mention me until jarland says it's okay to share the code.

I would discourage giving or selling these but would instead encourage anyone to sign up with GitHub and grab one for themselves :)

Thanked by 1TheOnlyDK
  • Yeah, if only your guys employed some fat fingered blokes who actually mistyped a few "0"-s after the credits.

jarland said: I would discourage giving or selling these but would instead encourage anyone to sign up with GitHub and grab one for themselves :)

• colingptcolingpt Member
    edited January 2016

@jarland said:
    I would discourage giving or selling these but would instead encourage anyone to sign up with GitHub and grab one for themselves :)

sadly to see that. Not all student can apply for that by themselves, because github look like don't accept .edu.cn email which is given by my university.

I am a student and here is a spare code which may not be used as he can not use for himself for some reasons. Then, it is just going to be wasted... :-(