Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking to share dedicated server with someone
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking to share dedicated server with someone

camjac251camjac251 Member
edited January 2016 in General

I am interested in getting a dedi from either ReliableSite or WholeSaleInternet but will only use 30% of the processing power of the server. I'd be interested in splitting it with someone through KVM VPSes.

I am looking at either getting the

(according to their ad)
Intel E3-1220
32GB RAM
240GB SSD
1Gbit port with 20TB Transfer
Linux OS - Windows available
5 Usable IPv4 IP Address
/64 IPv6 Address Block
$42 per month (which we'd split the costs of) from WholeSale

or

Intel Xeon E3 1245v2
16GB ram
250GB HDD
1gbit port 10TB BW
5 IPs
Linux/Windows OS
for $60 a month from ReliableSite.

I'd be running a game server or 2 with my share. If anyone is interested in sharing it, please PM me or reply below

Thanked by 1RIYAD

Comments

• Pff, a dedicated server is a dedicated server. KVM VPS for ~$30/month is not worth, and neither is that tiny 240GB SSD.

• @FlamesRunner said:
    Pff, a dedicated server is a dedicated server. KVM VPS for ~$30/month is not worth, and neither is that tiny 240GB SSD.

Not even if you'd get 16GB of ram and 2 full usable cores?

• @FlamesRunner said:
    Pff, a dedicated server is a dedicated server. KVM VPS for ~$30/month is not worth, and neither is that tiny 240GB SSD.

I can't tell if you're joking or not. If you find a trusted partner to split a dedi with, getting 2 dedicated E3-1245v2 cores (4 threads), dedicated 8GB RAM can be well worth $30. Of course, the question is finding this trusted person to split resources with. Assuming you find one though, it's a great deal if you want to be sure you have dedicated resources. (We all know that any low-end host that "doesn't oversell" still oversells a little bit)

• FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited January 2016

--> "Duh, I'm clearly joking" <--

I'd like 2 orders of incinerated money, and a side of frozen PayPal accounts :)

I guess it could be worth it, but it would be a matter of trust like you said (X snoops in Y's VPS, etc)

• edited January 2016

If you add 10 bucks to your budget, you can get

XEON E3-1270 (2 cores)

>

8G RAM

>

500G SATA

See https://budgetvm.com/cloud-server-hosting.php

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • I might just setup Tcadmin on it and offer gameservers to people. Anyone interested in this idea?

• @camjac251 said:
    I might just setup Tcadmin on it and offer gameservers to people. Anyone interested in this idea?

I would find a friend/someone you know in person. Not worth trying to share with some random guy on the internet to save $30/month.

• Get the cloud server from BudgetVM.

"Sharing" a server is like sharing a car with a sibling- it just won't work.

• camjac251camjac251 Member
    edited January 2016

@ALinuxNinja said:

@doughmanes said:
    Get the cloud server from BudgetVM.

I need something with ddos mitigation

• edited January 2016

@camjac251 said:

Read the offer page.

And yes, it is expensive.

DDOS protection is expensive in general, excluding OVH (whose ddos protection is crap..), Psychz, and others

Server is in LA, so if you're bothered by the high costing DDOS protection, find a Psychz provider who is in LA and do a GRE or other tunnel.

If you want OVH's crappy protection, add on another 2 bucks and go with soyoustart. Note that it is only in europe, BHS datacenter will cost even more. If your using Windows, throw some more money at OVH or use joodle's template.

If your using Linux, and want gobs of ram, use https://www.ovh.com/us/cloud/instances/

• @ALinuxNinja said:
    If you want OVH's crappy protection, add on another 2 bucks and go with soyoustart. Note that it is only in europe, BHS datacenter will cost even more. If your using Windows, throw some more money at OVH or use joodle's template

WholeSaleInternet offers 2gbps and ReliableSite offers 10gbps ddos mitigation.

• edited January 2016

@camjac251 said:
    WholeSaleInternet offers 2gbps and ReliableSite offers 10gbps ddos mitigation.

< sarcasm >

That must be why the entire WholeSaleInternet goes down every few months.

</ sarcasm >

That being said, you get what you pay for. DDOS protection is not a one solution fits all thing and requires work, tuning, and response by the DC to ensure things keep running. You buy cheap ddos protection, your likely going to get crap ddos migitation.

• RioRey

We've all seen how well that works.

Thanked by 1PrincessOfCats
  • pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@camjac251 said:
    I am interested in getting a dedi from either ReliableSite or WholeSaleInternet but will only use 30% of the processing power of the server. I'd be interested in splitting it with someone through KVM VPSes.

I am looking at either getting the

(according to their ad)
    Intel E3-1220
    32GB RAM
    240GB SSD
    1Gbit port with 20TB Transfer
    Linux OS - Windows available
    5 Usable IPv4 IP Address
    /64 IPv6 Address Block
    $42 per month (which we'd split the costs of) from WholeSale

or

Intel Xeon E3 1245v2
    16GB ram
    250GB HDD
    1gbit port 10TB BW
    5 IPs
    Linux/Windows OS
    for $60 a month from ReliableSite.

I'd be running a game server or 2 with my share. If anyone is interested in sharing it, please PM me or reply below

If your looking to share, check the link in my sig.

• @pbgben said:
    If your looking to share, check the link in my sig.

sent you a pm.