Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online.net packet loss
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online.net packet loss

hawchawc Moderator, LIR
edited January 2016 in General

Hi all,
A few people in the Online.net IRC are currently reporting packet loss. Just wondering if anyone else is seeing the same right about now? If so, please open a ticket so they have more evidence to take a look. I am seeing well over 20% loss on my box.

Edit: Seems to be outbound loss the most

Thanks
Harry.

Comments

• You can get tons of MTRs from many locations at ping.pe

Thanked by 1Shade
  • MTR to your server and MTR from your server will show this

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

I have done that, and mailed support with it. I was wondering if anyone else was seeing the same.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

No Packetloss at my Kidichre.

• Maybe your server's around mine?

ifconfig
    eth0 
              RX bytes:86983861289506 (79.1 TiB)  TX bytes:533645888045 (496.9 GiB)
              Interrupt:28

uptime
     14:04:42 up 28 days,  3:20,  2 users,  load average: 1.08, 1.15, 1.08

Thanked by 1GCat
  • JWU42JWU42 Member
    edited January 2016

No packet loss from server to home but seeing packet loss from home to server occurring in New York.

EDIT - no issues from delimiter (ATL) to online.net in either direction.

• JWU42 said: No packet loss from server to home but seeing packet loss from home to server occurring in New York.

One hop or from New York to the complete end? If it's one hop, it means the traffic is being deprioritized

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited January 2016

according to http://ping.pe, I get 19% packet loss from Romania. 1% from Litvania, others are all with 0% loss.

• @doughmanes - two specific hops ...

9. if-26-2.tcore2.NTO-New-York.as6453.net 77.3% 22 122.8 118.4 115.1 122.8 3.6
    11. if-1-3.thar1.NJY-Newark.as6453.net 55.2% 30 115.9 118.6 112.2 130.8 5.4

• @GM2015 said:
    Maybe your server's around mine?

> ifconfig
    > eth0 
    >           RX bytes:86983861289506 (79.1 TiB)  TX bytes:533645888045 (496.9 GiB)
    >           Interrupt:28
    > 
    > uptime
    >  14:04:42 up 28 days,  3:20,  2 users,  load average: 1.08, 1.15, 1.08
    > 

Could also be around one of mine, one of mine has pushed over 80 TB

• Yeah, I'm just curling a 1000GB file to /dev/null every 3 hours. I looked at the logs and it took about 2:45 hours to curl 1000GB.

I'm sure online.net and the target host appreciates the traffic.

GCat said: Could also be around one of mine, one of mine has pushed over 80 TB

Thanked by 1GCat

It seemed to drop for a few minutes, and now we are back at to 40 % loss. Great. Glad I cancelled this box

• Rock stable for me ;)

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • GCatGCat Member
    edited January 2016

@GM2015 past 24 hours:

RX bytes:737269973540 (686.6 GiB)

TX bytes:20199455301031 (18.3 TiB)

Welp, I had a phone call from support which went like this "Its not our problem". Yay! Glad I have this box cancelled. They wont accept responsibility for packet loss in their own network...

• doughmanesdoughmanes Member
    edited January 2016

JWU42 said: two specific hops ...

"Packet loss" would be that hop and all the way to your server with continuous packet loss.

AS6453 = HE

• hawc said: They wont accept responsibility for packet loss in their own network...

You sadly don't understand what packet loss is even when I've explained it.

Thanked by 1ManofServer
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

GM2015 said: Yeah, I'm just curling a 1000GB file to /dev/null every 3 hours. I looked at the logs and it took about 2:45 hours to curl 1000GB.

I'm sure online.net and the target host appreciates the traffic.

Why? I just don't get it. Why abusing that way?

Thanked by 2Darwin Amitz
  • @jarland can we get a Packet Loss 101 tutorial for LEB

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited January 2016

There are a lot of other uses for the kidechire.

Backup storage, the ftp(free 100GB) is used, mysql, nginx, php5-fpm, socks proxy, squid3 and openvpn.

So it's used and I want to see what traffic it can use in a month.

And the curl script hasn't been running all the time anyway.

netomx said:

Why? I just don't get it. Why abusing that way?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@doughmanes said:
    jarland can we get a Packet Loss 101 tutorial for LEB

Actually not a bad idea. So very often misunderstood.

• KrisKris Member
    edited January 2016

Unless it continues 'down the line' it means completely nothing. You are seeing routers de-prioritizing ICMP packets.

Next, perform a reverse MTR, in addition to the inbound path to actually get an idea of what's going on.

e.g:

mtr -r --report-wide -c50 IP_ADDR

Do this on both sides, source IP to server, server to source IP. Then you will have some useful information for support, and see if it's a false positive, or on their side. Working with CT and CU customers & explaining the nuances of congested peering and Mainland China on a daily basis, commonly had to explain the true source of congestion, on the reverse path, usually well within CT / CU.

Source : https://www.nanog.org/meetings/nanog45/presentations/Sunday/RAS_traceroute_N45.pdf

Thanked by 2doughmanes GCat
  • Trying to avoid a certain somebody doing a chargeback against Online like how he did to other providers. Granted, the response from Online probably wasn't great but 5+ minute MTRs confirm the "loss" at hops which is deprioritization with HE however if you run a MTR from a provider who connects to Cogent, there's no issue.

• @GM2015 @Traffic @GCat

anyone know who run the ping.pe? quite good site and I use it often, but I didn't see any ads or "about info" on it. curious about who is running it.

GM2015 said: So it's used and I want to see what traffic it can use in a month.

btw, good reason to do so as the bandwidth is shared by others, do share the result, so we don't need to do it everyone themselves each month. :P

• colingpt said: anyone know who run the ping.pe? quite good site and I use it often, but I didn't see any ads or "about info" on it. curious about who is running it.

>

I want to say IT7 / BandwagonHost owner, I think I've seen it in his signature.

Quite a brilliant site. I use Pulse Turbobytes myself. 100 locations instant MTR.

Thanked by 2colingpt doughmanes
  • Kris said: I want to say IT7 / BandwagonHost owner, I think I've seen it in his signature.

Yeah, @dcc runs it.

Thanked by 3Kris netomx vimalware
  • I was getting these last month, but things seems to have gotten fine now .

What i have observed is , this is mostly happening with extremely busy servers of mine .

• Did a MTR test for you - 0% packet loss.

• I ran 3 tests for the folks new to understanding packet loss: Comcast (uses HE) = showed "loss" in the hops but not 'true packet loss', OVH (Telia) = no loss, low end provider using Cogent = no loss.

Thanked by 1ManofServer
  • Ishaq said: Yeah, @dcc runs it.

Awesome, as everything else he runs.

Thanked by 1netomx