Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CoinBase says I can't upload a "watermarked" ID. Your thoughts?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CoinBase says I can't upload a "watermarked" ID. Your thoughts?

doughmanesdoughmanes Member
edited January 2016 in General

Subject pretty much sums it up.

CoinBase asked for my driver's license for ID verification purposes. I thought this was a reasonable request as this deals with financial type stuff, with the service being located in the US, so with others on here stating to 'watermark' their information with who they are submitting it to I was told by a support member that this is unacceptable.

I referenced some URLs to security incidents of similar companies in my response and asked for reconsideration from my point of view. I will keep you guys updated with the progress (it took them 48 hours to tell me this is unacceptable)

Their past issues:
http://www.pymnts.com/news/2015/coinbase-hacked-via-sendgrid/

Unwatermarked ID request
  1. What would you do?89 votes
    1. Submit it, it's their rules
        4.49%
    2. Don't submit it
      51.69%
    3. Oh hell nawwwwww
      43.82%

Comments

• Seems dodgy.

• I would not submit the copy of the document. This seems fishy.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

It really is hard to say without context but if there is a very good reason they won't accept watermarks they should be able to give you a very good explanation.

• doughmanesdoughmanes Member
    edited January 2016

I'm waiting for their response after I cited some security incidents of other similar companies.

It's financial related. I'm sure some people on here use the service. I'll air them out once my support tickets have ran it's course. They're definitely no stranger to security incidents with one as recent as last April.

• The "watermarked" part is over my signature. I figured at minimum if my ID ended up traded on some blackhat forums, they wouldn't have a copy of my signature as I placed the watermark over it.

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • if its a US based financial institution and your watermarked ID appeared elsewhere on the web im sure there are plenty of govt agencies that would investigate.

• doughmanes said: The "watermarked" part is over my signature. I figured at minimum if my ID ended up traded on some blackhat forums, they wouldn't have a copy of my signature as I placed the watermark over it.

>

You're probably best putting one over your picture lightly too. I'd ask if there was another way you could confirm your identity, perhaps with a utility bill addressed to you?

• Nah, all the NSA is doing right now is spreading propaganda :p

Yeah, the internet is a really huge place, good luck finding all occurrences of your ID :)

• jhjh Member
    edited January 2016

What service is it? If it's the type where it's unusual for them to ask for it then I'd just take my business elsewhere, like I did after a discussion with BuyVM's sales person, who couldn't grasp the normality of the concept of my work address being about one mile from my home address...

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited January 2016

doughmanes said: I thought this was a reasonable request as this deals with financial type stuff, with the service being located in the US

If it is financial in nature, they can just as easily pull a short credit report and prove your identity like that. I know I did the same when I requested a replacement certified birth certificate from Illinois a year or two ago. As long as they were able to verify me in that manner, they were cool with it, and as you may have guessed, I was requesting this to prove my ID to get an ID card in South Carolina since I did not have any valid ID at the time, still don't, but that is a story for another day.

All these places are stocking up on our vital details, and we all need to stand up and give a big FU to every last one of them.

• Do not ever, ever, submit a full ID on the internet without extremely good reason (applying for a bank account online etc.)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited January 2016

I've sent in an ID to digitalocean for my github pack and bluehost for verification(some parts removed). And paypal docs. Paypal loves documents.

I feel foolish.

0xdragon said: Do not ever, ever, submit a full ID on the internet without extremely good reason (applying for a bank account online etc.)

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

I tend to watermark the name of the company Im sending it to. You should be able to send as grey scale too.They only need the name and photo. Maybe DOB too.

• I watermark it in the centre of the photo, and right over my name but hardly visible on my name, never had an issue with providers though

• DamianDamian Member
    edited January 2016

I haven't actually figured out what the "submit your ID" thing is supposed to prove. For some reason, people like to just send in an ID or passport while ignoring our rules (we never ask for this), but, it's usually a scan of said ID or passport. The point of a photo ID is that you verify the photo on the document with the person presenting it. Great, you've scanned and sent in an ID you found lying on the street. Otherwise, you've just uselessly sent in your personal identification... or is it someone else's personal information!?!!? Who knows!?!?

• emgemg Veteran

@pbgben said:
    I tend to watermark the name of the company Im sending it to. You should be able to send as grey scale too.They only need the name and photo. Maybe DOB too.

If they accept a grey scale and afterwards they are hacked, what keeps the hacker from sending the same grey scale image when they want to use your identity?

If a business won't accept a watermarked image with their name on it (e.g. "For Example-Inc. Use ONLY"), then I would not want to deal with them either. That goes double if they have already experienced multiple security incidents.

• BradyHBradyH Member, Host Rep

I would mark out like DL number maybe leave last 2 showing. then mark out part of the address. If they wont take that then maybe look at a different provider.

• Thanked by 2ATHK netomx
  • Don't use watermark. Using a watermark == altering your ID photocopy, which turns out to be unacceptable.

Instead, get a small piece of paper, hand writing the purpose of your ID as if it's a watermark, then put it right on the ID, covering part of it but leaving your personal info clear. This way you are not altering the picture and it's properly protected.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@msg7086 said:
    Don't use watermark. Using a watermark == altering your ID photocopy, which turns out to be unacceptable.

Instead, get a small piece of paper, hand writing the purpose of your ID as if it's a watermark, then put it right on the ID, covering part of it but leaving your personal info clear. This way you are not altering the picture and it's properly protected.

This seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Thanked by 1Kris
  • And if they reject a covered photocopy, then that's fully their fault.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Some service providers use software to check if an image of an ID or credit card has been photoshopped and having a watermark will make the software return a positive result which means they can't accept it. If they deal with financial stuff like you say then they must have some audits in place and if they get audited by some oversight committee or government agency and they have an ID on file that was flagged positive as a photoshopped image then they're a lot of time and money that will go into the investigation (and trust me, auditors are extremely strict and if the answer is not a clear yes or no then there's a lot of time lost because of it).

Thanked by 2doughmanes doghouch
  • Yeah they have ID software when I uploaded it. Had to upload a front and back copy.

This is the software they use:
    https://www.jumio.com/netverify/

• msg7086 said: overing part of it but leaving your personal info clear.

I felt like the "XXX ID VERIFICATION" over the signature did this.

I guess the software needs to verify my signature but it looks like a drunk guy trying to draw snakes 99.9% of the time because the DMV didn't accept the 'male anatomy looking' signature I tried to run past them as a joke

• @doughmanes said:
    I guess the software needs to verify my signature but it looks like a drunk guy trying to draw snakes 99.9% of the time because the DMV didn't accept the 'male anatomy looking' signature I tried to run past them as a joke

Proof

Serious, I want to see this! :) Just draw it in paint, doesn't have to be exact :P

Thanked by 1doughmanes

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • Haha love you.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

doughmanes said: This is the software they use

That's pretty cool actually.

• Post updated- it was CoinBase and they're standing firm on the request.

http://www.pymnts.com/news/2015/coinbase-hacked-via-sendgrid/

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited January 2016

@doughmanes said:
    Post updated- it was CoinBase and they're standing firm on the request.

Then it makes sense. That software is what many other BTC business use (I think even some Bitcoin ATMs), and if you think about it, a bank won't accept an altered copy.

EDIT: I said bank as an example. These are usually registered as money transmitting / money services businesses at most.