Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Self-hosted server monitor
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Self-hosted server monitor

RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep
edited January 2013 in General

I want to dedicate a small VPS for monitoring, just basic monitoring, to power a website that will show a page with a list of servers that I have up. I know there are some scripts to do this, and I know that we've seen conversations about this before, but what are some good web-based self-hosted monitor scripts that I can use?

Comments

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited January 2013

http://www.lowendtalk.com/wiki/monitoringsoftware

LowEndTalk's Wikipedia has a decent list.

There's also:
    Centreon
    Cacti (mostly just for the graphs though)

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

@HalfEatenPie Thanks much my friend :)

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited January 2013

Not a problem. I'll be updating my post depending on what else I remember off the top of my head.

Oh I forgot, Nagios had a project fork itself. Its called Icinga. I haven't used it yet but I'm planning on testing it out sometime soon (its gotten great reviews on reddit apparently).

• Something like Observium?

• There was a thread we had going about different monitoring software that prompted that wiki.. You might want to search and see if you can find the thread as there were alot of really nice scripts listed.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited January 2013

We're using www.serverping.net in addition to Munin and Observium. It has quite a few issues, but it's alright. The original point was that we could sell monitoring to people from our cluster, but it's not good enough of a product to sell.

• We use Zabbix. We like it a lot.

• I would recommend Observium. We use it to monitor our servers, It's great

• I'm always a fan of smokeping.

• Currently using zabbix on most of my VPSes

• BK_BK_ Member

I was looking at http://codecanyon.net/item/wmon-web-server-monitor/490105 the other day, it's not free though - $16. If anyone gives it a shot, I'd love to know how well it works.

/firstpost

• @BK_ said: I'd love to know how well it works.

It's web server monitor. I am also interested in simple VPS uptime monitoring script similiar to uptimerobot (just uptime without graphs and all rest complexity..) however that's not the same as webserver monitoring. All our boxes don't have webserver.

• I have snmpd installed on every node and have a dedicated vps running cacti.
    It's quite easy to install & deploy with Ubuntu.

• ghostghost Member
    edited December 2013

HalfEatenPie said: Oh I forgot, Nagios had a project fork itself. Its called Icinga.

Nagios had clone with icinga & Shinken

HalfEatenPie said: There's also: Centreon Cacti (mostly just for the graphs though)

Centreon & nagiosql both front-end (WEB-UI) for nagios.
    Cacti mainly use for graphing since many monitor tools just show the status real-time.

ref:
    http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/6690/

• @ghost said:

Today must be thread necromancing day. Maybe we should ban that in the rules?

• ghostghost Member
    edited December 2013

This forum can't response for old threads?
    or my reply had no sense?
    or I should open a new thread to ref these old threads all?

• draziloxdrazilox Member
    edited December 2013

@ghost just dont.

• @ghost said:
    This forum can't response for old threads?
    or my reply had no sense?
    or I should open a new thread to ref these old threads all?

It's considered impolite to bump really old threads.

• We should have an auto lock feature.