Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NameCheap SSL promos "tricks"
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

NameCheap SSL promos "tricks"

GulfGulf Member
edited January 2016 in General

I bought an SSL during the BlackFriday :)
Now I cannot use it as an replacement for expired one (2 days ago).

We're sorry, a promotional SSL certificate received for free cannot be used to renew an expiring certificate.

I read their promotional terms and do not remember anything about that, but anyway, is it fair? I do not renew expiring certificate, I want to reissue a new certificate for old domain.

Comments

• AbdussamadAbdussamad Member
    edited January 2016

The promos are loss leaders. They make up the loss and then some on renewals. If you start using the promos for renewals then there is nothing in it for them. They are a business after all. Making a profit is their reason for existing.

If you want consistent low prices then go for gogetssl.com. It'll be higher than the promo at namecheap but cheaper than the renewal. And yes you can renew at a different provider than the original one you bought from. A renewal is a new cert anyway so its not much different than a first year purchase.

Thanked by 1Gulf
  • I've got an idea: Lets Encrypt.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • @GCat said:
    I've got an idea: Lets Encrypt.

Nice Idea ;)

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

@Gulf said:
    I bought an SSL during the BlackFriday :)
    Now I cannot use it as an replacement for expired one (2 days ago).

I read their promotional terms and do not remember anything about that, but anyway, is it fair? I do not renew expiring certificate, I want to reissue a new certificate for old domain.

Why not revoke the Old One ?? :P

• Because I'm gready. :P
    I bought a promo one for 99 cents.

@Gulf said:
    I bought a promo one for 99 cents.

Yes & that's why I'm saying so. Revoking means Going to Comodo's Live Chat & ask them to cancel your Existing (Previous One) SSL (issued previously) & activate the new One you bought on Promo !

Thanked by 1Gulf
  • Great! Have you tried it? What kind of information should I send them?

@Gulf said:
    Great! Have you tried it? What kind of information should I send them?

No, I haven't tried it. But, revoking is an option if you want. And Comodo's Lifechat remains online 24x7. Maybe, You have to tell them your Order Number (you should have got it in Email when you activated it through NameCheap). Else, Domain name will also work. And after finalizing revokation, NameCheap's SSL Activation will work.

• Why the fuck is your shift button randomly activating?

Thanked by 3mike0000 GCat GM2015
  • You can't renew certificates what issued with Namecheap previously, or can't renew any "active" Comodo certificate what issued for example with other reseller? I'm sorry, it's not clear for me.

• tomletomle Member, LIR
    edited January 2016

Always the same with the promo SSL certificates:

You receive a special $x.xx Comodo PositiveSSL Certificate. You cannot use this $x.xx PositiveSSL to renew another SSL certificate. You cannot activate this special $x.xx SSL for any domain name that has already been used for an SSL activation at Namecheap.

Thanked by 1titus
  • It's the same with their domain name transfer promos. You can't use it if you've already transferred the domain out of NameCheap previously. Nothing is free.

• gogetssl.com, apply for reseller account. SSL = $3.95

@MrObvious said:
    Why the fuck is your shift button randomly activating?

Did you ask me ??