Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com
Recommendations for hosted email provider?
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

Recommendations for hosted email provider?

NekkiNekki Moderator
edited January 2013 in General

I've been wanting to move away from using gmail for a bit now, so I'm looking for a hosted email service that I can use with one of my own domains - there are quite a few providers out there, so I guess I'm just looking for some recommendations from anyone who uses/has used a hosted email service.

I have considered trying to deploy my own solution, but to be blunt my skills aren't at a level that I'd trust myself to manage something as important as my email :-0

Here lies Nekki. He loved massive amounts of storage, K-Pop and calling people cunts.

Comments

• outlook.com

Serving you the best VPS, Web hosting, dedicated servers and more - Cloud Shards | Query Foundry
    We operate the network AS62638 | Available in Syd AU and Dallas, Los Angeles and NYC USA
  • jhjh Member

Atmail.com cloud could be an option, otherwise of course Outlook.com

• NekkiNekki Moderator

I had no idea Outlook could do anything with custom domains, thanks!

Here lies Nekki. He loved massive amounts of storage, K-Pop and calling people cunts.

• fanfan Member

I had no idea Outlook could do anything with custom domains, thanks!

domains.live.com

• Are you looking for free or paid solutions?

• @Nekki said: I've been wanting to move away from using gmail for a bit now

Why, I wonder?

Check my blog for more cool *nix tips & tricks!

• NekkiNekki Moderator

@klikli said: Are you looking for free or paid solutions?

Either, obviously free is better, but I'm prepared to pay to get what I want if necessary

@djvdorp said: Why, I wonder?

Privacy concerns.

• why not run your own mail server Nekki? We can help you get it setup. We can help you get openexchange or somethign setup.

• jarjar Provider

Rackspace e-mail hosting is quite nice.

MagicSpam blackmails providers into buying their software, and ServerHub is a professional spam organization.

• rskrsk Member, Provider

@Nekki said: Privacy concerns.

@Nekki I suggest what @24khost said. If its a privacy thing, outlook.com and gmail.com are both "others". Get your own tiny server and run your own mail server off of it, and use mozilla thunderbird or outlook for your emails.

Just my thought :P

• How about zoho mail? Most people used it nowadays..

"I Always Happy ! The Secret Is, When Something Bad Happens, I Always Yell : Eeee... Macarena !!" :D

• NekkiNekki Moderator

@24khost said: why not run your own mail server Nekki? We can help you get it setup. We can help you get openexchange or somethign setup.

I'm not comfortable enough in my abilities as a system administrator to manage and maintain a mail server - email is far too important to me to risk screwing it up due to my own lack of knowledge/negligence.

@jarland said: Rackspace e-mail hosting is quite nice.

I'd like to try Rackspace, I'm pretty comfortable with them as a provider as we use them at work for various hosting needs, but they don't do single accounts sadly.

@rsk said: If its a privacy thing, outlook.com and gmail.com are both "others".

I know what you mean, but I'm more comfortable with Microsoft's privacy policies than I am with Google's.

• Rackspace or outlook.

If you are looking for a mail server though, I can set you one up for free.

• tuxtux Member
    edited January 2013

Yandex (Яндекс)

• NekkiNekki Moderator

@curtisg said: If you are looking for a mail server though, I can set you one up for free.

I appreciate the offer, it's the ongoing maintenance that concerns me, which I why I opted for hosted.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'm going to try Outlook initially, then I'll check out some of the other hosted suggestions if that doesn't work out.

• You should check out fastmail.fm. You pay them quite a premium but the service is good.

• Rackspace or Codero

• Depending on your mail usage level rollernet.us might be a good deal. They charge for a chunk of space and incoming/outgoing mail volume but there is no limit on the number of mailboxes. Also the detailed level of mail handling options is nice.

• Unlimited domains too.

• japonjapon Member
    edited January 2013

Aside from the normal email provider, can anybody recommend a good MS hosted exchange provider that is not that expensive as rackspace? (Of course with limited ressources, I don't need that much that rackspace provides).

La parole nous a été donnée pour déguiser notre pensée.

• DeanDean Member
    edited January 2013

@japon - don't be scared by the name, but have you checked out GoDaddy? I've used them before for Exchange. Plus you can get better deals using their promo codes.

• Gandhi?

I'm Good!

• @tech163 said: maybe OVH

Didn't know that OVH offered hosted exchange. Nice!

• Google Apps. Scared of big bro?

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Provider

Google's privacy policies are bad. Great idea to move!
    Microsoft is an improvement, but why not just get a cheap dedicated server or VPS and get full control.
    It will be cheaper than an equivalent email hosting solution.

• ryanarpryanarp Member, Provider

I use Google Apps with one company, and I really like it, but I know it isn't for everyone. We do our own mail for right now at Catalyst. Looked at Rackspace mail and it looks like it has a lot of great potential as a replacement.

• @ryanarp said: Looked at Rackspace mail and it looks like it has a lot of great potential as a replacement.

We use it and it is FANTASTIC. I really do like it.

• We also use rackspace, have daily blasts for 2k+ users, and it seems fine.

dog lover

• @yowmamasita said: We also use rackspace, have daily blasts for 2k+ users, and it seems fine.

That violates their AUP/TOS. You can't send more than 200 emails with "like content". That is what their sales people told me when i signed up for their services.

Do you use rackspace exchange to send the emails, or their email newsletter service?

• namecheap.com has started emailhosting, looks good..

• NekkiNekki Moderator

@praveen said: namecheap.com has started emailhosting, looks good..

Their plans look to be very good value, but does anyone have personal experience of using them?

• caperailfancaperailfan Member
    edited January 2013

@Nekki I'm in a similar situation. I have tried namecheap.com's email hosting as they are my domain registrar. Within one hour I had already moved on to finding other solutions. They do not allow you to send mail out as any other address, just your [email protected] For example you can create an alias address for [email protected] to have mail delivered to [email protected] But you can not send email out as [email protected]

I have also tried Windows Live (Outlook.com) but the service does not seem to want to work with my domain. Support does not offer any solutions.

Rackspace bothers me because you must have at least 5 mailboxes. Thus you must spend at least $10 per month. At this point a VPS is cheaper.

I myself like the open source self-hosted Zimbra, but I cannot find a VPS under $10 per month to run it on.

I also like Smarter Mail from Smarter Tools. It runs on Windows making it difficult to find VPS solution within budget. I haven't found any good hosts for it.

I would like to set something up on my VPS, but I'm unsure of how exactly to do it.

I have tried Fastmail.fm but I have been able to determine that in the time I was using it I missed some messages. There was no reported downtime.

• Google Apps all day, every day.

• japonjapon Member
    edited January 2013

@gubbyte said: Google Apps all day, every day.

To each his own. ;-)

@praveen said: namecheap.com has started emailhosting, looks good..

And they provide MS Active Sync, which is quite nice. Didn't know that. That's a nice alternative to MS Hosted Exchange.

• @tech163 said: You should check out fastmail.fm. You pay them quite a premium but the service is good.

I agree with tech163. Awesome service. Supported by Opera

• I'm working on getting setup with Rackspace now.

• NekkiNekki Moderator

@caperailfan said: I'm working on getting setup with Rackspace now.

Have you found a reseller, or are you biting the bullet and setting up the minimum 5 accounts?

• @Nekki said: Have you found a reseller, or are you biting the bullet and setting up the minimum 5 accounts?

I have rackspace e-mail and im looking and im not seeing the option to add on more domains so maybe a reseller isnt possible.

• NekkiNekki Moderator

@Spencer said: I have rackspace e-mail and im looking and im not seeing the option to add on more domains so maybe a reseller isnt possible.

I've never been able to find a reseller, so I guess that makes sense...

• @caperailfan said: I myself like the open source self-hosted Zimbra, but I cannot find a VPS under $10 per month to run it on.

Does it have insane specs? Or just in terms of reliability?

• @jhadley said: Atmail.com cloud could be an option

Atmail has changed their licensing setup with their Atmail 7 release in the past fortnight (after I just bought a 500 seat license!!!), from first glance at the new structure you can go with a self-hosted solution for as little as $20 for the year with a single seat.

LowEndTalk has guidelines? | Follow LowEndNetwork on twitter & win!
  • caperailfancaperailfan Member
    edited January 2013

@Nekki I'm working on getting Racksapce's discount for Spiceworks users. Brings the price down to $1 per mailbox. See http://community.spiceworks.com/pages/Rackspace . But yes right now I have 5 users ($10 per month total) but the cost should be reduced once billing applies the discount on Monday.

@averell Zimbra wants at least 1GB of RAM for testing and recommends 2 to 4 GB for a production instance. I have not been able to find a VPS with 3 GB of RAM that is under $10 per month. I also have to figure out some sort of backup plan if I can find a provider. If I can, I think I would switch.

• @caperailfan said:

@averell Zimbra wants at least 1GB of RAM for testing and recommends 2 to 4 GB for a production instance. I have not been able to find a VPS with 3 GB of RAM that is under $10 per month. I also have to figure out some sort of backup plan if I can find a provider. If I can, I think I would switch.

For email hosting you're better off going with an established provider rather than doing it yourself. The big guys are whitelisted at all the major email providers while a newcomer is going to find all his emails end up in the spam folder.

• bdtechbdtech Member
    edited January 2013

Anyone get better google apps pricing? Looks like $50/yr per user (or $5/mo)

PS Try to avoid self-hosted options and re-inventing the wheel. You can spend your time on more fruitful endeavours.

• I would say open exchange on a vps is a pretty good way to go.

• 1 dedicated thread for request is enough i think.

• @budingyun said: 1 dedicated thread for request is enough i think.

Huh?

• BK_BK_ Member
    edited January 2013
  • DylanDylan Member
    edited January 2013

Outlook/Windows Live Admin Center's 500 free accounts per domain + virtually unlimited storage is pretty hard to beat. Outlook.com's interface is also very, very nice (even though the domain admin center still looks like Hotmail).