Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Affiliate Programs?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Affiliate Programs?

shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep
edited January 2013 in General

I'm wondering whether my fellow LET providers provide affiliate programs to their customers and how much they pay out?
For example I'm a Hivelocity Affiliate member and I get 10% of the recurring bill after 60 days, per customers ordered server.
But for us cheap VPS providers, such as UnmanagedServers.NET, 10% is not a lot so people would not bother with it. Think about it: 10% of $5/month is $0.50/month payout if they get paid 10% recurring. Sure, if they got 100 people to sign up for the highest plan they'd get $400/month total but that's unrealistic to happen. A better thing would be just to pay out one time like 50% but that could bring profits down significantly.
Anyway what sort of affiliate referral programs do you provide?

Comments

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

I give affiliates 30% for life.

• We already don't make profit from LET lowend VPS to be honest (unless performance / service degrades) hence 10% is already a lot.

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

@concerto49 That's why I can offer so much, because web hosting is such a lucrative business :)

• We offer 10% for life or 100% of the first month.

• We don't have any affiliate program. Maybe we should start one, but when i think about all the accounting mess it would create... i prefer to not think about it :)

• LESLES Member
    edited January 2013

Some affiliate programs are not very worthwhile:

SpotVPS/Comforthost - Affiliate Withdrawal Request ignored since 2 months.
    VPS6.net - Affiliate Withdrawal Request ignored since 2 months.
    123Systems - Affiliate Withdrawal Request ignored since 6 months.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited January 2013

@LES i wonder, have you ever withdrawn anything from an affiliate program? If yes, did you declare it as an income in your tax declaration?

edit: Actually this is a general question to everyone, not just to LES.

For instance we as a provider and as a registered company with an accountant and so on can't just pay some money to random individuals around the world.

If you are a company and can give us an invoice for your (marketing / affiliate / referra/ whatever) services - sure, we can pay you. But to pay you as an individual we must employ you - with contract, then taxes need to be paid - for pension, healthcare, income, etc.

So i wonder how the payouts from these affiliate programs are usually handled by the other providers.

• @shovenose said: But for us cheap VPS providers, such as UnmanagedServers.NET,

As if a signature link wasn't enough :)

• LESLES Member

@rds100

Yes, but it's not that much in some cases not paid out in cash (account credit)
    or just gone with deadpool companies.

• We've sent over 200 signups to RamNode which amounts to ~$420. It's recurring at about $60-$100/month.

Considering you can make $200 for referring 1 customer to someone like 100TB there's obviously a reason why most "affiliates" stick to the high paying stuff.

• We are going to be offering a recurring affiliate program soon. We are thinking about 13%, but only on our regular priced plans.

• We have 25% one time, or 10% recurring.

• @serverbear said: We've sent over 200 signups to RamNode which amounts to ~$420. It's recurring at about $60-$100/month.

Ow, :D 200 Sign Up.

• @serverbear

So you're making a pretty penny from this benchmarking? I' somewhat compelled to see how much you make /month on just affiliates alone. I'd expect somewhere between 800->1200+/month after running costs (not staffing costs)>

• @eastonch I post the number of signups on the blog each month :) bit of a mission calculating the actual commissions.

• @serverbear said: We've sent over 200 signups to RamNode which amounts to ~$420. It's recurring at about $60-$100/month.

@serverbear said: I post the number of signups on the blog each month :)

I'm confused, so I went to the blog and looked, and saw 45 for RamNode, but you say 200, so it the blog at 45 the current month and your saying 200 in total?

• @miTgiB said: I'm confused, so I went to the blog and looked, and saw 45 for RamNode, but you say 200, so it the blog at 45 the current month and your saying 200 in total?

Correct.

Considering you can make $200 for referring 1 customer to someone like 100TB there's obviously a reason why most "affiliates" stick to the high paying stuff.

Jesus, that's a pretty number :)

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

I remember this thread :)

But seriously, that's a lot of affiliate income!