Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Favourite Web-Code IDE?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Favourite Web-Code IDE?

eastoncheastonch Member
edited January 2013 in General

Hey!

Quick question, I've been a user of NP++ for a couple of years now; and since then, I've got into PHP and Javascript, but I've found that NP++ just doesnt cut it as much as a fully blown IDE such as NetBeans does for "suggestive" coding and "assistive coding".

Come on, who's going to type the same thing over and over when with a couple of tabs, an IDE can write half your skeleton code for you.

What do people use? And for what language?

I've used Eclipse for Java, NetBeans IDE for PHP and CoffeeCup for HTML.

Personally, NetBeans takes the biscuit. Free, small installs and very good SFTP / Upload management. Perfect for remote editing and local serving.

Thanks.

Comments

• Personally, I use Notepad++ for small things I need to program, if its something that will take me a long time and/or depending which pc I am on, I use Dreamweaver.

• Curtis;

I'm a strong fan of NP++ but I find that when i have a netbeans IDE in front of me for something a little bit more complex and to write the 'skeleton' of the code, then it's brilliant, automatically indents, closes parathenses etc.

• There was another thread about IDEs, but as said Eclipse / Netbeans. Eclipse needs performance fixes though. The new Juno platform (4.2) has a lot of bugs that causes it to slow down. There was a patch released for 4.2.1.

• Geany has a handful of webcode-assisting features.

• Are there any others out there? Perhaps an addon for NP++?

• Somehow a little bit better than NP++, I often use Programmer’s Notepad

• JunJun Member

Dreamweaver in Windows
    Geany in Linux

• Try IntelliJ IDEA for Java.

• Personally I use Aptana Studio these days for bigger projects if I'm with debian. For smaller ones its just gEdit. On Win im going with Npp if something fancy i use rapid php

• @jcaleb

Thanks! I've picked that up, looks really nice for an all-rounder.

• @eastonch said: Thanks! I've picked that up, looks really nice for an all-rounder.

It wouldn't dissapoint you

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

Sublime Text 2. Does the job, and nicely.

• @curtisg, you mean... you don't use an IDE?

I've been using PHPStorm, works well on Linux.

• mojedamojeda Member
    edited January 2013

@liamwithers said: Sublime Text 2. Does the job, and nicely.

+1

Edit-

Sublime Text 2 isn't free ($60), but the trial doesn't have a time limit. It just asks you to purchase a license every 30 saves or something.

• curtisgcurtisg Banned
    edited January 2013

@NickO said: you don't use an IDE?

No, I don't for web-coding, for java I use Eclipse (which I am using right now for just making random shit).

for shits n giggles:

took me 2 hours for that alone. All in java. Might opensource it lol

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

@mojeda said: Sublime Text 2 isn't free ($60), but the trial doesn't have a time limit. It just asks you to purchase a license every 30 saves or something.

Yeah, it's not too much of a pain to be honest :). If I had a spare $60 hanging around though then I'd happily purchase a license, Sublime is pretty, ermm, sublime ;).

• I tried to get into using Sublime Text 2, but having used Vim for a while, it felt so wrong.
    I usually just use Vim in SSH connection when doing web coding stuff.

@eastonch said: Come on, who's going to type the same thing over and over when with a couple of tabs, an IDE can write half your skeleton code for you.

I do :P
    My need for web development mainly consists of HTML, CSS and PHP, sometimes a bit of JavaScript. Stuff I make aren't very big so I have no need for IDE. I'd only use IDE for coding non-web stuff.

Besides, I've fell in love with Vim window splitting. :)

• jhjh Member

Coda for Mac :)

• Phpstorm or sublime

• Started from Eclipse (great for Java), transitioned to Komodo Edit (good for dynamic languages) and currently satisfied with Vim.

• Komodo Edit

• I prefer SciTE. It's lightweight and colors the code. That's all I need.

• WunderbarWunderbar Member
    edited January 2013

Sublime Text with Emmet and SublimeLinter plugins and Soda Dark theme is great.

• @Wunderbar said: with Emmet

Handy, thanks!