Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any provider supports (free or not) snapshot of vps?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any provider supports (free or not) snapshot of vps?

colingptcolingpt Member
edited January 2016 in Help

Hi guys,

I am currently using DigitalOcean who provides free snapshot for their droplets. I built up around 10 backups manfully for my vps now, don't know if there is an amount limitation to do so.

I also tried Vultr before and they did provide the similar feature.

Do you guys know any other providers support this feature (free or not) ?

Thanks for sharing

Thanked by 1rokok

Comments

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

We include free snapshots

Thanked by 2colingpt vimalware
  • @Awmusic12635 said:
    We include free snapshots

good to know that! I have checked your offers posted, looks like they are all ovz boxes. any KVM or XEN plan available?

• JunklessJunkless Member
    edited January 2016

Yeah, impactvps (awmusic above) provide free snapshots.

There are other providers like wable, Aruba etc, which provide paid snapshots.

colingpt said: good to know that! I have checked your offers posted, looks like they are all ovz boxes. any KVM or XEN plan available

Yes, but not at LEB pricing

• @Awmusic12635 said:
    Yes, but not at LEB pricing

Checked your website, didn't find quotes about kvm ones. I assume VDR 4- 20 are ovz, aren't they?

edited January 2016

Checked your website, didn't find quotes about kvm ones. I assume VDR 4- 20 are ovz, aren't they?

Yes they are openvz. I haven't gotten around to putting up the new KVM page yet. Though I have offered it via private sales for the last few months.

Thanked by 1colingpt
  • perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2016

We support live snapshotting on Luna Node, with KVM instances. The first 20 GB of space is free; past that, it is $0.003/GB/mo billed hourly. Snapshots can be taken from the control panel or via our API; the instance does not need to be powered down during snapshotting.

iwStack also supports snapshots, and they use Xen and KVM.

Thanked by 1colingpt
  • Delimiters Cloud Resource Pool and Cloud Storage VPS both support on-demand snapshoting as well as scheduled snapshots.

There is no additional charge for snapshots, the space is taken from your data storage pool.

Thanked by 1colingpt
  • digitalocean and vultr for now. aruba has 50GB ftp for snapshots if I'm not mistaken. how would you backup to aruba ftp, i have no idea.

Thanked by 1colingpt
  • farsighterfarsighter Member
    edited January 2016

As a side note, providers that don't allow to download snapshots for local backup but only charge for hosting them act unfairly IMO (our bandwidth quota can be used for those downloads if that's an issue).

Thanked by 1colingpt
  • farsighter said: As a side note, providers that don't allow to download snapshots for local backup

Who does that? That really defeats the point.

• digitalocean afaik.

MarkTurner said: Who does that? That really defeats the point.

• French provider Nodilex.com offer snapshots. Not sure if free or not.

Thanked by 1colingpt
  • @GM2015 said:
    aruba has 50GB ftp for snapshots if I'm not mistaken.

It's 50 GB for uploading images, but you can't use it for snapshots, if I'm not wrong

• @GM2015 said:
    digitalocean afaik.

and Vutlr, they also don't allow snapshot download.

digitalocean and vultr for now. aruba has 50GB ftp for snapshots if I'm not mistaken. how would you backup to aruba ftp, i have no idea.

this feature is not only used for backup but also can be useful for testing purpose, to restore everything in minutes is just great. :)

MarkTurner and farsighter

Well, you just let me realize that I should be able to download my backup :P.
    Is it possible on your plan? @Awmusic12635 @perennate said:

the instance does not need to be powered down during snapshotting.

amazing feature!

colingpt said: Is it possible on your plan?

Not at the moment, but if you ticket us we will give you a download link. We have been making a large amount of behind the scenes changes to prep for additional features, such as downloading the snapshots.

Thanked by 2colingpt vimalware
  • colingpt said: Well, you just let me realize that I should be able to download my backup :P.

Its critical! I personally use snapshot to generate a point in time backup and then download it for safe keeping.

Also really useful if you want to deploy the same image across multiple providers.

• @Geekoine said:
    It's 50 GB for uploading images, but you can't use it for snapshots, if I'm not wrong

@MarkTurner @GM2015

I find something here

On Aruba Cloud Computing you can create a single Snapshot at a time and it will be kept for 2 days: after this period the Snapshot will be deleted. Keeping the SnapShot is free and does not incur any additional costs.

• Yeah, it's great if you have dedicated servers and some virtualization like proxmox/virtualbox/etc in place.

MarkTurner said: Its critical! I personally use snapshot to generate a point in time backup and then download it for safe keeping.

Also really useful if you want to deploy the same image across multiple providers.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2016

colingpt said: Is it possible on your plan? @Awmusic12635 @perennate said:

Yes, on Luna Node you can download snapshots from the Images sidebar tab (just select an image and then click download button). Recently it has also been made available in the API. There's a pretty cool project at https://github.com/rickparrish/lndbackup that might be useful (automatic remote backup).

Thanked by 3colingpt sin vimalware
  • GeekoineGeekoine Member
    edited January 2016

@colingpt said:

perhaps, I was wrong:-)

• GM2015 said: Yeah, it's great if you have dedicated servers and some virtualization like proxmox/virtualbox/etc in place.

For my personal VMs, I run daily automated snapshots and then just download them automatically and push them to Hubic ;)

• @MarkTurner said:

Hi, just checked some of your offers, sounds great especially double resource on annul plan. Which location do you provide? any test IP? thanks

• colingpt said: Which location do you provide? any test IP? thanks

Atlanta but LA, NY are hot in its heels.

• Hey, we provide One-Click Snapshots.

Pricing is £0.002 per hour, regardless of the disk size and any other factors.

Snapshots are stored on a dedicated snapshot store.

@colingpt said:
    Hi guys,

I am currently using DigitalOcean who provides free snapshot for their droplets. I built up around 10 backups manfully for my vps now, don't know if there is an amount limitation to do so.

I also tried Vultr before and they did provide the similar feature.

Do you guys know any other providers support this feature (free or not) ?

Thanks for sharing

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • XVM Labs allow snapshots. I do not know their parent company but probably the main company also might allow snapshots.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

BuyVM has snapshots and nightly backups on all 256MB+ OpenVZ plans :)

Francisco

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Add Secure Dragon to this list (OpenVZ only).

• @DreamCaster said:
    XVM Labs allow snapshots. I do not know their parent company but probably the main company also might allow snapshots.

BandwagonHost

• @Francisco said:
    BuyVM has snapshots

Can they be user-triggered or only scheduled type?

on all 256MB+ OpenVZ plans :)