Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any interest in another storage server VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any interest in another storage server VPS?

NickMNXioNickMNXio Member, Host Rep
edited January 2016 in General

We've been toying with the idea to add a storage based VPS to our mix. Here is the rough specs:

• 1-4 cores
  • 1GB RAM per 1TB of storage (to a max of 50T)
  • SSD read & write caching
  • $40/TB / month

Any interest? Comments?

Thanks!

Thanked by 1rokok

Comments

• I guess those prices are monthly? Then I'm afraid there are way better offers out there.

• NickMNXioNickMNXio Member, Host Rep

Yes, priced monthly. Thanks for the feedback!

Thanked by 1Traffic
  • Nic_20TBSSDNic_20TBSSD Member
    edited January 2016

@Traffic said:
    I guess those prices are monthly? Then I'm afraid there are way better offers out there.

I would say it might depend on the location, if EU then time4vps has him beat by a long shot. I have not seen many cheap US storage offers.

Yeah -- we would be deploying to our US location near Chicago.

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited January 2016

@Nic_20TBSSD said:

I have several exclusive EthernetServers storage offers (US-based) on my site (up to 400 GB storage), all costing way less than that.

However I understand every company doesn't have to compete in every single market segment, and has the right to specialize given their abilities and the deals they are able to make.

EDIT: Also I can see you are able to provide a much bigger diskspace. That would actually be something different.

Thanked by 1Nic_20TBSSD
  • rokokrokok Member
    edited January 2016

Gonna buy if $40 / TB / Year

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog

@Traffic said:
    EDIT: Also I can see you are able to provide a much bigger diskspace. That would actually be something different.

Yes, we could spin up 50TB instances (and 50GB RAM in this case), or anywhere in between.

• A 1TB disk costs $50 (without raid, caching etc ofc) delimiter slot hosting is $10/mo. Work it out.

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited January 2016

Why would you use ssd for backup servers?

I assume it's for simple backups, not like mysql slaves and whatever advanced setups you sysadmins can do.

NickMNXio said: SSD read & write caching

$40/TB / month

@GM2015 said:
    Why would you use ssd for backup servers?

I assume it's for simple backups, not like mysql slaves and whatever advanced setups you sysadmins can do.

Since this is multi-tenant -- the read/write caching will allow a high level of performance for all customers. We generally deploy the Intel DC S3710 for write caching, and DC S3510 for read caching (this is running atop of a ZFS based filesystem fyi).

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

NickMNXio said: $40/TB / month

Very expensive. I can get a dedicated server with two or even four disks at this price.

Thanked by 3GM2015 netomx doghouch
  • @Nyr said:
    Very expensive. I can get a dedicated server with two or even four disks at this price.

You could get two Dacentec servers totalling to 8TB of storage for this price. With 8GB ram each and 100% dedicated resources.

• Traffic said: I have several exclusive EthernetServers storage offers (US-based) on my site (up to 400 GB storage), all costing way less than that.

That's incorrect comparison in my book. As for US I would rather compare with HostHatch, Backupsy, Delimiter and SpeedyKVM, which offer 1TB KVM VPS for about $16-20/month. So $40/m is really too high anyway.

• bersy said: That's incorrect comparison in my book. As for US I would rather compare with HostHatch, Backupsy, Delimiter and SpeedyKVM, which offer 1TB KVM VPS for about $16-20/month. So $40/m is really too high anyway.

Later in the post I recognized they offer way more space in addition to the ability to scale much easier, and that's their USP. However it's a fact that when compared to the price per GB of the offer I mentioned, OP's offer is expensive.

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

Yeah I have a @Dacentec $20/mo box with 2TB of storage.

$40/mo seems a little high to me...

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Hard for OP to compete on Just $/gb.

Any extra features on your platform like dediserve? Is it a homebrewed control panel?

• Thats steep rather colo disk in delimiter.

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • delimiter does it cheaper since they had 4TB for $20 except it was objectstorage

Thanked by 1MarkTurner

Thanks all for the feedback.

@vimalware said:
    Hard for OP to compete on Just $/gb.

Any extra features on your platform like dediserve? Is it a homebrewed control panel?

The price of $40 could be pushed lower with LET discounts of course :) but probably not much lower than $30/TB. This would be pretty high performing storage with capabilities of 10k+ 4k write IOPs -- so maybe not just a backup solution, but primary storage for various applications.

A different option that focuses less on performance may be a better fit here.. I'll review that option tomorrow and see how it drives the pricing.

We do have a home brewed control panel and our hypervisor platform is based on SmartOS. So we have the ability to deploy native ZFS VM's running SmartOS or LX-linux instances.

• @NickMNXio said:

So we have the ability to deploy native ZFS VM's running SmartOS or LX-linux instances.

Make us an offer we can't refuse to get a proper taste .

128mb yearly offers on zfs please :) .

The clients(or their future employers) who actually appreciate the value of zfs will upgrade to higher tiers for mission-critical things.

(at least that's the working theory about user evangelism)

• $40/m is insane.

Thanked by 1NickMNXio

@gitreset said:
    $40/m is insane.

Some of the pricing I see:
    Vultr 1TB storage nodes: $43/month
    Backupsy 1TB: $40/month (without 40% coupon)

Sure there are other cheaper options, but insane it doesn't seem to me.

• It's not a bad price, just many people on this forum won't likely buy it.

NickMNXio said: Some of the pricing I see: Vultr 1TB storage nodes: $43/month Backupsy 1TB: $40/month (without 40% coupon)

Sure there are other cheaper options, but insane it doesn't seem to me.

• @NickMNXio said:
    Backupsy 1TB: $40/month

Those weren't their customer acquisition phase prices. A lot of us became fans after signing on to the irresistible $7/500gb specials(this was 2013 IIRC) and being blown away with the customer service too.

Voila, they won an army of product evangelists; beats a questionable ad-spend.
    (I'm just speculating of course)

I understand you have more Disk,ram,cpu overhead with bulk ZFS storage offerings.

That's why even a 10gb Disk small plan is necessary to get anyone here to bite.

Spending your own money is more painful than billing one's corporate overlords.

Thanked by 1NickMNXio
  • edited January 2016

@NickMNXio said:
    Thanks all for the feedback.

Out of my price range, but would be nice for extremely high performance remote mounted storage (i.e. XtreemFS/Ceph/Gluster) at that high iops depending on latency. However, if your offering this with 1G uplinks, then it is not very useful.

People might want lower IOPS for cheaper. You can throttle those with SmartOS, so it shouldn't be hard to provide a "list" that people can choose from for what guaranteed IOPS they want. Just create various zones for various IOPS, and should be on your way.

Thanked by 1vimalware

Thanks all for the feedback!

I reviewed the way we would deploy this and looks like we could put this out there at $7/500GB -- so $14/TB/month -- up to 50TB.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

NickMNXio said: I reviewed the way we would deploy this and looks like we could put this out there at $7/500GB -- so $14/TB/month -- up to 50TB.

Honestly, this looks a lot nicer. Maybe others are different, but if I required high/guaranteed performance I would be deploying dedicated servers.

It all depends on the market you want to target.

Thanked by 2netomx doghouch
  • @NickMNXio said:
    so $14/TB/month

would this be scalable without the need switching to a new vps?
    how is virtualization done with smartos? afair there is the possibility for doing some KVM like stuff, which would allow the choice of OS and own kernels etc...

Falzo said: would this be scalable without the need switching to a new vps? how is virtualization done with smartos? afair there is the possibility for doing some KVM like stuff, which would allow the choice of OS and own kernels etc...

Thanks for the comment. This would be deployed as a KVM based Linux instance, FreeBSD instance, or SmartOS instance. You would be able to resize from 500GB -> any size with a reboot.

Thanked by 2vimalware Falzo
  • $40/TB/month to $14/TB/month drop is very steep drop in price.
    But I like it. For a comparison I pay $20 USD for 2TB X 2 dedi at dacentec.
    Of course this was on a promotion.