Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Custom Nameservers @ Minds&Machines
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Custom Nameservers @ Minds&Machines

I bought a cheap .work domain at M&M and see that support is taking Christmas/NewYears off (back January 4). I've had a look at the FAQ, but I don't see how to create/use custom nameservers so I can point them to my VPS. If it can be done by me, don't need support to do something for me, please could anyone enlighten me on how to set this up?

Comments

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2015

https://www.mindsandmachines.com/faq#3-a

You can change your nameservers through your domain settings page. Once at the domain settings page click the settings icon next to 'Nameservers'. By clicking 'Custom' you can enter your own nameservers. You must have a minimum of two nameservers to save changes.

?

• Yes. I tried putting in my nameserver, for example, ns1.mydomain.work, and when I mouse over the save button I see a circle with a diagonal line in it and the option isn't available. What am I doing wrong?

PS. Bind is already set up on the VPS and ns1 and ns2 resolve to the VPS

• You must have a minimum of two nameservers to save changes.

• Thanks. I could now add two nameservers. When I try to save I get the error message ns1.mydomain.work is not a valid nameserver.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

@Wolf said:
    You must have a minimum of two nameservers to save changes.

• you have to register them first, there should be an option to set NS and add IP.

if not then you cant.

• I don't see any way to register nameservers. Maybe I shouldn't expect too much for my $1.39 or whatever .work domain name. I guess I'll just go buy a .com at namecheap or namesilo. I must be a slow learner under the "you get what you pay for" heading in the domain name space. LET has provided many examples of hosting providers where that maxim is not true.

• https://www.namesilo.com/Support/Troubleshooting-Custom-Name-Servers

MTUser2012 said: I don't see any way to register nameservers. Maybe I shouldn't expect too much for my $1.39 or whatever .work domain name. I guess I'll just go buy a .com at namecheap or namesilo. I must be a slow learner under the "you get what you pay for" heading in the domain name space. LET has provided many examples of hosting providers where that maxim is not true.