Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to purchase a 2-byte ASN
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Want to purchase a 2-byte ASN

XIAOSpider97XIAOSpider97 Member
edited December 2015 in Requests

Anyone willing to sell 2-byte ASNs? (If number is 4 dights instead of 5, then it's best)

Or we can just go direct with RIRs, but...

We need a 2-byte ASN but we need to write justification to prove that one of our BGP providers doesn't support 4-byte ASNs.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• @AlexanderM can do an APNIC

@William could do a RIPE possibly? Just say your provider doesnt support 4 byte due to older hardware

Thanked by 1AlexanderM
  • @TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    Just say your provider doesnt support 4 byte due to older hardware

But providers' peer list has some 4 byte ASNs... so it is easy for RIPE to find out my lie.

• Why do you need a 2 byte ASN?

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2015

There is no technical reason for you to have a 2 byte ASN. You will rarely have a reason to use a 16bit ASN these days unless you offer transit to someone. I don't think of any major player today that wouldn't support 32bit ASN.

If you need 2 byte for some commercial reasons, stop scamming RIPE and buy it from someone willing to sell.

• @XIAOSpider97 said:
    We need a 2-byte ASN

Why?

• @Clouvider said:
    If you need 2 byte for some commercial reasons, stop scamming RIPE and buy it from someone willing to sell.

I saw a guy asked for offers, but seems it's hard to buy.

Actually I don't want to lie to RIPE.

• Clouvider said: major player today that wouldn't support 32bit ASN.

oh yea, welcome to South America.

Telmex

Claro

America Movil

Might have changed since 2013, but i doubt it.

Thanked by 2Kris Clouvider
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Thanks for sharing @William. :)

• It gets even better, back in 2012 Claro Chile was not even able to accept 4byte ASNs IN PATH of a customer, blocking usage of them at any of their downstreams.... was since then fixed, but that took a while.

Thanked by 1Kris
  • William said: oh yea, welcome to South America.

Ah, South America. smh. That was a PITA to expand to.

One ISP just stopped responding to sales requests. Luckily I had a connection who helped things along, including equipment, as things tend to go missing in customs when being shipped into Brazil.

Took 3+ months to get on http://ix.br/ even when I had ALOG, etc. trying to expedite.

• I can provide one, U know how to find me.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited August 2017

deamwork said: I can provide one, U know how to find me.

Please refrain from bumping very old threads in future. Thank you.
    Warning has been applied to user.

• 2 year necro, are you serious?

This discussion has been closed.