Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Creating a Load Balancer for SolusVM VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Creating a Load Balancer for SolusVM VPS

I run a small VPS hosting company. How should I go about creating a load-balancing system like Linodes, where users can select VPS from two locations and load-balance them for high availability? I'm planning to use KVM for virtualization. I understand this may be a difficult project but I'd like to complete it in a 7-8 months if possible. I'm using SolusVM and planning to code a frontend wrapper using their API to include our own new features. So in this scenario, what would you guys recommend?

Comments

• OnApp cloud?

• xavconxavcon Member
    edited December 2015

No, I don't want to use premade solutions, on the other hand onApp is way too expensive.

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

SolusVM is not really the best software in that case. I suggest, OnApp, OpenStack/CloudStack, Proxmox with a bit of dev.

• century1stopcentury1stop Member
    edited December 2015

As far as I know, SolusVM 2 is supposed to have it. Other than that I believe you'll probably need HAproxy or something

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@century1stop said:
    As far as I know, SolusVM 2 is supposed to have that

Highly doubt onapp would let SolusVM cut into the OnApp side of sales while undercutting the price by so much. Maybe they'll expand some cross integration, but past that....

Francisco

• you're probably right, .......... on the other hand, solus is losing out to proxmox and alike in terms of HA, guess we'll have to wait and see :)

@Francisco said:

Thanked by 1xavcon
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
  • @Francisco said:

OnApp owns SolusVM now right?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Nic_20TBSSD said:

Mhmmm

Francisco

• Any improvements with OnApp owning SolusVM or same ol SolusVM story?

• @Clouvider said:
    Ditlev NullMind

they are busy developing new pricing :)

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

xavier said: they are busy developing new pricing :)

hum?

• kingcobs999kingcobs999 Member
    edited December 2015

@century1stop said:
    you're probably right, .......... on the other hand, solus is losing out to proxmox and alike in terms of HA, guess we'll have to wait and see :)

Only if there was a decent WHMCS module available for Proxmox instead of that crappy & buggy one by ModulesGarden it could have become industry standard by 2013 at most.

On the other hand I have to admit that SolusVM is a fine choice if you want to virtualise a few dedicated servers for personal use but for production it is just like using Windows 95 in 2016. I have been hearing about SolusVM v2 since 2012 & almost 4 years later we have seen nothing except a few screenshots a video. And as @Francisco elaborated expect almost nothing in terms of cloud features in SolusVM v2 as well.

• doughmanesdoughmanes Member
    edited December 2015

kingcobs999 said: it could have become industry standard by 2013 at most.

That's because laziness of "off the shelf" providers and aspiring providers.

I don't know why Hostigation and other have survived (plus switched) to Proxmox with such limitations by folks. The first hosting provider I worked for coming up on 6 years ago had Proxmox before this Modules Garden Proxmox module ever existed.

• no more documentation for solusvm 2, link's there but goes nowhere :D
    proxmox itself look crappy, no?

@kingcobs999 said:

>

• Something like haproxy or nginx reverse proxy? Should be easy enough to set up, you could even use internal only IP's or IPv6. I did something like this using Nginx to provide web access for NAT VPS clients, and one of my friends build a kinda working addon to ClientExec using PHP's SSH functions and some dodgy bash scripts. Sadly I ended up scrapping the idea and doing it all manually, but I'm sure if you have a dedicated team you could work something really nice out. A full control panel and API like Linode has would also be awesome!

You can even do full TCP load balancing using haproxy, and everything else like SSL/health checks/multi port is also included. Why don't you want to use a premade solution? Do you mean premade like haproxy or premade like the whole control panel? If you want to write your own TCP load balancer from scratch like I'm sure Linode's it it would be a massive project...

• xavconxavcon Member
    edited December 2015

@linuxthefish: I was thinking to code a frontend wrapper with solusvm api for the clients where we could add some extra features as one click installs etc. But SolusVM api doesn't let you access all the kvm features and it is sort of restricted (e.g: you can't access/modify the VPS xml config file, is one of those restrictions). I could hack up a code to do this loadbalancer thing using ssh to do the magic once the vps is created but this is not a proper approach.

If Solus API let us access all the KVM featureset, we could do amazing things with it.

This why I asked here so I can get an input from good people like you.

Thanks

Thanked by 1AlexBarakov
  • linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited December 2015

xavcon said: But SolusVM api doesn't let you access all the kvm features

It would be much easier to do it the other way around, as in adding some custom tabs to SolusVM for "Load Balancer" and "Extra KVM Features". Even so I can't see many ways around having to hack something together and sacrificing scalability/usability in the process.

https://documentation.solusvm.com/display/DOCS/Creating+Custom+Client+Area+Pages

It's not too well documented but the developer kit download includes some useful stuff that's very easy to get basic stuff working.

EDIT: Check out SolusVM hooks, but I've never found these to be too useful.

Thanked by 1xavcon
  • century1stop said: proxmox itself look crappy, no?

If you're going by looks alone, you're going to be deeply disappointed. 99.9% of the hate of Proxmox comes from folks who can't program a custom WHMCS module for Proxmox which many providers have such a module or won't hire somebody. They're looking for $100 or less, point and click, download, upload and install type stuff. SolusVM is easier but why would you dislike the ability to run OpenVZ and KVM on the same hardware which SolusVM can't do?

• @littlefish: do you have skype?

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited December 2015

@century1stop said:
    As far as I know, SolusVM 2 is supposed to have it. Other than that I believe you'll probably need HAproxy or something

Time to be a "@GM2015":

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! SOLUSVM2??? YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING MEEE!!!!!!!HH AHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHA! LIKE IT WILL EVER COEME OUT :333

• hey, you didn't get a spam block message?

@doghouch said:
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! SOLUSVM2??? YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING MEEE!!!!!!!HH AHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHA! You have got to be kidding me.

• kingcobs999 said: Only if there was a decent WHMCS module available for Proxmox instead of that crappy & buggy one by ModulesGarden it could have become industry standard by 2013 at most.

If my memory serves correct, one of our guy was trying to develop a proxmox module for WHMCS (Which was planned to give Free) but some incident was happen to him. Couldn't remember much, will update the thread soon.

• @jarland enjoy the notifications..

Thanked by 1wych
  • @century1stop said:
    no more documentation for solusvm 2, link's there but goes nowhere :D
    proxmox itself look crappy, no?

Proxmox just looks unattractive but it has lot more features than SolusVM and very minimal bugs compared to Virtualizor. No idea what happened to HostGuard though as they had made lot of claims as to why it was going to be better than the competition.

• @kingcobs999: No doubt proxmox has more features than SolusVM but auto assigning IPs in a kvm guest is a bitch.

• hmm, hostguard looks good. gonna test it out shortly :D

@kingcobs999 said:
    Proxmox just looks unattractive but it has lot more features than SolusVM and very minimal bugs compared to Virtualizor. No idea what happened to HostGuard though as they had made lot of claims as to why it was going to be better than the competition.

• @century1stop said:
    hmm, hostguard looks good. gonna test it out shortly :D

That thing appears to be just another SolusVM wanna be which means hosting providers & customers will get nothing. At 5$ per node looks like they are targeting summer hosts & those whose sales depend on low end segment of the market only. What else does it offer that people should prefer it over the competition.

Thanked by 1century1stop
  • To the original question, would you ever consider using a DNS based load balancing system?

• XSXXSX Member, Host Rep

If you already have a strong business, dedicated servers are a better choice, Like database you should be use local network and server.

cloud ? what is cloud? cloud is what?